Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Mac has stopped eating....please help

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8

    Mac has stopped eating....please help

    Our Cat (Mac) had been vomiting off and on for a couple of weeks. Two weeks ago he stopped eating. We took him to the vet, did a full blood test(he had to be put under anesthesia as he was very upset). Vet said everything looked normal except one liver enzyme being a little high. They gave us Sciencediet digestive care i/d food which Mac ate for a couple of days and then he stopped eating again. We called our Vet again and he prescribed Entyce to stimulate his appetite. Entyce only worked one time and then stopped working. We took him back to the vet yesterday, they did the following: exam recheck, Xray of abdomen, dexdomitor, butorphal, subcutaneous fluid administration, cerenia and famotidine. He was put under anesthesia again and brought back using antisedan. Vet said everything looked normal again and gave Mirataz Transdermal ointment to put inside his ear once a day. Mirataz worked great yesterday evening and he ate quite a bit but failed to work today. He hasnít eaten more than a few sips of tuna water. We called the Vet to give an update and were told tube feeding would be our next option.


    We are really worried about losing our cat if he continues to not eat and keep losing weight. Even on days when he did eat in the last two weeks, the quantity was a lot less than usual. One thing we noticed when he eats is, he seems to be straining to chew and push food down the throat. We have been diluting his food to make it easier for him. He is been mainly withdrawn from the house and is staying outside on the lanai. He seems to be seeking cold air and wanting to be alone.


    Here's Mac from 4 days ago, looking sick

    imgonline-com-ua-resize-XzPNbbty6So9gMX (1).jpg


    Here Mac being happy and playful before getting sickmac-happy.jpg


    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,532
    has his teeth been checked? A bad could make it hard for him to chew and swallow. My only other suggestion would be to take him to a vet teaching school or hospital. They would find the problem. Is he an old cat? Sometimes the older cats have problems that are hard to detect but a vet school wouldn't stop looking until they find what is the matter with him. Have you tried offering him baby food?
    Last edited by linda2147; 04-14-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,947
    How old is Mac? Is he eating wet or dry food? Does he have normal urine and poop?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,334
    Welcome, I see you're from Hawaii and Mac is a cool name for your cat. I'm sorry to hear he's doing so poorly, with all the testing you've done I'm surprised they can't give you a reason for his not eating. All that anesthesia can't be helping him either, I'm sure the aftereffects contribute to his feeling sick. Linda has a good suggestion that it may have to do with his teeth, but I'd think the vet would have already considered all that.

    Have you tried to give him fresh cooked fish, shrimp, crab, liver? There's also freeze dried cat treats made by brands like Orijen that are very appealing to cats and dogs, they can be crumbled to a powder between your fingers and sprinkled on his food. I don't really like Science Diet food, poor quality in my opinion, but vets sell it at their offices and constantly push it, I'd get another easy to digest brand if there's something available in your area. Is he drinking water? You have to be sure he's not getting dehydrated.

    Mac is a beautiful cat, I really hope he starts to eat again and you can find out what was wrong. It's expensive, but maybe you can get his files and test results and get a second opinion from another vet. But I wouldn't put the poor cat through too many other tests, etc. Could he have gotten into any type of poison from the neighbors? Sorry I don't have any real solutions to your problem.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Linda2147, Catmom1994 and Aplha1 for responding.



    Our Vet supposedly checked his teeth and throat but couldn't find anything. We live on Big island and from what i found we only have a pre-veterinary school on Hilo side which is about 1.5 hrs away from our place. We feel a bit helpless in our options being on an island.

    Mac is 12 years old and has been overweight most of his life. We got him last November after my husbands mom couldn't live alone anymore due to her Alzheimer. He lost 7 pounds in the last 5.5 months. He was 30lbs in Nov and was 25lbs 2 weeks ago. Now he is at 23lbs. He was on a combination of a dry high protein diet(youngagain brand) and (Tikki cat) wet food. We completely stopped youngagain dry food since last two weeks and have been mostly trying baby food, science diet digestive care wet food, tikki wet food, ham, sardines, salmon and some other stuff with very little luck.

