Diggy Exonerated!

Diggy Exonerated!

Diggy the Dog’s Internet Fame Almost Cost Him His New Home

By Daniel Victor
    New York Times
    Sept. 15, 2016

Diggy, the block-headed rescue pup with a goofy smile, seemed to be thrilled by his new owner in a selfie that spread across the internet in June.

But Diggy’s online fame nearly cost him his new home. Having seen the viral photo, the police in Waterford Township, Mich., told Dan Tillery, the dog’s owner, that he had violated the township’s ban on owning pit bulls and that Diggy would have to be returned to the Detroit Dog Rescue.

That set off a legal battle in which Mr. Tillery, who was charged with an ordinance violation, had what he believed to be a pretty clear defense: Diggy isn’t a pit bull, though he may look like one. Mr. Tillery offered documents from two veterinarians to confirm the dog’s breed, hoping that would prevent the authorities from taking his dog.

Yet Diggy’s status remained uncertain for months. Meanwhile, Diggy’s supporters crowded township meetings, state legislators considered a bill that would prohibit local bans on specific breeds, and more than 100,000 people signed a petition asking officials to let Diggy off the hook.

On Tuesday, Diggy, Mr. Tillery and their supporters got news that would let them smile again: Charges were dismissed in the 51st District Court, assuring that dog and owner could stay together.

Full story: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/us...ding.html?_r=0

This is so great! I hate the the misconception that all pitties are aggressive dogs. Most of the pitties that I know are the biggest softies and sweethearts!

My granddog was a Pit bull mix and she was a sweetheart ! She loved having her butt rubbed and would bang her tail against the stove at same time. I miss that cute butt she always put in my face for a rub!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.