Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dog Treats

Dog Treats

Sorry if this topic has been discussed here already, but I did not see any recent topic on dog treats. I have been giving my two dogs a variety of treats, but I am not certain which ones are good or bad for dog healts. I have been giving them Pupperonni, Cannine Carryouts, milk bone, Healthy Max Salmon Treats, Boots and Barkley, and Busy Bone. These are all available at Walmart and Target. A lady at Walmart in the pet section told me that these treats could make your dog fat, and this raised my concern about dog treats. Are these okay for my dogs?

Many dog treats sold in places like Walmart and Target are not high quality or made with healthy ingredients, regardless of the labels that are made to tempt the consumer. After having some of my pets suffer from conditions like cancer, well before their time, I decided to educate myself a bit on food and treats. I found that nearly all of the inexpensive foods and treats had harmful ingredients, like chemical preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, and unhealthy ingredients like MSG (monosodium glutamate), etc.

The treats you've mentioned are not ideal, here's a page with some explanation...http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/2012/...-treat-labels/

A couple of the treats I give are these Old Mother Hubbard biscuits, and Nancy Anne cookies. I also feed jerky treats that are made in the USA only, such as Carolina Prime Pet, Chicken Breast and Sweet 'Tater Fillets. You have to judge by the ingredients, if it's a healthy treat. No BHT, BHA, or ingredients that are too hard to pronounce.

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/prod...x?&cat=1&pid=3
    http://pamperedpetsusa.com/

These treats are healthy but pricey. For more affordable treats that are healthy for your dog, you can just buy some baby carrots, or chop up some regular carrots and put them in a baggie for handy use. Be sure to wash any produce, especially if it's not organic, before feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Many dog treats sold in places like Walmart and Target are not high quality or made with healthy ingredients, regardless of the labels that are made to tempt the consumer. After having some of my pets suffer from conditions like cancer, well before their time, I decided to educate myself a bit on food and treats. I found that nearly all of the inexpensive foods and treats had harmful ingredients, like chemical preservatives, artificial flavors and colors, and unhealthy ingredients like MSG (monosodium glutamate), etc.
    No way! Are they putting MSG on dog treats? That's a dog killer! It's crazy that they put stuff like that when they know it's dangerous.

Try checking out Jones Natural Chews. A friend of mine blogs for them and I am sure she wouldn't be, if she knew their treats were unsafe.

As for me, I use Doggyman biscuits as I'm a little hesitant in using other commercial treats that are available, especially the chewy meat flavored ones. You can also try crunchy veggies like carrots as some dogs love them. And if you prefer meat, try dropping by your local meat shop and buy some liver. Boil them and chop them into pieces. Those make great treats too (when given in moderation).

My dogs love green beans, so I use them for treats. They also love their kibble enough for me to use it as a training treat.

Quote Originally Posted by haopee View Post
    No way! Are they putting MSG on dog treats? That's a dog killer! It's crazy that they put stuff like that when they know it's dangerous.
    Here are some other names that MSG shows up on dog food labels, and the negative health effects of Monosodium Glutamate on our pets...http://goodnessgracioustreats.wordpr...iases-for-msg/

Quote Originally Posted by NClady520 View Post
    My dogs love green beans, so I use them for treats. They also love their kibble enough for me to use it as a training treat.
    I think green beans are a great healthy treat for dogs, so far I've only tried carrots. You're very lucky to be able to use kibble as a training treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I think green beans are a great healthy treat for dogs, so far I've only tried carrots. You're very lucky to be able to use kibble as a training treat.
    I go through a rotation of different foods, so they never get bored with it. When I make them work hard, they would eat a rock as long as I presented it as a treat. Lol.

A lot of popular dog treats are long on fat/calories and low on neautrician. (sp?) I give mine the occasional small milk bone (about 1.1" long and 5 calories) They also get frozen green beans, carrots, and dried banana chips. I'm trying to figure out how to bake some canned pumpkin cookies that will hold together without using fattening binders likes eggs.

I never made homemade treats myself, but here's a simple one that I found online that doesn't sound too fatty...

