Advice Needed Re: Traumatized Cat

Hjpot

Hi, my 12 year old cat lost her companion last year to a dog attack and was bitten by a dog as well about a month ago. She has always been very shy and now she is hardly leaving her safe space. She is eating and drinking, but she is very inactive and skittish. She doesn't want to play anymore. I would like to know if it is advisable to get her a companion to distract her from her trauma?

linda2147

When I lost my male bengal to cancer my siamese was devastated, she cried and looked for him even to the point she'd try to go outside to find him. My cats are never allowed outside. My vet said it was stress and suggested I get her a kitten. A couple of months later I got another bengal kitten, it was love at first sight for her, Later that year I got another bengal kitten, at first there was growling and hissing from the two resident cats but within a couple of days they were fine. Now the three of them are always together, sleeping, eating and playing. It worked for me getting another kitten for my siamese. Your's would probably enjoy a companion cat but there is always the possibility she won't. Don't just throw them together, put the new cat in a large wire dog crate with her supplies and put the crate when the older cat can see it. This way she will get the scent of the kitten. At first expect the older cat to growl and hiss but this won't last long. Take the kitten out and play with it where the old cat can see, if all goes well leave the kitten out supervised, watch that the older cat doesn't try to attack it. Only when you are absolutely sure the old cat accepts the kitten can you leave it out of the crate all the time