Problems administering powdered tablets - desperate for advice

Problems administering powdered tablets - desperate for advice

Hello, I am encountering huge problems giving capsule contents to my cat, Pixie. I am giving her Canna-Pet as she has been diagnosed with a tumour. She has been taking the dry contents of the capsules mixed with lick-e-lix (a creamy treat) without any problems until yesterday and now she absolutely refuses to take the treat off the spoon or my finger. I can't give her the capsules directly as they are too big. Does anyone have any recommendations about the kind of things I can disguse the dry contents of the capsules in - I tried mixing it with her food originally and she wouldn't go near it. I've tried butter - she won't touch it. I am desperate for help - any suggestions welcome, thank you.

if you can open the capsule mix it with a little bit of water put it in an eye dropper and give it to her this way. If you can't open it then crush it up really really fine, mix with a bit of water and use the eye dropper. To give it to her kind of pinch the cheeks a bit to open her mouth, put the eye dropper in her mouth and squeeze the contents into her mouth then hold her head up and rub the throat, this will force her to swallow. Even better if you can ask your vet for a liquid form of the medication and use the eye dropper to give it to her

An other thing you can try is baby food, cats usually love the taste and consistency of baby food so she may eat it this way
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Welcome, I'm sorry to hear your cat is suffering with a tumor. I'd try giving her the powder in a small amount of a good quality canned cat food, like Wellness, Natural Balance, Avoderm, etc. Also, crumble the powder of a freeze dried treat like Orijen, over the food. The taste of the capsule will be better disguised that way, good luck, it's hard to get cats to take any medications especially if they aren't normally food driven.

I think Linda's suggestion of getting the med in liquid form from the vet is a good one. Be careful to slowly put the medicine in the dropper on the side of the cat's mouth and don't put it in too fast, give the cat time to swallow properly. If the liquid gets aspired into the lungs, the consequences can be serious.

Alpha, Nicky said mixing it in food does not work.

Nicky, what kind of tumor is it? If the tumor is benign, you don't have to panic every time Pixie misses a dose.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, Nicky said mixing it in food does not work.
    I know what she said CatMom, she said she was mixing it with a creamy treat. I specifically recommended that she use a quality food with crumbled freeze dried treats sprinkled over it, because the cat likely was getting used to what she was using and could clearly taste the medicine in the lick-e-lix.

What is your suggestion for her CatMom? Do you have any better ways to give the medicine other than what Linda and I have recommended?

Yes, trying a flavored version of the drug. Vets can order that.

Quote Originally Posted by NickyJL View Post
    Hello, I am encountering huge problems giving capsule contents to my cat, Pixie. I am giving her Canna-Pet as she has been diagnosed with a tumour. She has been taking the dry contents of the capsules mixed with lick-e-lix (a creamy treat) without any problems until yesterday and now she absolutely refuses to take the treat off the spoon or my finger. I can't give her the capsules directly as they are too big. Does anyone have any recommendations about the kind of things I can disguse the dry contents of the capsules in - I tried mixing it with her food originally and she wouldn't go near it. I've tried butter - she won't touch it. I am desperate for help - any suggestions welcome, thank you.
    Canna-Pet is a CBD product that is not prescribed by regular veterinarians, am I correct? It also comes in liquid form including a dropper, so you do have an option to the capsules.

What kind of tumor does Pixie have, is it cancerous, benign?? Have you had a doctor biopsy the tumor and diagnose what it really is? What is your reason for giving Canna-Pet to your cat, what are you looking to accomplish?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.