I had to put my cat down for FIP; would like to know how likely my other is to get it

I had to put my cat down for FIP; would like to know how likely my other is to get it

My 2 year old male cat was diagnosed with FIP today, and we had to put him down because he was really sick. My other cat is a female of the same breed but different litter, who is slightly younger than him. She is very healthy and robust, but she does have issues with congestion. It has been a bit of a problem since we got her, but we have been using a nebulizer treatment daily with a saline solution, which has helped her improve a lot since.
    I'd like to know how likely she is to catch the FIP that my other cat had. I read online that it's caused by a corona virus and that it mutates 5-10% of the time, but I'm not sure how accurate that is and I'd like to get some advice. I plan on giving a fecal sample to the vet on Monday since they are closed on the weekend, but I'd just like to have an idea of what to expect. They used the same litter box and ate from the same dish, so I'm pretty sure she already has the corona virus. But like I said, she's very robust and hasn't lost any weight like the other cat did, and has no other issues than the congestion.
    Thanks for reading, and I hope I could get some help with this.
    Last edited by timidCynophilist; 02-02-2019 at 04:09 PM. Reason: grammar

Welcome to the forum timid. I am sorry for your loss. One thing you can expect is help with your situation. What are/were the names of your cats?

FIP is caused by corona virus. You can ask the vet to do a SNAP test, but that is only for showing the presence of corona virus at the time of the test and does not by itself diagnose FIP. I personally would always recommend repeating if if the result is positive but that is just my opinion.

What to expect on Monday: A blood test that includes both the CBC (complete blood count) and blood chemistry panel (almost everything else). Of course, the vet also will talk about other possible causes of her symptoms and tests that are recommended if it is impossible to diagnose FIP on the exam table.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry to hear you had to put your cat down today due to FIP, my sympathy for your loss. What breed of cat do you have, did the breeder give any papers assuring her cats were FIP negative? I heard it mentioned in this video. It doesn't sound good about your female, having congestion problems, etc.

I don't have any experience with FIP personally, so I can't offer any advice as to how likely your other cat will be to get it. If her parents didn't have it, and her immune system is strong, it may not affect her. Stay positive, hoping your girl will stay healthy and live a long and happy life with you. I'll post here if I come across anything that would be of value to you. Good luck.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Welcome!
    My chickens are outside...for good!

Thanks, they are both Ragamuffins. The breeder didn't assure the cats were FIP negative. Thanks for your advice

So sorry for your loss.

And also
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by timidCynophilist View Post
    Thanks, they are both Ragamuffins. The breeder didn't assure the cats were FIP negative. Thanks for your advice.
    Did you get them from the same breeder?

Quote Originally Posted by timidCynophilist View Post
    Thanks, they are both Ragamuffins. The breeder didn't assure the cats were FIP negative. Thanks for your advice
    You're welcome, did you mean the breed is Ragdoll cats? I would be sure to contact the breeder and let her know about your cat, so if there's an issue with her breeder cats she can put a stop to mating them. I'd definitely have a conversation with her.

Alpha, there is a breed called Ragamuffin that is separate from Ragdolls.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, there is a breed called Ragamuffin that is separate from Ragdolls.
    I never heard of that breed, just looked them up, beautiful cats.

Those breeds look almost alike! They are very pretty cats!
    My chickens are outside...for good!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.