Adoption Process

AriahDow

Hello fellow animal-lovers! My colleague and I are graduate students at NYU working on a passion project to improve the pet adoption process and save more animal lives. If you have ever adopted a pet, considered adopting and/or have worked at an animal rescue, we would love to hear from you via our survey:

https://nyu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9Y7hzvzCtGy3HNj

The survey takes max 10 min and your responses are truly invaluable! Thanks so much in advance.

*Also feel free to share this link, as we want as many responses as possible.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I tried to take it but could not go back to change an incorrect response.

I don't "apply to" shelters. I fill out the adoption application the same day I hand over the money.

Esme

Done...I would never buy an animal from a breeder and would only adopt from a shelter. I hope your survey results can save some more animal lives!

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Don't the breeders know that we will not adopt from them? If so STOP BREEDING.
Breeders know people look for specific breeds they prefer and are not opposed to adopting pets. The good ones get their puppies and kittens spayed or neutered before selling them. Otherwise, I am opposed to breeding cats.

Silver

Zookeeper
I believe that there are enough animals that need homing and frown upon those that spend big bucks just to have a "perfect looking" animal.
I work with a lady that has a pure bred dog, it's not even a year old yet and has serious health issues because he is so inbred. Sad.

linda2147

I agree no matter what they are they all need homes. But I still prefer a reputable breeder only because the rescues make it so hard to adopt. I do have a rescue siamese but my bengals are purebred. When I was going to adopt a shepherd from a rescue they turned me down just because I don't have a fenced in yard. I have stellar references from vets and people but they still turned me down, so some dog missed out on a good home.

mechi2

I agree no matter what they are they all need homes. But I still prefer a reputable breeder only because the rescues make it so hard to adopt.
You hit the nail right on the head and that contributes to the problem of too many pets being in shelters

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
You hit the nail right on the head and that contributes to the problem of too many pets being in shelters
While Linda certainly should have been approved to adopt that dog, only God knows what would have happened to Pheonix.

I was turned down once. In 1996, Mom made the stupid decision to have Emily vaccinated at Petsmart when she was one year old, so we did not have any records she was up to date on the rabies shot. She had just changed veterinary clinics that year, so they did not have any records either. I understand the rule and was never mad at them, but it really makes me think people should not have their pets vaccinated at Petsmart.

Hamsterqueen101

Hi AriahDow!
Sorry, but I have no experience with any shelters as I bought all my hamsters from pet shops. Now I realise that, that was a terrible option and I am never doing that ever again. I hope that your survey can save and improve animals lives!
From Hamsterqueen101 xx

mechi2

The way I see it Catmom is that if a shelter turns down someone who indeed would not make a good pet owner, that person will turn around and get the pet somewhere else and that pet will end up being in a shelter in addition to the one the person wanted to adopt.

I too was turned down at a shelter when I was a little kid because my Mom gave the wrong answer on the application form, she chose she wanted a dog as a playmate for the kids, when the correct answer was she wanted a companion dog. We never went to a shelter again.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I was not being a bad pet owner. Emily was healthy and did not need anything except two vaccines. Emily did see a vet in 1995 but that was after she went to Petsmart.

mechi2

I wasn't saying you were a bad pet owner, I was just saying when shelters turn away people they think are not suitable for having a pet, people will get a pet somewhere else and the bad pet owners will abandon their pets to the shelters, the end result being more unwanted pets in shelters.

linda2147

a good breeder will ask questions and check references and microchip the litter. if the animal is lost or abandonded the breeder will take it bak its the backyard breeders and mills and pet stores that will sell to anyone that has the money, you have the cash you get the animal. And they don't advertise on forums or anyplace else, a good breeder wants to know where their animals are going and usually have a waiting list of people already checked out before they sell it to you.