Trying to figure out why my dog sniffs then growl at other dogs

Trying to figure out why my dog sniffs then growl at other dogs

My dog has been pretty anti social before but sheís been getting more exposure to humans and dogs Bc I live in dog oriented community(which is nice). When she sees other small dogs, I can see her wagging her tail and being interested. Then once she meets other dogs, they both sniff each other. One time she even lets a dog lick her but I noticed that she tends to sniff then growl at them and show teeth.is she showing signs of aggression? What does that mean? Any feedback is welcomed. Thanks!

First of all, welcome to the forum! It looks like you are pretty new. What breed do you have? How old?

In some cases, dogs might growl because they are trying to communicate. She might be trying to tell you she is afraid of another dog or she may be staking her claim on "her territory". Most owners quickly become upset and punish there dog or scold him/her.

Hope this helps!
    My chickens are outside...for good!

I'd say it was a sign of aggression, perhaps from not being well socialized with other dogs. Are they both on leashes when she does this?

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    What breed?
    As the caregiver of five mixed breed dogs, I hate it when every Tom, Dick, and Harry immediately asks me this question. I want to answer, "They are all the F*** You Breed."

Though the question is sometimes appropriate or necessary, it is intrinsically a Breedist question.

Also if the asker really knew much of anything about breeds, it should be pretty obvious when my dogs are in front of them what their main mix components are. Only one is a bit mysterious.

When people throw this question immediately, our conversation usually ends abruptly.

Hello! And thank you

Sheís a 13 year young chihuahua. She is indeed a little antisocial. She was a rescued and wasnít very socialized so Iím hoping at 13 years young, I can try socialize her a bit but if I canít then Iíll just make sure other dogs donít get too close to her.

In my community , some dogs are on leash and some dogs arenít. I donít take her to the dog park at all Bc of these concerns. I just walk her in my neighborhood. Sheís always on a leash. But it makes me nervous when other dogs on a leash excitedly goes up to her and she reacts negatively. I wouldnít want her to nip another dog.

Where we used to live before was different so this is a new environment for her.

I'd say its more of a defensive thing than aggression, she is a small dog and can be hurt easily even through the other dog doesn't mean to hurt her, plus she is old and set in her ways and doesn't want to be bothered. Unless the other dog is really dog aggressive it should heed the warning and back off. My shepherd is great with other animals but there is one woman that walks a small older min pin, Only once my dog ran up to her to try to get her to play, the min pin bit her on the nose, she just backed away and never tried to play with her again, she wasn't aggressive with the tiny dog, she just backed away and never approached her again.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by vanillamama View Post
    Hello! And thank you

She’s a 13 year young chihuahua. She is indeed a little antisocial. She was a rescued and wasn’t very socialized so I’m hoping at 13 years young, I can try socialize her a bit but if I can’t then I’ll just make sure other dogs don’t get too close to her.

In my community , some dogs are on leash and some dogs aren’t. I don’t take her to the dog park at all Bc of these concerns. I just walk her in my neighborhood. She’s always on a leash. But it makes me nervous when other dogs on a leash excitedly goes up to her and she reacts negatively. I wouldn’t want her to nip another dog.

Where we used to live before was different so this is a new environment for her.

Chihuahuas are known for being mean and biting.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I'd say its more of a defensive thing than aggression, she is a small dog and can be hurt easily even through the other dog doesn't mean to hurt her, plus she is old and set in her ways and doesn't want to be bothered.
    That's what I was thinking! In other words: x2

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    As the caregiver of five mixed breed dogs, I hate it when every Tom, Dick, and Harry immediately asks me this question. I want to answer, "They are all the F*** You Breed."

Though the question is sometimes appropriate or necessary, it is intrinsically a Breedist question.

Also if the asker really knew much of anything about breeds, it should be pretty obvious when my dogs are in front of them what their main mix components are. Only one is a bit mysterious.

When people throw this question immediately, our conversation usually ends abruptly.
    Why can't I ask which breed? That helps to know if the dog is big or small, and if it is small it just might be trying to defend it's self. Yes, they said in the first post that the dog was small, but some people consider a a lab a small dog.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillamama View Post
    Hello! And thank you

Sheís a 13 year young chihuahua. She is indeed a little antisocial. She was a rescued and wasnít very socialized so Iím hoping at 13 years young, I can try socialize her a bit but if I canít then Iíll just make sure other dogs donít get too close to her.

In my community , some dogs are on leash and some dogs arenít. I donít take her to the dog park at all Bc of these concerns. I just walk her in my neighborhood. Sheís always on a leash. But it makes me nervous when other dogs on a leash excitedly goes up to her and she reacts negatively. I wouldnít want her to nip another dog.

Unless I'm at the dog park where most dogs are well socialized and friendly, I never let another dog on a leash come over to sniff mine unless I ask the owner if they're friendly. Small or large dog, they can do damage with one bite/attack to the face that would require a visit to the vet and pain for the dog.

Just a couple of days ago I was walking my dog on a leash on a trail in a local park and a woman was approaching me with a long-haired Chihuahua. My dog wanted to say hello, but I asked the woman first if the dog was friendly. She said she was a rescue and fearful of some people and other dogs, especially larger ones.

We agreed to let them say hello, and I squatted down to assure her dog that it was okay, and petted her under the chin a little bit, her dog was named Abby. The meeting was nice and the woman was grateful that my dog was so gentle and friendly, she thought it was good therapy for Abby to be with us and have no negative result.

I see Chihuahuas loose at the dog park who are very friendly and socialized, very mellow....but I had one who lived next door to me years ago who was very aggressive and would go to bite, in fact he bit his owner numerous times in their house.

I'd let her socialize a bit with other dogs who are calm and nice, but at her age she may not trust very soon, depends on her experience. Just be down there by their faces in case she does actually go to bite, then you can control her and not let it happen. But be calm yourself, they sense when we are nervous or stressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetidog37 View Post
    Why can't I ask which breed? That helps to know if the dog is big or small, and if it is small it just might be trying to defend it's self. Yes, they said in the first post that the dog was small, but some people consider a a lab a small dog.
    Of course you can ask what breed the dog is Yeti, Vanillamama isn't standing in front of you with her on the leash so you can get an idea of what kind of dog she is. Small dogs like Chis are many times more aggressive in behavior, it's just a defense mechanism, they use it to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Of course you can ask what breed the dog is Yeti, Vanillamama isn't standing in front of you with her on the leash so you can get an idea of what kind of dog she is. Small dogs like Chis are many times more aggressive in behavior, it's just a defense mechanism, they use it to survive.
    Yes, thank you Alpha. I meant it like you said, small dogs bite more to survive. But I still want to know why DF said I could not do that.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.