Advice on where to begin?

Dance

I rescued my dog in April and we've obviously been in lock down.
He's the first rescue I ever had and so I made some mistakes, some I think were not avoidable given our circumstances.

First of all I like many was and still am not wanting to come in close contact with other people, I live alone and my family live in another country so I've isolated alone with the floofy. In addition, when walking him initially we didn't see anyone else because, well, there really wasn't anyone around but as we started to see other people eventually as we came into May/June then my floof got very Barky and would leap at people/dogs on his leash.

So this has now caused an internal anxiety in me. Now we're in November and although he is calmer and I'm aware of my body language... I definitely make mistakes and there are times, say 65% he still barks and leaps at people.

So.... my question is, given my error here in failing to socialize him. Should I start with training which by me is really expensive so hoping this could be a secondary option (but not opposed to it if its absolutely necessary), orrrrr could/should I look at training camps that have day camps.... the reason I say these kinds is because those working their are trainers, able to pick up on behavior since he'd be new to this sort of thing.

I'm worried that 1 he's not getting the socialization he needs but also our walks etc are never fun because of the leaping/barking.

Any thoughts, advice would be welcomed :)

linda2147

walk him with a harness instead of a collar. more control with the harness. Also teach him to sit on command and when you see another dog or person tell him to sit and when he does give him a treat. "The idea is to redirect him to something positive and change his mind . If all else fails walk him with a prong collar. I don't recommend this unless he is a big uncontrolable dog. This should be a last resort.

Dance

Original Poster
Hi Linda, I do use a harness but when others come more often than note he'll almost always do a flying leap at them. He does sit, I'd say the issue here is that he breaks it when something more interesting comes along 2 seconds later.

I'll give the treat trick a try, thank you :). He's a pretty little Shih Tzu, I'm not one for 'painful' enforced training especially given his size.

My biggest question here would be, when using the treat trick continuously... how long should I do this before I start seeing behavior changes, or until I should look at other ways to work on this?

linda2147

teach him the word "focus" and have him keep his eyes on you. When you say focus and he does give him praise and say good boy. do this around the house as well as the sit and focus on walks. It won't take long, when he sees another dog and gets distracted reinforce the sit and focus command, be sure to give him lots of praise when he gets it right