Reasons That You Should Sleep With Your Dog

Thumbs up Reasons That You Should Sleep With Your Dog

My dog sleep with us every night, and all of my past dogs have slept in bed with us if they liked....the cat too. I like my pets living in my home as family, whether it's on the chairs or couch in the living room, loveseat in the den or in bed with us at night....wouldn't have it any other way. Full story here.

• Surveys suggest that 56 percent of dog owners sleep with their dog next to them, with about 50 percent of the dogs sleeping in their owner’s bed
    • The physical presence of your dog next to you provides a source of companionship and comfort
    • Forty-one percent of pet owners perceive their pets as unobtrusive or even beneficial to sleep
    • Service animals, and perhaps even pets, could be beneficial in the support of sleep disorders including obstructive sleep apnea, nightmares and narcolepsy
    • Among people with chronic pain, having a dog in the bed helped many fall asleep and stay asleep

I still follow "let sleeping dogs lie." Any dog can bite if startled or bothered while sleeping. My guys seem to know this. Everyone comes for snuggles at bedtime, but as they get sleepy each goes and finds a free space on the floor for themselves. Sunny alone likes to stay on the bed, but even she carefully moves to a different part of the bed before going to sleep. She probably, like me, remembers the morning that I unintentionally startled her out of sleep while my face was nearby and in a scared daze she bit me squarely on the nose, leading to lots of blood. As soon as her head was clear and she realized what she had done, she was very contrite. Unfortunately for me, that day was a big day when I had to give presentations in front of large groups of strangers, and my nose looked like a Frankenstein slash job. Pretty embarrassing, but also comical.

I'd be scared that I'd squish my chihuahua, ha, ha

If my dog wants to sleep beside me in bed, why not? I love it but I try to be really careful in order to not disrupt his sleep.

I also love to sleep with my Corgi and cats. I had a long period of insomnia, nightmares, and airsickness, which greatly affects my quality of daily life. Until I slept with my mom's dog at one night, I felt at ease and fall asleep quickly when I pet his soft fur. Then my mom suggested me to raise a dog in my apartment. So I picked up a Corgi from my friend and later adopted two rescue cats. They sleep with me every night and get on well with each other. Gradually I found my sleeping quality improves, and my airsickness disappears when I travel with my dog in the aircraft. As I have to fly to England every month for errands, I have to register him as my emotional support dog and travel with him together. At first, I thought it's hard to carry a dog into the craft due to various reasons, such as dislikes of passenger and strict requirements. Then found lots of guides and referred their experience, here are examples:
    How to Travel with Your Dog by Plane
    How to fly with a large emotional support dog

Luckily, every passenger respects him and helps me to take care of him. And most of the hotels in the local are dog-friendly. I am not afraid of sleeping alone out of my home.

Sharing a bed with your pet can make you feel safer at night, both emotionally and physically. Can help you address separation anxiety. When your dog sleeps in your bed, separation anxiety they feel during the day is soothed. If you work long hours, being able to share time at night can help you support your dog and make them feel less distressed.

Actually letting a dog sleep in your bed on a regular basis can increase anxiety, such as when you are away on vacation or if your dog needs an overnight stay at the vet.

Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Actually letting a dog sleep in your bed on a regular basis can increase anxiety, such as when you are away on vacation or if your dog needs an overnight stay at the vet.
    I think not allowing a nightly routine with your dog just for the chance that an overnight stay in a kennel may cause anxiety isn't a fair trade off. The dog is going to be stressed regardless, being away from home and family. I always bring my pets with me on vacation, I don't like leaving them at home. We work around them and do camping, so we're in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaHarris View Post
    Sharing a bed with your pet can make you feel safer at night, both emotionally and physically. Can help you address separation anxiety. When your dog sleeps in your bed, separation anxiety they feel during the day is soothed. If you work long hours, being able to share time at night can help you support your dog and make them feel less distressed.
    Also, giving them the option of lying on your bed if you're away from home for hours is comforting for them.

I crate my dogs at night, but my daughter, who has 6 poodles-1 standard and five toys, and a husband has all 6 dogs in bed. Her daughter and granddaughter live with them. My great granddaughter is 11 months old. No speech yet, but she barks-sigh. Sounds just like the toy dogs and seems to engage in conversation with them, scolding them when they grab her toys.

Six dogs in the bed can be a bit crowded, lol! But with 5 being toys, it's not too bad. We have a king size bed and two dogs or a dog and cat are maximum for me, since they always gravitate to my side of the bed. Cute about your great granddaughter.

My daughter adopted her girls as teenagers. She has never had a baby except puppies. My great granddaughter is being raised as one of the pack. Lol.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.