Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did The First "Training Walk" Today With My Dog, Similar to Cesar Millan's "The Walk"

Arrow Did The First "Training Walk" Today With My Dog, Similar to Cesar Millan's "The Walk"

Bigfoot is a good boy but he's around a 1 1/2 years now and needs some more work on certain things. He walks okay when I take him out on a regular or retractable leash, but he will pull and walk ahead or lag behind, especially if there are squirrels or rabbits around. So today I started some training with him that I haven't been doing enough of since we got him. I bought some nice liver steaks, baked them in the oven for an hour or so, cut them into tiny pieces and put them in the fridge on a big plate with aluminum foil over it to dry them out a bit. That's his training treats, or course I slip the cat a couple so he doesn't feel neglected....he's becoming a real Garfield.

So I got out the old choker chain collar (smooth one) that I always used in the past to train my Standard Schnauzers to walk with me at a relaxed "heel". Only used it for slight sideways correction to put them off balance or just to make them pay attention with the sound of the metal. Never ever did I pull or choke my furkids with a choker chain, and it always came off as soon as the lesson was over and we were back home.

I was taught how to use one properly way back in the 90s, when I took my first SS to a puppy obedience class, they insisted on using one and showed us how to form it into a "P" for puppy while facing your dog before you put it on, so it worked properly. That pup (Gunter) and I won the end of class obedience award by doing an obstacle course. I then went and showed him a couple of times in obedience trials in my area and he won a couple of ribbons there. I just did it for fun to see what it was all about, but had no desire to keep doing any conformation or obedience shows once I knew what was involved.

Anyhoo, after his usual walk and playtime at the park, I let him rest for awhile at home and slipped on his training collar and took him on his first walk ever through our neighborhood. I kept him on my left side near the curb, not near people's front lawns. I corrected him when he went to far ahead or started to sniff at something, I stopped frequently with him next to me and told him to sit, and I stopped before I crossed every street and told him "wait", then okay when we were ready to cross together. For each thing he did for me, he got a liver treat.

A couple of times he got a little excited seeing a squirrel or something behind people's hedges, but I kept him at my side with a minor correction and kept him in check. All in all I came home in a good mood, because he was very obedient on the walk and followed my lead like a good boy.

The very first time I told him to sit, right after we left the house, he wouldn't do it and I had to firmly insist, when he finally did I gave him a treat. Each sit after that was quicker and easier than last. I will be doing more of this and some other things with him, the older I get, the more well behaved I want him to be....easier for both of us.

That is awesome Alpha1 Bigfoot is really a good boy

Thanks Esme, he is good and smart, but very baby-like and wants to see what he can get away with.

Be careful were you walk take Bigfoot for a walk ! I brought my last dog some salmon treats and I put some in a plastic bag and carried them in my shorts pocket and went to the woods with my dog.
    I end up being the pied piper of dogs ! I had dogs following me and some dogs were trying to put their nose in my shorts pocket . I thought I was going to lose my shorts ! That great Bigfoot is going good in his training.

I hear you Nightowl, my husband joked with me before I left the house that I better bring my pepper spray in case any aggressive dogs, coyotes or foxes went after my liver. Once in the dog park many years ago, I was training one of my puppies to come when called, so I had some good treats in my shirt pocket. A huge Great Dane was VERY interested, as his head was at my chest height, I had to gentle direct his mouth away from me telling him 'no, not for you', I think if I even gave him one, it would be a mistake.

We have coyotes and foxes coming into our condo yard I wouldn't think of having any strong smelling dog treats on me while walking my small dog. You really have to be careful this time of year if there a shortage of games for coyotes and foxes to. I am finding scat in my yard , some animal is warning my dog to back off b/c of rabbits in our yard.

Our coyotes are fat and sassy, they have plenty of prairie dogs and rabbits to chow down on, but they will come after pets if you're not careful. We have a 6 foot fence and in over 30 years I never heard anyone by me having a coyote jump the fence to get their pets. When I walk my dog in the back areas, I would never carry liver treats either, that might be too much for a coyote to ignore.

