Do Dogs Understand?

Do Dogs Understand?

My dog died in my vet's office after a pyometra surgery. I can't stop thinking that I wasn't there for her when she took her last breathe. She was surrounded by strangers. Does she know that I was trying to help her?

I am so very sorry for your loss. This is such a shock and I understand how you feel. It's rare that I have been there at the end for any of my animals. But I'm sure she knew that you loved her and you did what was best for her. You can’t beat yourself up for it but I know that's not very comforting at this time. Life is just not fair and to lose her after surgery is a horrible thing.

Dogs are more intelligent that we give them credit for. She knew she wasn't well and that you took her someplace to make her better. If she could talk she'd tell you you did the best you could for her and she forgives you not being there with her when she died. Just think of the good times you had with her, she will live on in your heart and even though you can't see her she is always with you. My sympathies to you for loosing her.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you. I can't stop thinking about her. I can't stop wondering if there was something more that I could have done for her. Was she showing earlier symptoms that I missed? I don't think I've ever been in this much pain.

That's only natural that you can't stop going over and over it in your mind. For me whenever I lost one of my animals I felt like I couldn't breathe, my heart did literally ache and I couldn't stop crying. It's a horrible thing to go through but I believe that she did know you tried to help her and you loved her. She will live on in your heart forever but still not having her there in the flesh is tough to handle. What was her name? Also if you have a picture of her to post and a story to tell about her that may help with your grief. I feel for you.

She knew you loved her, very sorry for your loss.

Her name was Xena. She was a beautiful St. Bernard that was taken too soon. She was only 6 years old. She loved everybody and everybody loved her. I keep hoping that I wake up from this terrible nightmare.

Xena3.jpg

Such a beautiful dog and a lovely name to match. I know how you feel and you wish you would wake up from this nightmare...but things will get better and the pain will ease up. Xena will always live in your heart and memory. Please try to remember her as happy and sweet. Hang in there.

I am so sorry to hear of the lost of your beautiful friend .

I am very sorry for your loss and I understand that it's painful. But I'm sure that she felt your love for her.

Xena looks so precious, I know you miss her very much. Give yourself time to grieve, time will make things better, she'll always be with you in spirit.

I think most people here are all too familiar with that terrible cold, clammy, traumatic feeling wracking you now, having been in related situations. You just can't believe it has happened and as you say it feels like a nightmare that shouldn't be real but you can't wake up. Only time and care will eventually let this wound heal. Until then you just have to suffer and accept that for the time being that is unavoidable. As others have said, what's important is that you loved her and that she knew that and that you had good times together. We cannot know everything, control everything, or prevent everything. I know there is only pain now, but you must ride out the dark storm and eventually your boat will come to a better place again.

Very sorry for Xena's passing. Remember her, and she will lead you out of the darkness even now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.