Baby squirrel

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
So, the day before yesterday, we had a huge wind storm. My grandma (who lives with us currently) went out into the yard and found a fallen squirrels nest with a baby squirrel in it. Not sure what to do, she picked it up and put it in a cardboard box and brought it in till the wind subsided. Afterwards, she saw a mother squirrel sniffing around the tree, so she put the baby out in the tree to see if the mom would come get it.

The mother didn’t find the baby, but ran up the tree and got another baby from a different nest and carried it away. We figured this must be it’s mom, so we warmed up a kitchen towel and set it next to the baby to keep it warm till the mom can back and left.

About 20 minutes later (we had gone inside and we’re watching through the window), the mom appeared again. This time, she found the fallen baby in the towel, sniffed it thoroughly and left it. The mother did not return that night. We couldn’t leave the baby out in the cold all night, so we brought it inside in the box. The next morning, my grandma called a local squirrel expert, who advised us to put the baby in the tree again and play baby squirrel cries to get the mother to return.

We did this, but to no avail. After several hours, we called the expert back. She said we could either bring the baby to her, or go to the store and get some pedialyte to get fluids in it and offer it some peeled grape and apple.

By this time the poor baby was weak and dehydrated, so I tucked it into my shirt and kept it warm. My grandma went to the store and got kitten formula, pedialyte and hamster food (dried fruit and nuts).

We managed to get the squirrel to swallow a little kitten formula and pedialyte, but it wouldn’t go for solids.

I snuggled it and kept it warm till late in the evening, then we tucked it into the cat carrier with a blanket and some warmed towels.

It adorable little creature peed all over me, haha, so that is a good sign. We know it has fluids in it and it’s peeing.

this morning nothing much has changed. It still sleeps most of the time and won’t eat solids but will swallow pedialyte.

Anyone have any ideas?

mechi2

Take it to the squirrel expert, or if your area has a wildlife rehabilitation center, take it there.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
We weren’t able to take the baby to the squirrel lady, so by her advise (over phone), we got sweet potatoes, apple, carrot baby food, watered it down with pedialyte and syringe fed it to the baby. The baby gobbles it up! The little thing loves it. We give the baby a cc or so every hour and a half(ish). It is looking so much better.

The little guy is such a cuddle bug and loves to borrow in your armpit. We have been keeping it wrapped in warmed towels.

The baby has open eyes and all it’s fur, but still small and sleeps a lot, so we are guessing maybe 5-6 weeks old? I’m so glad the baby is doing better. We are still figuring out where to go from here, but at least we know it is hydrated, fed and has its strength back.

mechi2

Hey that's great I hope the little guy makes it. There are some squirrel forums around, check out the most active ones, the folks there might be able to give you some care help