Dog cries when she poops

Dog cries when she poops

Vet told me to put my dog on stool softener for two weeks, add pumpkin and can food to her food. Did all that. A month later, Zoe a 10lb Chihuahua still cries when she poops. I reduced the amount of dry food quite a bit, added more pumpkin.

Her poop is smaller but she still cries. There's so much poop! Even after reducing her meals

Any suggestions?

you could get metamucil cookies. For a tiny dog like you have I"d give one cookie a day, they make the apple cinnamon flavor that most dogs love and this will give them the extra fiber to make the stool softer and easier to pass. Pumpkin is added for loose stools, it will firm them up I would not use pumpkin if they are having a hard time to have a bowel movement. Try the metamucil cookies.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks so much. I will give that a try

Linda offers great advice and I hope it works out for your little one. It's horrible for Zoe to cry when going to the bathroom...poor thing. Please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Do you make the dry food wet , if I feed my small dog dry food without adding water to it he has a hard time pooping.

Same to you Nightowl, sounds like he needs more fiber, try the metamucil cookie, it won't hurt him and if it doesn't work for you you haven't lost anything
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.