Adoption Stories

princess-sprinkles

What type of dog do you have and what is your adoption story? Where did you get it from, how did you know it was the one?

I adopted two dogs from the pound before. One was named rasmus, he was an old looking ratty old Lhaso Apso. My mom decided to get him because she knew no one else would, and she could just tell that he was a good dog.
He ended up being a great watch dog with excellent manners and a very strange and quiet personality. He barely made a sound. Leads me to believe he saw a lot of things while he was abandoned on the street. Poor Rasmus. He has passed on now, but I think he was one of the bravest dogs ever. He was so quiet and good, and loyal too. Love you Rasmus, enjoy heaven see you when I get to ya ;)

My other dog is rags. We got him because he was a lhaso apso as well and we enjoyed their temperment. He ended up being a spoiled brat, but we loved him anyway. Although he didn't like me at all, he wouldnt let me go near him. I think its on account of I tried to train him the best I could but I just wasn't tough enough for the little guy. Anyway, I thought he was a girl dog until my mom brought him home and told me he was a boy lol. I took him for a little walk when I was a volunteer at the shelter when we were adopting him so I got to take him for a walk and he had a really good behavior. He was a great companion to my dog betelgeuse. He is our loved baby he is a sweetie but ever since his friends left he's been sort of gray. I hope he can cheer up, he is my best friend.

Attachments

towanda

Maybe you can find some new friends for Rags so he won't be so sad?

I got my dog when I volunteered at a pit bull rescue. I didn't want a dog at the time because I was working a minimum of 75 hours a week, and doing volunteer work about 10 hours a week.

This new dog came in, and he was very handsome, but he barked at me non-stop everytime I got in his sight. I couldn't stand his constant barking, and I dreaded having to go near his cage. The other volunteers said he only barked when I was there, but I didn't believe them. He also wagged his tail so violently when he saw me that his tail was bloody.

Apparently when I wasn't there, he just laid in his kennel looking sad and depressed. People who came in to adopt never wanted him because he looked so withdrawn and depressed.

After about six weeks of this, I realized that he was telling me that I belong to him, and that I am supposed to take him home. He rescued me more than I rescued him. I no longer work 75 hours a week, as I cannot leave him alone for that long, and I feel like I have a much more balanced life. And, he never barks, unless someone is knocking at the door.

princess-sprinkles

Original Poster
wow, that's such a great story!!! What is the name of the dog. I love pitbulls, they are very handsome dogs like you said. So depressing to go to the adoption centers because you want to help every animal but you cant, so being a volunteer is probably the best thing that you can do. I volunteered at the aspca and it was very rewarding for me to spend time with the dogs and give them some affection, play with them, clean up a little bit.

Thanks for the story, very touching.

skarlett88

I'm posting my adoption story even though it was my cat I adopted, not a dog. I hope that's OK. ^_^

Once I had been approved to adopt a kitty from the SPCA, I showed up to spend some time with the kittens and decide which one I would bring home. I had my eye on one that I had seen on the website that was just adorable, so I picked that one and took her to a separate room with lots of toys, to spend some time with her. She was just plain cute, but there was no connection. In my heart I knew she wasn't the right one to take home that day.

So I brought her back to the other kittens, knowing she would end up in a wonderful home, but it wouldn't be mine. Then I saw the new kittens that had just been brought in. Four little boys, brothers - and their mama. They all had similar colouring and markings, but one of them stood out to me, because he was the one off to the side, not fighting and scrambling for mama's attention. I knew I was to become that kitty's mama. So I picked him up, and he clung to my jacket, digging his claws in and wouldn't let go - until I adopted him.

They called him Buddy, and that is still his nickname. But we call him Arthur. He was just six weeks old when I brought him home, and next month he will be four years old. :love_heart:

princess-sprinkles

Original Poster
sure, cats are fine, too. What a charming story! I think it's best to adopt, especially when it comes to animals such as kittens because the cats seem to breed so darn much. Terrible that so many kittens will have to be coming to the shelters with no one to adopt them, so It's really great that you were a part of giving one of them a home!!! Arthur is a cool name :cool:

Plex

My family has a number of adoption stories from the past few years.
Around eight years ago when I was ten, my family was visiting the humane society looking for a new companion. When we were looking at the kittens, my grandpa and I were both immediately attached to a small black kitten, the sickly runt of his litter. Despite knowing he was ill, we decided to adopt him and with the help of the family vet managed to nurse him back to health, despite him being near death on more than one occasion Eight years later Smokey is happy and healthy, though he has some vision problems that we've noticed over time.
Around two years after that we decided to get a dog and we found a thin, scared black lab-chow mix named Shadow who we brought home... he had been abused and was absolutely terrified of most the people at the humane society and most people he met afterward, but after a while we managed to get through to him and now he's the best dog I could ever ask for and one of my best buddies. ^^

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My family has a number of adoption stories from the past few years.
Around eight years ago when I was ten, my family was visiting the humane society looking for a new companion. When we were looking at the kittens, my grandpa and I were both immediately attached to a small black kitten, the sickly runt of his litter. Despite knowing he was ill, we decided to adopt him and with the help of the family vet managed to nurse him back to health, despite him being near death on more than one occasion Eight years later Smokey is happy and healthy, though he has some vision problems that we've noticed over time.
Around two years after that we decided to get a dog and we found a thin, scared black lab-chow mix named Shadow who we brought home... he had been abused and was absolutely terrified of most the people at the humane society and most people he met afterward, but after a while we managed to get through to him and now he's the best dog I could ever ask for and one of my best buddies. ^^
Always wonderful to hear of great success stories like those of Smokey and Shadow! :D Kudos to you for caring enough to adopt and work with these poor animals that have been abused.