Health problem with my cat, leg paralysis

Health problem with my cat, leg paralysis

Hello all,

My cat recently got sick. She's 12 and she started not feeling well about a month ago. We took her to the vet, did blood exams and found nothing wrong, but it seemed as she had a pain in her back leg. The vet said it might be because of old age.

Then, after some weeks it got worse and now she's dragging her back legs, having constipation problems and generally things are not looking good. We already took her to couple of vets, the one said it might be just an inflammation and she's taking cortisone right now. (she's been taking it for 5 days now with no improvement). The other vet said that it might be something more serious and that we should prepare ourselves for the worst.

So I was trying to find more info about what might causing this and I'd thought to ask.

Thank you in advance

Hello and welcome. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, I haven't had any experience with something like that, but the first thing that I thought of was an issue with the spine/discs/nerves. Did the vet xray the spine for problems? I can't imagine how upset your are right now, poor little girl. If I come across any information that may be useful to you, I'll be sure to post it here. Good luck, hugs to both of you.

Maybe something like this, more common in dogs but still occurs in cats. http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...c-disease.aspx

Hey, thanx for replying. Yeah, I'm pretty upset... especially knowing that it might come to euthanasia.

Yeah we did some x-rays, it doesn't seem to be disks or injuries but the second doctor believes that it might be something with nerves.
    And because she's old they don't recommend surgery. I thought someone here might had similar experience. Or at least to share my sadness

I'm so sorry to hear about your cat's problems. I'm with you and would not put her through surgery. I was thinking a steroid injection and medication can help a bit. It's never easy when they grow old, and I truly hope things turn around for your little girl. What's her name?
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Her name is Lilly
    The thing is she was always healthy and i thought she's gonna live a lot more. I didn't even realize until now that she got old.

That's a lovely name...one of my kittens has the same name but only 1 "L" But you never know and things could turn around for her. Every day is a gift and try to spend as much time as you can with her. Lilly knows she's loved but you need to think positive for her. Take care and hang in there. Believe me I know it's not easy.

That's the thing though... I'm not with her. I'm in Berlin and she's with my mother in Athens. And my previous cat died while I was away as well
    Of course if she doesn't get better I will go back to, you know, be there...
    But I can't before the end of the month. I just hope I'm gonna see her again one more time.

Glad your mother is taking care of Lilly for you, I hope you can see her one more time. Wishing the best for all of you.

I'm sorry to hear that you are not there in person. However, you can still be in contact. I would call your mom and ask her to place the phone near Lilly’s ear so she can hear your voice. Also, if you have an article of clothing with your scent on it your mom can place it by Lilly for comfort. Hope this helps you stay in touch with her.

I am really sorry about your cats condition i really hope she doesn't have to go surgery. Leg paralysis could mean athritis and sometimes diabetes. it would be paramount for your cat to undergo a complete diagnosis to determine exactly what she could be ailing from so that she can get treatment as early as possible.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.