Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is this Breed?

What is this Breed?

Ok so i am in the midst of moving and "bully dogs" are not allowed. (Pit bulls, Shepard, rots etc.) My baby Jax is a golden ret, pit, Shepard, Sharpe, rot, and lab mix. He is a sweetheart. But i need to know what I should ask the vet to switch his description to so i dont have problems moving in. I refuse to go anywhere without him, and he is such a good dog. I wish places wouldn't discriminate. I'll attach a picture and if you all could help me figure out what he should be listed as i would appreciate it. Currently he is listed at the vet as Shepard mix, but thats not going to work obviously.

I appreciate everyone's time and input! Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...XoyZHNOZmdrcUE

It is a Google drive link

unfortunately its clear he is a shepherd mix. The shape of the eyes, and nose and even the black saddle on his back suggests shepherd, Good luck finding a vet that will say he is not part shepherd. Maybe you could find a place that will accept him if you have to move. Breed restrictions are a bad idea, to many nice dogs, despite their breed wind up in shelters just because they have a certain look. I wish you the best of luck finding a place with him, I hate to see a good dog separated from his loving family because stupid people think a whole breed is bad because of what a few do. Judge the deed, not the breed, these dogs can't help it if they have dumb owners that never trained them to be good. No dog is born bad regardless of its breed, its people that make them what they are.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

He is my other half there is no way It would even cross my mind to go anywhere without him. I'll fight tooth and nail. At the end of the day he is considered to me to be my child and ill do whatever it takes!

I'm thinking golden ret, hound, bernese mt dog mix. My vet and I are really close, im sure I won't have a problem

I know where you are coming from but the problem may not be with your vet. Unless he does DNA testing on the dog to know exactly what he is other people seeing him where you are planning on going may cause a stink about his breed or what they think his breed is. If you feel he is not a breed on their "hit list" have the DNA done then if there is an issue you can prove it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

By the way my home owners insurance canceled me because I refused to get rid of my shepherd. They claim its to much of a risk for liability. I will not part with my dog just because someone says so.

That's just terrible. All because of irresponsible owners.

I know bu tit is what it is. If the place you are considering has the ban and its the landlord and not the county you might be able to persuade him to meet the dog and see for himself that he poses on danger to anyone.

these idiot people that create the breed restrictions don't realize ANY dog can bite. So its totally unfair to ban just specific breeds. Ban them all or ban none. When they say certain breeds are more likely to bite, maybe, but what about the dog that has never shown any aggression then all of a sudden bites someone? These people have tunnel vision, anything with teeth can bite. As for me I'd rather have a dog that I can depend on to protect me if the need arises. Far as I'm concerned its better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!

There are never any small dog restrictions and i know first hand many people especially children get bit by them more often then a big dog. None of it makes any sense. I would say if a vet or a meet and great would provide significant evidence that a dog is not a threat then there shouldnt be any restrictions.

A lot of people get bit and its their own fault. They startle the dog, they disturb it when its sleeping or eating and people that let their children walk or run up to strange dogs. Anyone with any common sense will NOT encourage strangers to go up to the dog. But you see it all the time. "my kid loves dogs" well maybe the dog doesn't like kids, the dog bites, you get sued, maybe loose the dog, all because of someone's else stupidity.

beagle also can have a black saddle on their back , collies do too. You could try and see what other breed of dogs have a black saddle on their . I was at my insurance office and said I was thinking of getting a GS mixed dog after my hearing dog died . One of the agent shook her head 'No'. CRAP ! I had forgotten all about the ban on GS dogs , I would never had said anything otherwise. My hearing dog wore a gentle leader he was a black Standard Poodle and I had so many asked me if he bite . I got so fed up being asking this all the time so I started telling people all dogs can bite ! I was at a grocery store and I was checking out with my hearing dog and there was a couple standing far back from me and I was reading their lips , the woman asked the guy what was around my dog mouth and the guy said a muzzle b/c the dog bite then he started to act like he was biting . I got so pissed off b/c I live in a very small city and some people are very afraid of black dogs and I didn't want any rumors flying around about my hearing dog. I told the couple I can read your lips and you're wrong I told them my dog NOT wearing a muzzle and he doesn't bite and that you should be careful about talking about people ! Their faces got bright red and everyone was looking at me. I had to made it clear that my dog was not a dangerous dog like the 2 fools said he was. There are so many people uneducated about dogs. GRRR!

I agree nightowl that other breeds also have a black saddle but if you look at the last picture of this dog you will see traces of silver around the neck and behind the front legs before the saddle. That is shepherd markings. Its unfortunate that dogs are labeled because of their breed but the only way to know for sure what this dog is is to have a dna test done.

I know what breed he is. Im just trying to come up with a mix of dogs that will be believable. They dont want to meet him just want a picture and vet paper stating. I guess I could just talk it up with my vet and they'll thibk of something better theb just Shepard mix. That was the description I gave my vet when i got him as a puppy. Didn't realize i was going to run in to problems having a gentle 108 pound baby that is very shy and scared of everything including his shadow. He absolutely LOVES kids and other animals. The only time he gets scared is around grown men and he'll just run away with his tail between his legs and hide. Im not sure where this came from but it's weird because he develops a close bond with my male best friends when they come around on a consistent basis .

His mom was golden ret. Pitbull mix. The dad was they think Shepard, Sharpe, rot, and lab. By the looks of all the other puppies from the liter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.