Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mac has stopped eating....please help

I do wonder, why did Vet 2 only did Xrays on Friday when they could have done ultrasound as well to see if there is any inflammation or internal organ changes.

try to get a probiotic in him, that will replace any good bacteria he's lost
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia12 View Post
    He thinks Macs problem has to do with some GI related issue and antibiotics might make it worse.
    And, um, where does hubby think that most infections start? In the GI system.

antibiotics will wipe out good bacterias
    Look, how about some perspective? Better to temporarily lose some good bacteria than to LOSE MACADEMIA.

No one is a bigger proselytizer for good bacteria than me, but bacteria are easily replaced if temporarily lost.

You don't deny your cat a simple, inexpensive, safe, straightforward course of the greatest life-saving class of drugs ever invented in history because he'll lose a few easily replaceable bacteria. Tell that to all the people and pets whose lives have been saved by antibiotics since their discovery.

Listen, remember that the objective is not to find a picture-perfect solution without any drawbacks that is absolutely sure to work and is completely without risk so that you can put the solution in a beautiful gold frame and hang it on the wall. The objective is to save your dying cat's life. And that's not the way you do it. You start with the most likely causes and administer the most likely cures before you put your cat through 100 test procedures (that the vet is happy to sell you).

Life is messy. Solutions are messy. Saving your pet is messy.

Give your dying cat some antibiotics for heaven's sake before it is too late. It is the most likely solution for the most likely problem.

Or spend eternity stupidly rationalizing why you didn't before he died.

"We were about to fly Mac sedated in a special chartered helicopter to Honolulu to try out a new Zuzu ray machine, when our baby did not wake up."

"What kind of antibiotics had he received?"

"Oh, none. We never gave him any antibiotics."

"You what?"

I agree with DogForce, if the vet suggests antibiotics by all means try them as soon as possible according to the directions on the medication. I am completely against the excessive use of antibiotics in people or pets, but there are times that they are absolutely necessary and important, especially in a case like yours where the cat's life is being threatened. Please reconsider quickly to help him.

I have thought about giving him antibiotics but my husband doesn't agree with me. He thinks Macs problem has to do with some GI related issue and antibiotics might make it worse. Also, Mac always had popping issues and antibiotics will wipe out all the good bacterias from his system.
    You can give the cat probiotics after the antibiotic treatment, if I'm not mistaken you can also give them during the antibiotic use. I wouldn't start giving the cat any over the counter things like Pepcid, sometimes less is more, gentler to his system, right now the cat needs very simple specific treatment and care, not a hodgepodge of different 'cures'. Good luck, let your husband know that it may save the cat's life to use antibiotics, the pros outweigh the cons.

I do wonder, why did Vet 2 only do X-rays on Friday when they could have done ultrasound as well to see if there is any inflammation or internal organ changes?
    You have to ask him, but that is a common practice. If Vet 2 does not work at a big hospital with an ultrasound machine, it makes sense to do what he can. What does not make sense is being unable to diagnose your kitty after doing all these tests and exams.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.