1 yr male cat won’t stop spraying/peeing on floor

Busmith

My room mates cat, Purrcival, turned 1 and since then he’s been spraying/peeing on the corners of our house.

He does know how to use the litter box (he has pooped outside it a bunch but that’s mostly because his litter box gets full and doesn’t know what to do)
We have another cat (sort of, he’s a stray that visits us a lot) named Tyrion, but he’s hardly home, well behaved and ignores Purrcival for the most part.

My guess is that he gets anxious using the litter box since Purrcival already has a pooping problem, it’s just a simple tray out in the open so I know it isn’t the most comfortable thing to use.
Other than that I wouldn’t know what else is making him want to mark our house. When we place his toys on his usual peeing spots Purrcy will actually not spray that area so that’s good to know.

Our house is just starting to smell real bad :(

linda2147

is he neutered? A male cat should be neutered by five months old or they will spray. Now its a habit and you may have a hard time stopping it. A neutered male can still spray but usually don't. But they must be done young before they develop the havit. And keep those litter boxes clean, cats can be particular about their box and if its dirty they won't use it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I agree with Linda, have the cat neutered. You must keep litter boxes clean for your cats, they depend on us to do so. Cats are clean creatures and they do not want to walk on feces and assault their senses with old urine that stinks like ammonia. I only have one cat, but I removed the solid waste from the litter box every single day, and I change out all the litter with new every week to ten days. He has never gone out of the litter box since we've had him as a young kitten, he is also neutered.

The litter box must be kept in an out of the way place, away from foot traffic and activity, consideration for the cats must be done in its placement. More than one cat in the house means you need more than one litter box usually. Clean the boxes, clean and sanitize any areas that the cat has been spraying on, have the cat fixed and make a fresh start.

Busmith

Original Poster
is he neutered? A male cat should be neutered by five months old or they will spray. Now its a habit and you may have a hard time stopping it. A neutered male can still spray but usually don't. But they must be done young before they develop the havit. And keep those litter boxes clean, cats can be particular about their box and if its dirty they won't use it.
I forgot to mention that he got neutered at 5 months but still sprays, so I think it’s just a litter box thing

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
That makes it a lot simpler if he was neutered. I advise to go out and buy another litter box and a good supply of cat litter so you don't have to keep going to the store for it. Then put the boxes in areas that have low to no traffic. Clean all urine stained areas with a cleaner, a citrus cleaner may do, or there are special odor neutralizing cleaners available at pet stores that may be necessary.

Cleaning litter boxes on a daily basis should not be an issue with two people in the household. Good luck!

Busmith

Original Poster
That makes it a lot simpler if he was neutered. I advise to go out and buy another litter box and a good supply of cat litter so you don't have to keep going to the store for it. Then put the boxes in areas that have low to no traffic. Clean all urine stained areas with a cleaner, a citrus cleaner may do, or there are special odor neutralizing cleaners available at pet stores that may be necessary.

Cleaning litter boxes on a daily basis should not be an issue with two people in the household. Good luck!
Thank you, I’ll do that. His owners are hardly home so it’s difficult to keep the 2 litter boxes clean. I’ll make it a habit to do it myself just to help out my room mates and keep Purrcival from spraying again. (He’s been doing a lot better since I’ve tried this)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sounds good @Busmith, glad that you care and are trying to make this work. Good to hear he's doing a lot better! 👍