    Last time he had food was Friday evening and now I am very worried. He has been unable to poop and urinate.

    As for drinking water, it seems like he wants to drink it but walks away after sniffing. Same with food.

    We will try fresh cooked seafood and chicken today as Aplha1 suggested and hopefully he will eat some in addition to getting Orijen treats. My husband really dislikes Sciencediet too but since we were desperate this time and don't have many Vet options we decided to give it a try.


    We had first gotten his blood test done in Dec 2018 from Vet1 and they said everything looked good. When he started vomiting and stopped eating(which started 2 weeks ago), we took him to Vet1, but they seemed to not care much, so we made took him to Vet 2 who did all the tests. Now we only have 1 more option Vet3 unless we drive atleast an hour one way for other Vets. Also Mac doesn't like travelling and generally requires Sedation for tests and we are afraid to start all over again and him going under sedation for just test.


    We moved to Big Island from Denver to take care of my husbands aging mom. She had adopted Mac from a dying couple when he was 4. We are so attached to him and my husband can't even sleep at night worrying he might not see him next day. If he doesn't eat today, he will have to go on a feeding tube tomorrow. This has been very hard on us and we feel like losing our son. Here's a pic of Mac being cuddly with my husband and purring. He still does this despite not being well.

    Sincerely thankful for helping me.

    20190414_130130.jpg

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Alhpa1,

    Mac loves going out in our garden and chewing grass and is one of his favorite thing to do. But we stopped this approximately 20 days ago after we felt that the grass could be making him throw up. He was quite angry initially and but adapted few days late.

    Attach0.jpg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    7,532
    If it were my cat, I'd drive the distance to take him where I know they can help him. The feeding tube doesn't solve the problem, yes it gets food into him but but you need to get to the root of the problem. If anyone can help this cat its the vet school. They see all kinds of unusual problems and have all the latest equipment to work with and they are no more and sometimes less expensive than your regular vet. They may be his only hope. He can't live for long on a feeding tube. At least call them and see what they say
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Macadamia12 View Post
    Mac loves going out in our garden and chewing grass and is one of his favorite thing to do. But we stopped this approximately 20 days ago after we felt that the grass could be making him throw up. He was quite angry initially and but adapted few days late.
    Let Mac go back into the garden right away. As often as he wants, every day. After 12 years, he knows whether or not grass is good for him. He is used to doing that, and a routine that is important to him has been interrupted. He tried to tell you. At this point, chewing and swallowing anything is good, even if he throws it up again for now. Many, many cats eat grass and throw it up. Dogs do the same. Maybe there is something in his stomach that he needs to throw up regularly with the grass, or some necessary physiological process that eating and vomiting the grass triggers, and now he cannot do it. At the very least, eating grass in the garden could make him enjoy his old routine and get some psychological series of events rolling.

    Listen to your cat, and let him spend all day in the garden eating grass if he wants.

    In the end, cats and other animals know a hell of a lot that vets do not.

    To the garden!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Linda

    I will call University of Hawaii, Hilo and see if they can help us.

    https://hilo.hawaii.edu/academics/ca...sci_prevet.php

    Fingers crossed. Hope they can help us and we can avoid the feeding tube.

    I remember one of my friends taking his cat to University of California, Davis when I lived in SF. I wish I was in California or Colorado now. We would have a lot more options

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    13,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Let Mac go back into the garden right away. As often as he wants, every day. After 12 years, he knows whether or not grass is good for him. He is used to doing that, and a routine that is important to him has been interrupted. He tried to tell you. At this point, chewing and swallowing anything is good, even if he throws it up again for now. Many, many cats eat grass and throw it up. Dogs do the same. Maybe there is something in his stomach that he needs to throw up regularly with the grass, or some necessary physiological process that eating and vomiting the grass triggers, and now he cannot do it. At the very least, eating grass in the garden could make him enjoy his old routine and get some psychological series of events rolling.

    Listen to your cat, and let him spend all day in the garden eating grass if he wants.

    In the end, cats and other animals know a hell of a lot that vets do not.