I had a coyote come right up my dog and me , Marty was on his leash and I looked down to see if he was peeing and there was a coyote sniffing my dog's butt! My poor dog was so frighten he couldn't move or bark, I let a yell out and the coyote took off and my dog started barking at it. The coyote came right up behind us and I didn't hear it and had no how long it been sniffing my poor dog. Now when I take my dog out in our yard I keep looking behind us and all over the yard and have a flashlight. The coyote was so close me I could had touch it !

That's scary Nightowl! Some of them are so bold and people don't help because they throw them food and everything. I was walking my dog on a trail behind my house and we came around the bend and startled a coyote with her pup, she started barking at us and coming toward us very protective mode. My dog was older when this happened and I tightened his leash so he was almost clinging to me.

I clapped my hands and shouted, but that mama kept following after us for the longest time, luckily she didn't charge to attack, but she was PO'd. After a long time she stopped and just watched us as we walked away. They say they're aggressive and mating now, but they also said they were aggressive and mating in the spring which is when we had the incident. They're multiplying like rabbits behind my house. They still are coming by my back fence in the day, and Bigfoot barks at them. I run out and clap and shoo them off when I can.

I called the state wildlife expert and the woman I spoke to told me it sound like someone been feeding the coyote and it losing it fear of people which isn't good for the coyote . If there were more reports of this happening the coyote would have to be shot . Yeah it was too close for comfort ! I love wildlife but I don't want my dog being a meal for a coyote ! I was out walking in my yard some years ago and a beautiful red fox came out some of bushes and was it very close to me. I was so taken by it beauty I stopped to look at it. The fox started to tell me by body language I better go away , I realize I was looking the fox right in his eyes and this is considered a threat , I backed away slowly and dropped my head and just then a second fox came out of the brushes , it was the female, her mate was protecting her . It was amazing that the fox didn't attack me , he just kept on warning me to go away . I guess I b/c I wasn't afraid of the fox it didn't feel threaten by me , I wish I had a camera !

I love wildlife too Nightowl, and love to see a fox now and then, although coyotes are more common to see. But I wouldn't want either of them actually in my yard. I'm always on high alert when we're out camping, no fences there and not sure of the wildlife we'll encounter. A recent trip we had a black bear near our camp and there were coyotes all over in that spot, was always trying to watch out for the dog and myself. Wouldn't take a walk through the woods there after the bear sighting without my husband with me. It's so nice to get pics when you can.

Yeah, but when you think about it, between a bear and a sasquatch, who's gonna win?

There is very little open land left in my city ,there was a 11 acres field behind my condo that was being used by a famer and he would let a food get wasted , so this was a " all you can eat buffet" for free for the wildlife! I was told to help myself and I would find half eaten veggies and there would a lot of hawks flying over the field looking for a meal also foxes and coyotes would hunt there for rodents . The field is gone now
    so the wildlife were force to hunt in my condo yard for rabbits and chipmunks . This is happening all over the place and people wonder why they're seeing foxes and coyotes in their back yards now. I don't walk my small dog in the woods b/c people don't follow the leash law and there are too many deer ticks and people hunting . I once heard someone firing a gun and being hard of hearing I couldn't tell where the hunter was so I don't walk in the woods anymore , I loved to with my last dog , he was my hearing dog . He helped me be more aware of what was going on around me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Yeah, but when you think about it, between a bear and a sasquatch, who's gonna win?
    We always have our own Bigfoot with us if a sasquatch shows, to negotiate a peace deal....maybe a nice rib-eye steak or some fresh tomatoes?

I went camping with my Samoyed husky in mountains when I lived in California , it was just the 2 of use and I hitchhike to get there so I didn't have a tent. We slept on the ground and I tied my dog leash to my belt so I would know when she was moving around . My dog started to growl during the night like I never heard before and when I looked up there was mountain lion only a few feet away from us! My dog stood up and kept on growling and was ready to take the lion on , the mountain lion for some reason was convince my dog could hard him and took off ! I got up and packed up and walked until I found a stop to bed down it was really dark and I had no idea where I was. I woke up to the sound of mooing and cowbells ! I slept next a cow pasture ! I was lucky I didn't sleep on cow manure ! LOL ! I hate to think what would of happen if I didn't have my dog with me b/c I would never hard heard the mountain lion , I turned my hearing aid up all the way after than happen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.