New turtle owners here!

New turtle owners here!

Hi everyone!

My father and law and I went out yesterday to buy plants for the fish aquarium. In the parking lot I said: We should get a turtle! and he looked at me and said: We SHOULD get a turtle! And so we did.

We got a testudo tortoise. So far everything is great. The little guy seems to like it here. We got him an starter set (enclosure with lamps). We got him an hiding place, water basin. We have a few questions:

Right now we are using fir bark is that okay? He is a messy eater so a lot of his food lands on the ground and he almost eat a big piece of bark.

We got him a new hiding place today he loves it! He darted in there the second we put it down. I am just worrying that he is not getting enough of the UV light.

We have not seen any poop yet. It is possible it is somewhere in the bark, we are not sure.

How much is he supposed to drink?

A lot of questions but we want to do everything right! We looked up a lot of stuff online but sometimes information is contradicting.

Welcome Joe! My advice to anyone getting a pet is this: "DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE YOU ADOPT OR BUY A PET!" I've never had turtles but I would suggest you start by asking the pet store manager for advice...whatever it takes to make sure this little creature you took home doesn't get sick or die on your watch. Please get help right away and figure it out. Good luck for your turtle's sake.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Hello! I definitely agree with Esme about doing prior research. As for your questions, I'm not an expert at all but I'd like to give you an idea. If you ever get a pet and have questions, I find the best way to get quick answers is to buy a reliable book devoted to your animal. As for your questions:

"Right now we are using fir bark is that okay? He is a messy eater so a lot of his food lands on the ground and he almost eat a big piece of bark."
    In general, fir bark is a great and common substrate for tortoises, but if you're worried about your little guy ingesting some of it, I'd just try to get a food dish or if you already have one a larger food dish so that his food doesn't touch the substrate. If he does ingest the bark it could be pretty bad, so please just be cautious.

"
    We got him a new hiding place today he loves it! He darted in there the second we put it down. I am just worrying that he is not getting enough of the UV light."
    If your tortoise doesn't get enough UV light his shell could start rising which is very painful so I'd get either a stronger bulb or place the lamp in a place that he goes often. Also keep an eye on him to make sure he's basking properly.

"
    We have not seen any poop yet. It is possible it is somewhere in the bark, we are not sure."
    Tortoises may take up to 3 days to poop, so it may not be a huge thing to worry about.

"
    How much is he supposed to drink? "
    Tortoises are used to not getting lots of water to drink, so they don't do it very often. Just make sure you keep giving your tortoise FRESH clean water each day to bath or drink from.

Hi, and sorry this is late reply but for anyone that is wondering the same thing! Hopefully this confirmed what you're doing Joe!

Last edited by Riley; 11-15-2016 at 04:42 PM. Reason: To add detail

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.