Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Giving our "tiger" a course of tablets. Epic fail!

Giving our "tiger" a course of tablets. Epic fail!

Hi everyone. In the continuing saga of Shelley the stray...we were adopted by her about 4 months ago. She was starving and mistreated but she's now living in cat luxury. Our problem is, she's had a bout of diarrhoea for a week or so. Not bad but just enough to make her lose some of the weight she's put on. She's still drinking and eating ok and is quite happy. We took her to the vet yesterday where she had an injection to get her treatment started and we were given tablets for her, one a day for a week. We've tried everything to get her to have it. None of the Youtube methods work. We just end up bleeding and she manages to spit the tablet out. They must be awful because she drools terribly until the taste is gone. I know I'm clutching at straws here but does anyone have a better way of doing it? We've tried Greenies pill pockets. It worked on our other 2 cats but little missy just sticks her nose in the air and refuses them. 😧

I'm so sorry to here this Hedgewitch. Unfortunately, I don't have much advise to give, but I'm sure Alpha or Linda will be along shortly!
    My chickens are outside...for good!

Did you try crushing it up and putting it in wet food? How about giving it to her in a piece of hotdog or other meat she likes?
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Furballs&dogbones View Post
    Did you try crushing it up and putting it in wet food? How about giving it to her in a piece of hotdog or other meat she likes?
    Furballs gave some great info! Just, "will she eat it?" is left to ask.
    My chickens are outside...for good!

ask the vet for some propectalin, it comes in a tube and you just squirt it in her mouth. It also comes in a chewable tablet like a treat so she may eat that
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

This is what we did, and it worked like a charm.

We used just enough wet food for it to be like a small treat.

My cats ate dry food, so wet food was a treat to them.

When my cat had diarrhea, the vet gave me Metronidazole susp., it was a liquid/cream that was administered by measuring with a syringe and then gently and slowly putting it in the cats mouth, giving him time to swallow as you empty the syringe, being careful not to force any into the throat so it doesn't get into the lungs accidentally.

I always wrapped the cat in a towel and exposed only his head, sat him on my lap on a kitchen chair. My husband sat on a chair facing us and put the syringe into the side of the cats mouth until it was empty. I always had some canned food on a plate for him to eat right afterwards, because it tasted bad.

There's an over the counter product that works very well and is administered the same way, you need some type of small syringe. It is Nutri-Vet anti-diarrhea for cats. I use it for both my cat and dog in different doses when needed, results in one or two days.

My cat is not food driven, luckily I've never had to give him pills, to me that would be a failure too. Even ground up in food, they can smell the pill and unless they are food driven, they won't touch it. Good luck.

Here is a natural solution: Feed Shelley a little bit of plain pumpkin every day. If she eats it, you may not even need to give her pills.

Tried that too. Evidently it's so horrible tasting it can be detected through the tastiest of cat food. 😔

Thanks Catmom. I've read that. If I mix it with a little cat food she might. I'm out buying grain free cat food this morning. That's supposed to work too, if she's that way inclined. The Internet is a wonderful thing. So much help. 😊

Solid Gold is grain-free and has recipes with pumpkin listed on the front label. Now available at Petsmart, finally.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    When my cat had diarrhea, the vet gave me Metronidazole susp., it was a liquid/cream that was administered by measuring with a syringe and then gently and slowly putting it in the cats mouth, giving him time to swallow as you empty the syringe, being careful not to force any into the throat so it doesn't get into the lungs accidentally.

I always wrapped the cat in a towel and exposed only his head, sat him on my lap on a kitchen chair. My husband sat on a chair facing us and put the syringe into the side of the cats mouth until it was empty. I always had some canned food on a plate for him to eat right afterwards, because it tasted bad Good luck.
    Thanks Alpha1. I've explored this option but our vet keeps only the basic medication here. I'll check and see what catagory it comes under in Australian drug administration. If its not an antibiotic I might be able to get it online. I've just come home from shopping and have a variety of grain free food and pumpkin to try her on. Unfortunately, when I got home, she'd thrown up. I'm hoping that she just ate too much. Before she came to us she was living on birds and mice. I'm wondering if we did it right...introducing her to proper cat food. We didn't take her to the vet initially because we didn't know if she'd stay or not. Adopting her was a last minute decision. We've wormed her but our vet didn't want to vaccinate her until she's over this problem I'll have another go at the pill pockets today, maybe with her favourite steak. It's like the worry of kids all over again. 😜

"The right cat food" is such a complicated topic for indoor cats because they can't eat mice. It is individual for each cat in some ways, but one thing that makes our pets felines is they are obligate carnivores born ot hunt.

Even if iti s not an antibiotic you may need a prescription. However, it is possible to get a prescription-only medication online by entering your veternarian's name and work contact information on a pet pharmacy website.

I've given up doing it myself. I'm going to go to the vets daily for him to give her the tablets. Even if I have to pay a consultation fee each time, it's worth it to get her right again. I have my husband crying because she's sick. We lost his two cats to old age less than a year ago. He won't get over that in a hurry. 😔 Thanks everyone for your help.

You don't have to pay a consultation fee if your veterinary practice is like one I took my previous cats to. They had a veterinary technician give a sick cat medication in the waiting room at no cost. Not all practices will do that, but it may be worth asking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.