Dogs Prefer "Dog Speak" or "Baby Talk" From Their Owners

Lightbulb Dogs Prefer "Dog Speak" or "Baby Talk" From Their Owners

My dog should be a happy camper, I often talk 'baby talk' to my pets in the house when I'm giving them attention or affection. Of course out in public or when giving a command, it's in a normal adult speech. Full story HERE. Do you talk 'baby talk' to your dogs?

I will talk 'baby talk' to other dogs in public, just today I saw a tiny Yorkie that was a rescue and she was extremely frightened of everything. I got down and tried to talk to her and pet her, but she wouldn't let me. The woman picked her up and let me pet her in her arms, saying she needed to get over her fears, she was abused and is now afraid of absolutely everything. The dog accepted my petting under her chin and on her front leg very calmly, but became stressed as soon as she was put on the ground again.

‘Dog-Speak’ important for social bonding between pet and owner

Posted on 6 March 2018
    Scientists at the University of York have shown that using ‘dog-speak’ to communicate with dogs is important in relationship-building between pet and owner, similar to the way that ‘baby-talk’ is to bonding between a baby and an adult.

Dogs paid more attention to people that used 'dog-speak'

Speech interaction experiments between adult dogs and humans showed that this particular type of speech improves dog attention and may help humans to socially bond with their pets.
    Previous studies on communicating with dogs had suggested that talking in a high-pitch voice with exaggerated emotion, just as adults do with babies, improved engagement with puppies but made little difference with adult dogs.

Researchers at York tested this theory with new experiments designed to understand more about why humans talk to dogs like this and if it is useful to the dogs in some way or whether humans do this simply because they like to treat dogs in the same way as babies.

Parlez-vous bow-wow?

My guess is that one benefit of dog-speak is that it helps the dog know that someone is not talking to them in criticism.

For example, if someone says "%&*#! You just chewed my brand new shoes to bits!", they are not likely to use dog-speak. When dogs hear dog speak, they know that everything is groovy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.