Pumpkin Dog Treats

Preheat an oven to 300 degrees F. In a 2-quart bowl, combine 3/4 cups cream of wheat or rice cereal, uncooked and a 1/2 cup dry powdered milk and mix well. Add 1 can of pumpkin (without spices or salt) and stir until doughy. Drop rounded teaspoon onto a lightly greased cookie sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

Alpha1: Thankyou for that recipe! I'll try it after the holidays, as I'll have to shop for some of the ingrediants.

I do not want to give my dogs those kind of treats anymore. I am giving them some hot dogs ( I am sure that these are not that healthy, but probably bettter than the treats ) and i started giving cherios and rolled tortillas with melted cheese inside. My dogs love all this. I am also going to try the fruit and veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by puppysonny View Post
    I do not want to give my dogs those kind of treats anymore. I am giving them some hot dogs ( I am sure that these are not that healthy, but probably bettter than the treats ) and i started giving cherios and rolled tortillas with melted cheese inside. My dogs love all this. I am also going to try the fruit and veggies.
    Hot dogs are okay if they are 'beef' frankfurters. The others that don't specify also have pork in them, and pork is not healthy for dog's digestive systems. If possible, there are more expensive ones that are nitrate/nitrite free, more natural and less salty. Once brand is Coleman. Cheerios are sugary if I recall, which is unhealthy and can create yeast in the system, causing infections.

All dogs love a piece of cheese now and then, but cheese has a lot of fat. My dog and cat get small pieces of American cheese or any other mild cheese as a treat once in awhile, even every day if the serving is small. But honestly, melting cheese and rolling it into a tortilla (which is also laden in fat) is not a good treat for any pet. They love it, and so do we...but we know the consequences of eating too much of these types of foods. Our pets rely on us to do the reasoning for them.

Veggies are really the way to go. They are simple and natural. Once rinsed off, carrots, green beans, etc. are excellent treats for our pets. If they need to be more tempted, put a dab of coconut or olive oil on the veggie, and they'll like it very much.

treat recipes

Here's a couple of easy recipes I've come across for dog treats...

I have 2 very simple recipes that I've made for years and have also made with
    school children for fund raisers. The kids really enjoyed using my cookie
    cutters (paw prints, fire hydrants, dogs, dog bone, etc...) in different sizes.

**Roll them both out and bake at 350 about 10 min; I generally keep them a bit
    soft & chewy. Hope this helps.
    Tammy

Peanut Butter Puppy Poppers

2 cups whole-wheat (or white) flour
    1 tbsp. baking powder
    1 cup peanut butter (chunky or smooth)
    1 cup milk

Cheese Biscuits

2 c. whole wheat (or white)Flour
    1 c. Grated Cheddar Cheese
    1 c. Milk
    1 tbsp. baking powder

Mmmmmm. that sounds so good, Alpha 1. I will have to give those a try. I also make a healthy tortilla snack for my pups now, by making the tortilla soft in the microwave, I just coat them with healthy heartbeat margarine, cover with a paper towel, and heat in the microwave for a minute, then I sprinkle some grated light white cheese in the tortilla and roll. I cut each tortilla roll into fourths and give to my pups, They enjoy this. I wonder if dogs can handle a lot of carbs, as in the whole wheat, I know that whole wheat upsets my stomach. But I do know that whole wheat is considered healthier. I am also giving my pups some salmon on fish day, I know that this is probably the best thing for them.

He best ever dog treats can be given to cats too!

Look for 100% chicken breast, dried like beef jerky.

They are available at Trader Joe's and Petco. I've seen it elsewhere too, but Petco has a brand called Colorado Naturals that I like best. I also buy Trader Joe's brand in a pinch, but I prefer the Colorado brand, as its made with USDA meat.

A lot of similar products have additives that you do not want. Look for ingredients that say 100% chicken.

Our cats are obsessed with these. We have to be careful to limit to a small piece once a day or they'd eat nothing else. They love it that much!

They also help keep the teeth clean. It's a win win !

(It it not a balanced meal so it must not be given in large amounts or the kitty won't eat their fortified food that contains taurine etc)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.