Kitten throwing up

Kitten throwing up

Hey all,

One of the kittens I'm fostering, Friskers, has been throwing up white stuff for the past couple days. I just figured out who it was today.

Anyone know what could be wrong? He's about 5.5 weeks.

Thank you!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

The white stuff is either teat milk or foam made in the cat's body, nothing serious. Something is wrong if Friskers keeps doing it for several days though.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    The white stuff is either teat milk or foam made in the cat's body, nothing serious. Something is wrong if Friskers keeps doing it for several days though.
    But CatMom, Furballs wants to know why he is throwing up.
    My chickens are outside...for good!

Only a vet can answer that question.

Furballs, that might be because he's eating too fast or isn't eating on a regular enough schedule so the gastric juices from his digestive system are irritating him and he's spitting up like that. What is he eating every day, how often, and does he seem to eat too fast compared to the other kittens? Are his bowel movements normal compared to the other kittens? Is he drinking anything every day?

I never had a kitten that young, but I know cats and dogs may vomit a whitish or yellowish foamy bile for various reasons from time to time, and it's usually nothing to worry about. If it is excessive, or you think Friskers may have something more serious going on, then you should take him to the vet to be sure. How is he today?

They all used to eat wet food but I switched it out with the shelter because mommy wouldn't eat it. The kittens won't eat the new one so he has been just drinking milk and a little water while I try to introduce the new food to them. Alice feeds them randomly throughout the day. They go in their litter box when I'm not there mostly. He and the runt drink the most milk. So far he only threw up once today that I know of.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!

As far as I know, cats are lactose intolerant and cow's milk upsets their digestive system and may cause nausea or loose stools. Does the runt have this problem too, if so. then maybe it's the milk. I may be wrong, but I think they're old enough to eat moist foods. What brand do you feed, does the shelter provide the food for them?

I just watched him(runt) throw up about 3 hours ago. Yes, they are old enough to eat wet food but they won't. The shelter does provide food. The brand I have now is Dave's Cat Food.

https://www.amazon.com/Daves-Natural...gateway&sr=8-3

Just a suggestion of what I would do, I'm not an expert or have any medical training, just a long time pet owner. I'd stop giving the milk and only offer fresh filtered water.

I would mix some tepid/warm water into the canned food, not too much so it's soupy, just a little to warm it and make it softer to eat for them.

Offer it to Friskers and the runt and see if they'll eat it. Give them plenty of time, don't rush them to eat. From my experience, they WILL start to eat when they're hungry. Once they get used to the food, they'll eat it more readily.

That looks like a good food, so that part is good. Good luck, hoping you can observe them enough to make sure they're starting to eat without having to ingest any mild anymore.

Just to clarify I'm not giving them milk; Alice is. At night I won't be able to watch them so she will feed them. I kept 1 can of the other cat food and gave some to them. They ate it. I will have to give them more to make sure they'll keep eating it. From what I've seen the kittens like chunks of food. I might be going back to the shelter.

Good Furballs, I misunderstood, thought you were giving them milk from a container. Alice's milk is best! I think you're doing a good job with them.

Thank you Alpha!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.