Adoption issues

Midnight_trinity

I've been searching for over 3 months to add a puppy to my family. I m slowly losing hope that I will get one . I've applied at 20+ shelters/rescues all getting denied because I have a one year old I get that it's for liability reasons but if I'm adopting a dog younger then 3 months it can be worked on with my son and the dog. They say I meet all other criteria except that . Anyone else ran into this issue and have any advice?

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting - and more importantly, deciding to adopt a new puppy.

Pet rescue organizations will never let people with kids under a certain age adopt any dog for both physical and psychological reasons. Early in life, kids are in what is called the id stage - a total inability to understand they don't always get to do what they want to. They steal toys because it is not possible for them to think about sharing them. You can't expect your son to respect a puppy until he is past this stage. Also, all puppies have to be trained a lot of basic commands: sit, stay, down, no, come (by name), stop it, and heel (on a leash). They also need potty training and crate training. You would be very lucky if training both human and canine babies at the same time did not cause any problems.

The liability issue is any dog can hurt little kids. Animal control officers will confiscate the dog and maybe order euthanasia if it bites your kid. That would get personal injury lawyers involved if you have to sue to get your dog back. You have no chance of getting around it.

Last edited:

mechi2

Oh yeah I know the story, when I was a kid we got turned down by a shelter because my Mom filled out the form wrong, she chose the "playmate for kids" option when the correct answer should have been "companion" as a reason for wanting a dog. Shelters are in part to blame for overcrowding in shelters if you ask me. In a news article I read once, the writer said it's easier to adopt a kid than a dog.

My advice, go to a breeder

linda2147

not a good idea to get any animal with a young child. Kids can be mean and torment the animal then if the pup retailiates and bites or scratches the kid its the dog that gets in trouble not the kid. Say the dog has a toy and the child takes the toy and the pup jumps or scratches the kid again its the dog that gets in trouble.

I am not a breeder but if I were I'd never let a family with young kids have a puppy or kitten

mechi2

So are you saying people who already have a dog should not plan on having any kids or they should get rid of the dog? The family is in a better position to decide what is best for the family and if they are ready for a dog, not a breeder or shelter. As I recall Linda you said that at one time you were turned down because you didn't have a fenced yard, did the shelter make a fair assumption as to whether the dog would be in a safe environment, you didn't seem to think so because you then went to a breeder.

Of course care must be taken whenever there are small kids, children should never be out of sight when they are around a dog regardless of whether it's a puppy or friendly. I read of an incident where a few weeks old puppy was left beside a baby and it chewed off its ear. The puppy was not to blame because it was just playing but the parents wanted to put it down.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
In my opinion, it highly depends on the dog. We’ve had dogs that were not very good with kids, but we’ve also had dogs that were AMAZING. When my older siblings were just toddlers (before I was born), my mom and dad had a dog named Kally. Kally would protect my older siblings with her life. My mom still talks about when my brother (who was less then 2 at the time) snuck out the cracked slider and started walking down the street, kally just followed him and guarded him. A little bit later (by this time my mom was freaking out), the neighbor called and said that my brother and Kally were just sitting next to each other in the neighbors yard hanging out and snuggling.

Kally was an amazing dog and was super gentle with the kids and it worked out well.

But, many years later after we all grew up, we got a dog named daisy (English mastiff). Now don’t get me wrong, she was a GREAT dog for a group of teenagers/young adults to run around the yard and play with, but she would never have works with little kids. As teenagers, we would run around the yard and she would chase us and tackle us, then we would chase her and tackle her. She played tag with us, went hiking with us, chased squirrels, etc. she was a really fun dog, and we loved her, but she was by no means gentle, lol. We would wrestle on the front lawn (all completely playfully of course), then she would run around the yard and we play hide and seek and she would have to come sniff us out. Since she was so big, she could run REALLY fast without even trying. We would be riding bikes as fast as we could down a hill, and she would be running along side us and have no difficulty keeping up whatsoever.

Basically, I’m trying to say, it all depends on what dog you get. Some dogs will understand that a baby is just a baby, and will be super gentle with them, other dogs won’t and will just play rough not matter what.

