The 10 Worst Guard Dog Breeds

The 10 Worst Guard Dog Breeds

We can all agree that most dogs, when pressed, would try and protect their owner. Certain breeds, however, are generally lovers, not the fighters. Even so, if you are looking for a person-friendly dog, do your homework and check out the parents’ temperaments and be sure to socialize your pup from the very beginning.

#1 – Labrador Retriever
    It is hard to find a Labrador retriever that does not like every person she meets. Happy-go-lucky, she would gladly show you where her owner keeps his best stuff, especially if you had a treat for her in exchange.

#2 – Golden Retriever
    Following the lab closely, the golden is just a friendly dog. While he loves his owner, he’s the type that would go home with anybody.

#3 – Irish Setter
    This breed has made a name for itself as an awesome family dog. They have a high-energy friendliness that they will gladly share with anyone.

#4 – Petit Basset Griffon Vendéen
    Affectionately known as the PBGV, this cute scruffy hound ranks high on the “stranger friendly” list. As long as the intruder is not small furry animal to hunt, he will greet them with a smile and happy tail wag.

LILLY M VIA WIKIMEDIA COMMONS
    #5 – Bedlington Terrier
    Not only does he look like lamb, but this breed is as sweet as one too. New people are a source of excitement, not danger, for this happy terrier.

#6 – Basset Hound

This low energy hound would probably be a good guard dog, if it wasn’t so much work. Often thought of as lazy, he may not get out of bed when someone enters your house.

#7 – Bichon Frise
    Bred to be a companion dog, this little white ball of fluff is arguably the most affectionate. They want to be the center of attention, whether you are their owner or a complete stranger, makes no difference to them.

#8 – Bearded Collie
    Even though they were bred to be a herding and watchdog, they are lousy guard dogs. Barking at noises is one thing, but if a person approaches, they quickly become all wiggles, entertaining you with their signature “beardie bounce.”

#9 – Flat-Coated Retriever
    A happy hunting dog, their exuberance for people extends to anything walking on two legs. Your biggest problem? Getting them to not jump when greeting anyone they come upon.

#10 – Havanese
    Considered one of the least “yappy” of the small dogs, he craves companionship. He will gladly crawl into anyone’s lap.

https://iheartdogs.com/the-10-worst-...6qqJ5gVcn3LOIs
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Lab and golden: NOT TRUE!

The lab I care for: I was playing football with some friends and he was tied to a tree. One of my friends took me down in the game, he instantly jumped up and growled.

Golden: (I took care of one for 3 days at my house about a year ago.) Took him outside to go potty one night and he was waking around on leash. He looked toward the road and growled.

So, I think labs are a good guarding breed! The golden? I say a bit less....they are pretty friendly.
    My chickens are outside...for good!

any dog cat be taught to be a guard dog, its in all of them, just some you have to dig deeper to find it
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Maybe people should guard their own damn homes instead of intentionally encouraging and supporting aggression in dogs.

Look around you, the world is full of murders, rapists, muggers, perverts, then you wonder why people have a dog that will protect them and their homes.

If that's their thinking, they can teach their own children to carry guns and patrol the perimeter.

Leave the animals out of human stupidity.

What you call stupidity I call common sense. Guard dogs were bred to protect they are only doing what comes naturally. Your gun can be taken away from you and turned on you, you dog can't. Even if you have a dog that won't bite it will still bark and alert you to danger or even a stranger coming around. If you want a dog that is a wimp and will run if he's needed that's up to you, I'll stick with my shepherds

For me, I think that having a dog that will alert me to someone roaming around my house or yard is good enough. Unless I want to have a trained attack Schutzhund dog, which I wouldn't want, then the average dog should not be expected to stop a serious attacker.

An attacker with a gun or knife can kill a 'guard' dog easily, I wouldn't want to put my dog's life in jeopardy regardless of the breed. I have a gun if needed at the ready, for over 40 years I've never needed to use it thankfully. But I will kill the attacker long before he has a chance to take my gun away from me, and I will also use it on the attacker if he's trying to kill my dog.

When it comes to my pet dogs, I'll take a lover over a fighter, that way I don't have to worry about the dog harming or killing another person, child or other pet. The lover will bark and growl enough to alert me, and then it's my job to take over in the situation.

even the gentlest dog can bite, there have been cases where the family dog attacked an intruder. So you never know, no one can say with certainty that "my dog won't bite:. I have a gun and I know how to use it but Phoenix is a great deterent

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    any dog cat be taught to be a guard dog, its in all of them, just some you have to dig deeper to find it
    Well,

even the gentlest dog can bite, there have been cases where the family dog attacked an intruder. So you never know, no one can say with certainty that "my dog won't bite:. I have a gun and I know how to use it but Phoenix is a great deterent
    That's true Linda, any dog can bite and any breed can be aggressive. I know Phoenix is a great deterrent, as I said in the past, I'd hesitate to go into your home and be nervous about it, so you do have to watch her closely and kennel her for visitors. Having a dog who can and will do real damage to another person has to be controlled on a daily basis to avoid any attacks on innocent people who aren't there to rob or kill someone in the household.

Not everyone lives a lifestyle where they can do that. We like to go camping, so having a dog loose with us when strangers may come around just on a hike or fishing along a river, wouldn't be possible or enjoyable. I'd have to leash the dog and constantly worry about it even if I let him out for his morning or nighttime peewee. If I had kids in the house bringing their friends over, I wouldn't want to constantly fear that the dog would get loose and attack one of them, perhaps scarring them for life, or worse.

I personally would take a lover over a fighter. Even the meanest dog can't stand up to a bullet, a well used switchblade, or other weapon like a hammer or axe.

I agree that having a dog like Phoenix is a liability, I have a large outside kennel where I put her when I have company. I've always had shepherds, most of them trained personal protection dogs. My husband always worked nights, I have very few neighbors and lots of woods and I was always home alone with little kids. So having a dog like that I knew I was safer than someone with no dog. Granted the dog could be killed but the barking alone would alert someone to a problem and a burglar of home invader wouldn't want the noise to attract attention. I have one neighbor on each side of me and one house across the road, no one else on the street. But these three knew my husband worked nights so I'm sure if there was a loud disturbance someone would call the police. My house is posted on all sides "guard dog on duty" so anyone with half a brain wouldn't try coming in.

My house is posted on all sides "guard dog on duty" so anyone with half a brain wouldn't try coming in.
    Does that mean your dog is mean? No. It means your dog loves you! She is trying to protect you!

While it's true every dog can bite, I would not want to purposefully train a family dog to be aggressive. There are other ways of protecting yourself and your home other than with guns and dogs.

I used to have a wimpy chihuahua, not that she was afraid, she was just super friendly with everyone, that was the best dog I ever had. I hope to have one like her again some day.

its true any dog can be taught to be protective, but if want a dog that you know isn't prone to aggression you check the bloodline and see what dogs are more apt. to be protective and or aggressive. Phoenix's mom is a german import and the sire is a chez boarder patrol dog. The Chez's make a tough dog so I knew what I was getting when I got her

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.