Daisy's vet appointment

Post Daisy's vet appointment

After meowing her head off and peeing in the carrier, Daisy had her annual wellness exam. She weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces, which is good for her size, and has early gingivitis and fleas.

Because Mom had previously scheduled and canceled appointments fpr urine next to the litterbox, that was the first thing a veterinary technician asked about when she came in. She wanted to know if it was spraying, not urinating. I don't know why a spayed cat would spray in the litterbox. Mom had taken a picture of the litterbox area on her phone and showed it to the vet. He liked it. His recommendation was to change the litter at least every two weeks and wash it with unscented soap, not just water.

While talking about the litterbox problem, the vet used a flea comb on Daisy and found both living and dead fleas.So our next topic was applying Cestirin (which I brought along). He said it is a very good product. Now he wants me to put it on her every month when she does not have fleas and twice a month if she does. He also gave me a flea comb just to check her for them three times a week. Instead of putting Cestirin on Daisy's neck he parted fur between the back of her ears and the back of her head. He spread out the drops in that area, saying he likes to do that instead of put the whole dose in one spot. I have never seen this before.

Surprisingly the VT was training a veterinary student at the same time to give Daisy her rabies shot in the right hip (which the vet usually does himself) and put a purple pheremone collar on her. She explained when she warms up, pheremones will be released from it. The vet told me to keep it on her for a month. He also wants me to put her in a back room and shut the door when my 7-year old niece and nephew are here because their behavior scares her. The hope is she will go back to using the litterbox normally (squatting instead of standing up straight) because she could be doing it in response to the kids upsetting her. The VT said if the collar isn't snug, it won't work, so we have to keep it the way she cut it.

The gingivitis is "not bad" right now, but the vet wants to do her first dental cleaning next year. Otherwise her mouth is fine - and so is everything else that has nothing to do with fleas.

Glad she's alright!
    My chickens are outside...for good!

I would not say she is alright with bleeding gums and fleas, but the litterbox stuff is good news.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I would not say she is alright with bleeding gums and fleas, but the litterbox stuff is good news.
    That's what I meant it about.

I hope Daisy will never need to wear another pheremone collar.

I hope Daisy will never need to wear another pheremone collar.
    Why? I thought you liked them.

I did not even know what they are before Daisy was fitted with one.

I am surprised only one member is interested in my cat's wellness exam.

She weighs 7 pounds 11 ounces, which is good for her size, and has early gingivitis and fleas.

His recommendation was to change the litter at least every two weeks and wash it with unscented soap, not just water.

He also wants me to put her in a back room and shut the door when my 7-year old niece and nephew are here because their behavior scares her.
    Good to hear that she's okay with no serious health problems. Gingivitis seems to be more common in cats than dogs because they don't generally chew on toys, bones or sticks. Surprised you didn't notice the fleas before you took her in, was she scratching at all? Do you regularly brush her?

How often was your mother changing out the litter in her box? Did she actually let it go over two weeks? If so, then the ammonia odor intensifying due to the urine soaked litter does explain either her not wanting to use the box or not squatting in a normal way when using it. I change mine out once a week, most I've ever let it go was ten days, and that was when there was extra fresh litter put in there after a cleaning. Water alone isn't good for cleaning any urine or feces from any area, but a soap that is diluted and not strong smelling is good to use, doesn't have to be completely unscented, IMO.

If we have a service man over my house to do anything that may make my cat afraid, I always put him in the finished basement and close the door. Surprised you didn't think to do something like that with Daisy when your niece and nephew come over. Are they loud and wild, any hopes of just telling them they're stressing the cat and to be more quiet and mellow?

Thanks for your reply.

Mom said she changes the litter every 3-4 weeks to save money. Replacing 3 inches of litter in a big litterbox is not cheap. She scoops litter twice a day, which the vet approves.

Daisy was not scratching more t han usual or otherwise showing signs of discomfort where the fleas were. I never brushed her and they are too small to see without doing that.

It was not that I never thought of it, but rather I wanted to teach the twins how to be gentle with cats and train her to like visitors. Now that they are in first grade, my niece understands Daisy does not like loud noises, etc.

I use the Fresh Step non-clumping litter, I buy 14 lb. bags and use a half bag each week to change the litterbox. But a lot of times if I use more on the first half of the bag, I'll open a second bag and add a little bit more. The bags cost $6+ dollars each, so not too expensive. Glad your niece is realizing what is scaring Daisy, hopefully they'll both be more quiet on their next visit. Do they like Daisy, do they hold and pet her?

Fleas.......

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.