One tip, a lot of times older dogs are gentler and better with kids. I know most people want to get a puppy, but an older dog might yield better results.

mechi2

Never let your guard down when it comes to small children and dogs, no matter what the breed, size, temperament or age of the dog. Children who are not old enough to protect themselves against a dog even if its in play, should NEVER be left alone with one, not even for a second.

linda2147

the problem with small children and a dogs is the kids have no clue what they are doing most of the time, and the parents don't always watch and disipline their kids. And kids can be mean whether intentional or not And of course a lot of people think their kids can do no wrong so its always the dog that gets in trouble if the brat gets bit or scratched or knocked down. How many times have you seen a todler grab a kitten by its neck and drop it

I hardly think not having a fenced in yard is the same as your little offspring being cruel to it

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Never let your guard down when it comes to small children and dogs, no matter what the breed, size, temperament or age of the dog. Children who are not old enough to protect themselves against a dog even if its in play, should NEVER be left alone with one, not even for a second.
But then again, should you really leave children alone with other children? 😅. I’ve experienced certain things being the youngest child. I have a number of scars inflicted by my older brothers when mom wasn’t around, lol.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
the problem with small children and a dogs is the kids have no clue what they are doing most of the time, and the parents don't always watch and disipline their kids. And kids can be mean whether intentional or not And of course a lot of people think their kids can do no wrong so its always the dog that gets in trouble if the brat gets bit or scratched or knocked down. How many times have you seen a todler grab a kitten by its neck and drop it

I hardly think not having a fenced in yard is the same as your little offspring being cruel to it
Yes, that’s why I was recommending a grown animal. When one of my brothers was a toddler, we found a cat that had a bunch of kittens so we were taking care of them. My brother found them and tossed one of the kittens across the room and gave it a bloody nose because he just didn’t understand. He thought it was a toy. The kitten was okay, but it could have been worse and that’s a good example as to why small animals and children should never be kept together without very close supervision 24/7.

It’s best to either have a grown animal that you trust with your kid, or wait till your kid is old enough to understand how to respect the life of another living thing.

CatMom1994

Oh yeah I know the story, when I was a kid we got turned down by a shelter because my Mom filled out the form wrong, she chose the "playmate for kids" option when the correct answer should have been "companion" as a reason for wanting a dog. Shelters are in part to blame for overcrowding in shelters if you ask me. In a news article I read once, the writer said it's easier to adopt a kid than a dog.

My advice, go to a breeder.
That is being too picky. It means even their youngest volunteers can't have dogs.

mechi2

You shouldn't trust any animal with your kid, it's when people let their guard down that tragedies happen. And that's very easy to do especially when you have a docile pet. I once had a very friendly chihuahua, no mean bone in her body, not even a growl. One day at a barbecue while I was sitting with my chi in my lap a toddler came up and I thought the kid wanted to pet the dog, but the little boy tried to grab the dog by the head, I pulled my chi away just in time before she had a chance to nip the kid.

CatMom1994

I recently heard a sad story about a good dog being mistaken as a bad dog because it accidentally scratched a baby. The parents left them alone to go somewhere and came home seeing a scratched baby on the floor with their dog, who looked like a pit bull. They thought their dog bit the kid, so one of them called animal control. The dog was taken to the pound. Nobody was able to find proof the dog had been vaccinated for rabies yet. The dog would not cooperate to let them examine the proof it did not bite the baby: an underbite as a result of being part boxer! So a healthy and good dog was euthanized. If the parents were home to see the incident, they would have known that dog was actually being nice to the baby.

linda2147

my daughter was at the vets one day with one of her bulldogs waiting to go in, a little girl about three ran up to the dog and grabbed him by his wrinkles and kissed his nose. Luckily this dog was very mellow and he accepted it with no problem, then the mother came up to her and said I tell her all the time not to do that, but she still does it. Who is the mother here,? You don't negotiate with a child, you make them do what they are told. That child could have lost her face then of course the dog would have been blames.

CatMom1994

If the girl's mom really does tell her not to do that all the time, she never would have thought about doing it to your daughter's bulldog. I doubt the girl is actually being told grabbing a dog's snout is completely unacceptable and dangerous.

linda2147

you can't teach anyone something you don't know yourself, obviously the mom wasn't to bright herself. had it been another dog, not so mellow the child could have lost her face