Anyone feel like sometimes that they're getting too much attention from their pets?

pegasus

We've had a dog for a couple of years now, and took in a cat also about 8 months ago. The dog was an attention hound even before the cat showed up, and is worse on occasion with attention seeking behavior now as he is no longer the only animal in the house. If both the dog and cat are awake at the same time, I've got one on one side and the other on the other side, both wanting petted or played with. Both like to play fetch. Even though they have separate toys if the dog sees me or my wife throw the cat toy (a heart shaped pin cushion) he will try to get it first and won't give it up. I have to throw the dogs toy first and then the cat's toy. There's been occasions when I'm rubbing one animals belly with one hand and petting the other. Having two animals that both want attention at the same time gets kind of old at times, particularly if you're trying to do something. Even when we're outside doing something now that the weather is nice, if they are both awake they're both out there, staring at one of us or the other. Fortunately they don't try to interfere with what we're doing when we're outdoors, but they do sometimes try to interfere with what we're doing when indoors. Sometimes it's annoying. :(

Thankfully some of the grandkids are over this weekend and my wife and I have a temporary reprieve. :) The cat likes one of the grandkids and the dog likes another one, and the grandkids like them too. They don't have their own animals at home. And of course we get to see the grandkids. It's a win win for everyone, at least for a little while.

Anybody else have a pet or multiple pets that seem needy for attention at times?

CatMom1994

My sister has a Labrador retriever/Chow Chow mix who thinks a fishing pole cat toy is hers. The dog came over to play with it every time I used it, not caring about the fact I got that toy out for one of her feline friends.

pegasus

Original Poster
My sister has a Labrador retriever/Chow Chow mix who thinks a fishing pole cat toy is hers. The dog came over to play with it every time I used it, not caring about the fact I got that toy out for one of her feline friends.
So the dog just likes the toy, and not trying to keep it from the feline friend? The problem with our dog is he's defintely not friends with the cat. He only chases the cat's toy if one of us is playing with the cat. It's been 8 months and the dog is still jealous. :( The only exception is the flopping fish my wife bought for the cat but the cat didn't like it. The dog liked it even though the cat ignored it. I think it's because it moved and the dog is fascinated by toys that move or make squeaking noises when bitten on. It had a small bag of catnip inside it and he still ignored it. Considering the exterior of the fish I can't see how he is supposed to smell the catnip anyway. He does however like a little pinch of catnip to eat on occasion.

Even though the grandkids have gone back home, their effect on the dog and cat is still working. :) Both the dog and cat are resting up from the weekend. Both of them got plenty of attention. I've got the dog sleeping just to my left side on the couch and the cat is resting on my right side at the moment.

CatMom1994

The toy is in a person's hand at all times when cats play with it so all the dog can do is divert attention away from the cat. "Play the game with me Mommy!" She wants the toy.