2 Adults with 2 Kittens - Tips

davdgreat

Hello All - My wife and I decided to get two kittens (3 months old) to add to our family of 2 adult cats (11 years old). We have been scouring the new for integration tips and tricks and are on a month to two month plan to integrate scents and visits over time. Does anyone have advise you can provide for a successful integration?

One adult is hissing at the door but getting less and less frequent and hear this is common, but also concerned about his stress level too so looking at this from both sides.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

TTouch

I have been 'rescuing' feral kittens for decades although ferals are hardier and more advanced than pet kittens, so need isolation from household pets ( cats/dogs) as well as a secure 'compound' or they run/hide and escape.....so for a few weeks while I get them used to house noises, people. pets etc.....however once they don't fly at me, hiss (like you have never heard before) they are isolated securely then I place them in a large dog crate, along with litter tray, food, water. toys ( which they don't play with) and a hidy box and cover the crate with a large blanket that goes right down to the floor ( in summer a large sheet) this absorbs noise and stops them from seeing what is going on and they are placed in the lounge..dogs are told to 'leave' ( and do) but cats are not obedient and will go and 'look/sniff' one makes itself at home on top of the crate and is shoo'd away after a few days I lift the blanket so it has a tiny gap at one side on the bottom and within hours generally the kittens will peek out, sometimes the cats ( and dogs) will peep in and often get hissed at but with 10 days I lift the blanket a little each day so there is more to see and more to hear but always leave the top covered and shoo the cats from sitting on top ( as it can be threatening to the kittens) ..... only then can 'my work' start which is taming these little fire crackers however that part of the plan could be useful for you, kittens are hardy and inquistive so it is getting the older cats used to the fact the kittens are staying as the smell is there is the room ( so they can gets used to that) and knowing the kittens can't be harmed by them....for your older cats you need cat trees or furniture they can jump up on to get out of the way and watch that the kittens don't/can't' get to them, that way the cats feel safe

Now my cats ( and dogs) are used to new kittens arriving reguarly so are more accepting and the kittens are feral so can't be handled or given free run however at 10-12 weeks old they are nuetered and if 'tamed' enough then will be off the new homes and make great very independant cats or if not released around where they were captured at about 15-18 weeks old

Last edited:

davdgreat

Original Poster
@TTouch Thanks for the info. These kittens are 3 months old would the crate idea still work and for how long do you leave the crate in the lounge at the beginning? We have 2 carriers that are backpacks with plastic screens for them to look out of. We were thinking of doing an hour a day of them in the backpacks exposing them to the older cats to get used to them slowly. Thoughts?

linda2147

when I get a new kitten I set up a large dog crate, put in litter box food and water and a toy. I put the kitten in and of course the older one will growl and hiss , this is normal. But they get used to seeing the kitten and the kitten seeing them, after a few days I take the kitten out and hold it and play with it then set it on the floor, If the big cats try to attack it I put the kitten back and try later. Usually within a week they adjust to each other but I still crate the kitten at night or when I can't watch them together. In around a month they have all accepted each other and though I'm still cautious but as long as the older ones don't try to hurt the kitten it can stay out as more time goes on the kitten no longer needs the crate and becomes just one of the pack.

TTouch

@TTouch Thanks for the info. These kittens are 3 months old would the crate idea still work and for how long do you leave the crate in the lounge at the beginning? We have 2 carriers that are backpacks with plastic screens for them to look out of. We were thinking of doing an hour a day of them in the backpacks exposing them to the older cats to get used to them slowly. Thoughts?
See if you can loan a dog crate from someone or you might find one second hand free or very cheap.... I agree with Linda, the priority is the cats/kittens get used to each other however keeping the kitten safe from attacks and a dog crate gives them space to move around, eat, toilet . hide and play ( so more natural behaviour) whereas a 'backpack' is tiny. reduced and unnatural space

davdgreat

Original Poster
See if you can loan a dog crate from someone or you might find one second hand free or very cheap.... I agree with Linda, the priority is the cats/kittens get used to each other however keeping the kitten safe from attacks and a dog crate gives them space to move around, eat, toilet . hide and play ( so more natural behaviour) whereas a 'backpack' is tiny. reduced and unnatural space
We are getting a play pen for them to hang out in inbother rooms I think that'll do the trick. Will post progress when I have an update.