    To the garden!
    Well said, important point and I agree completely.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    2,947
    Mac probably does not eat and drink after going to the bowls because of nausea. Many cats do that when they get sick. Ask Vet 2 about giving him Pepcid AC Original (you will need a piill cutter for this) to make him feel better.

    When shopping for baby food, make sure it has no onions before buying anything. I read a lot of baby foods have onion powder. Stop giving him seafood. At this point you have to feed him what he will eat as long as it is wet and safe for cats.

    I disagree with Dog Force on letting Mac eat as much grass as he wants. If Mac eats a lot of grass he will never be hungry for real cat food. You can buy cat grass to grow in a pot to let him eat small amounts after he starts eating two meals a day again.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    1,848
    Macademia12, the most common reason a pet stops eating is pain or fever, and the most common cause of those is a random internal infection. Did Mac receive a course of general wide-spectrum antibiotics to rule out this very common (but nevertheless dangerous) cause of appetite loss and overall malaise? Even if he didn't show a fever at the vet, fevers can come and go, and who knows what effect the sedating medicine had on his temperature and other test results. The most frequent course of action when my local vets are not able to pinpoint an exact problem is to issue a general wide-spectrum antibiotic. Very often this solves the issue and returns the pet to normal. It does not make sense to move heaven and earth and spend gobs of money before first using a simple course of general wide-spectrum antibiotic to eliminate the most likely cause of trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I disagree with Dog Force
    Yes, but we all know that for your own -er- peculiar psychological needs you always make a point of disagreeing with me, and that you would staunchly, indignantly disagree if I said the sky is blue.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Dog Force One for your input.

    You made a good point but we feel like Mac is not as sensible and intuitive as our other 2 (female)cats in determining whats safe for him outside. Mac being a extremely food driven cat doesn't have the discretion and goes for anything and everything unlike our other 2 cats who don't throw up like him.

    But we will still give it a try once his conditions improves a bit. Right now, he doesn't even go near the door or have any desire to go outside.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Mac probably does not eat and drink after going to the bowls because of nausea. Many cats do that when they get sick. Ask Vet 2 about giving him Pepcid AC Original (you will need a piill cutter for this) to make him feel better.

    When shopping for baby food, make sure it has no onions before buying anything. I read a lot of baby foods have onion powder. Stop giving him seafood. At this point you have to feed him what he will eat as long as it is wet and safe for cats.

    I disagree with Dog Force on letting Mac eat as much grass as he wants. If Mac eats a lot of grass he will never be hungry for real cat food. You can buy cat grass to grow in a pot to let him eat small amounts after he starts eating two meals a day again.
    Catmom1994,

    We will get pepsid AXC first thing tomorrow morning. They did give Mac Cerenia on Friday.

    We are avoiding babyfood with onion, garlic. We were thinking of cooking some chicken to see if the smell makes him want to eat.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Kona, HI
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Macademia12, the most common reason a pet stops eating is pain or fever, and the most common cause of those is a random internal infection. Did Mac receive a course of general wide-spectrum antibiotics to rule out this very common (but nevertheless dangerous) cause of appetite loss and overall malaise? Even if he didn't show a fever at the vet, fevers can come and go, and who knows what effect the sedating medicine had on his temperature and other test results. The most frequent course of action when my local vets are not able to pinpoint an exact problem is to issue a general wide-spectrum antibiotic. Very often this solves the issue and returns the pet to normal. It does not make sense to move heaven and earth and spend gobs of money before first using a simple course of general wide-spectrum antibiotic to eliminate the most likely cause of trouble.

    Thanks Dog Force One,

    I have thought about giving him antibiotics but my husband doesn't agree with me. He thinks Macs problem has to do with some GI related issue and antibiotics might make it worse. Also, Mac always had popping issues and antibiotics will wipe out all the good bacterias from his system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Dog has stopped eating all together
    By One in forum Dog Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-27-2017, 07:52 PM
  2. Mother cat stopped nursing
    By Gbunny in forum Cat Training and Behavior
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-19-2017, 06:00 AM
  3. Mother cat stopped nursing
    By Gbunny in forum Cat Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-16-2017, 01:00 PM
  4. Puppy just stopped eating
    By bluewaters in forum Dog Health and Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Senior Forums - Health Forum