Beginner Fish Tank?

skarlett88

I've always loved the look of a fish tank and what it does for a room, having those little creatures swimming around behind the glass. Beautiful. I wonder if this is something I could do in my own home, and if anyone has any recommendations.

What types of fish are the easiest to care for? What types of tank are the easiest to maintain? I'm thinking a step beyond Goldfish in a bowl, but nothing huge or terribly expensive.

I would love to have a moderate sized tank with ten or so colourful swimmers. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ssalg

Goldfish are great first fish to have. They are easy to take care of and live for long periods of time. Many pet stores sell aquarium sets that include everything you need to maintain a proper environment. They are beautiful animals and will bring you a lot of fun times.

bigap

check local pet stores 29/30 gallon tanks aren't to big and can hold a nice assortment of tropical fish. You should be able to get set up under 150 buck even less if you check the classifieds BUT be careful and verify the used tank holds water. Freshwater tropicals are your best and easiest bet.

HunterSilver

How much time can you afford to give to your fish on a weekly basis? Before anyone can help you decide what would work well with you, we need to know what kind of work you're willing to put into owning fish.

Taking care of fish can be a handful, especially for a beginner so I'd like to stress the idea building a low maintenance fish tank alongside your easy to take care of fish. Maybe a snail to eat up that algae and a loach to take care of snail eggs so they don't become a problem.

As for low maintenance colorful fish, perhaps guppies, white clouds, and zebra danios would work well for you?

skarlett88

Original Poster
Thank you very much, bigap and HunterSilver, for your recommendations. I am definitely leaning to the low maintenance side, since I don't really know what I'm getting into. I hadn't thought of checking for a used tank. As for a time investment, I would be happy to spend an hour or so, maybe less, per week taking care of them. Feeding happens once a day, I think, and then would it just be a matter of cleaning out the tank on occasion? I'm not sure what this all entails.

deemac80

Tetras and Bettas are easy fish to take care. They are really low maintenance and fascinating to watch. Bettas tend to be resilient fish and can handle more changes to the aquarium then most fish. Both Tetras and Bettas are relatively in expensive to care for. Keep in mind that if you would like more then one type of fish that Bettas will often attack other fish if they feel threatened. They are best to be housed alone as they will eat the intruder. Tetras are a little different, they are fish that live in schools and you should always buy at least 12. Tetras need at least a 5 gallon tank to give them enough room to swim around.
If Bettas are more your type of fish, you can get separate plastic homes to keep them separated from your other fish. To keep the tank clean, you can buy an Algae Eater and he will keep your tank clean, if you have a large tank you can buy two. Always ask the person at the fish store which kind would be best.

prettychi12

We bought our tank used, we cleaned it out and bought goldfish for it. the thing about goldfish is, they come in many different types, we have one who is silver, gold, and black. they are also cheap and easy to take care of but they are dirty so it would be smart to invest in algae eaters to save you from having to clean the tank every few weeks.

Jaesway

I cannot keep any fish to save my life. Everytime I get them, they all die. I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I am not sure if I am cleaning my tank out properly or not. Poor fish I know they hate to see me coming in the pet store. They probably all start singing the song.."It's Over Now!" My kids absolutely love having the fish around and my oldest son who is on the autism spectrum found them rather soothing. I hate for him to become attach and then they die. I will just have to leave the fish alone until I know what I am doing.

Jae

Jaesway

I agree that they are beautiful, but I can't seem to keep them living long enough to enjoy them. I have to find out what I am doing wrong. It is rather depressing to wake up every week to find them dead in the tank. :-(

Jae

deemac80

Here are some reasons as to why your goldfish may not be surviving. Goldfish are actually a harder fish to keep then more people realize as they are finicky to their surroundings. First of all, the water in which they swim must be filtered water as most fish. Tap water contains too high of a Ph balance due to the chemicals that are added to make it drinkable. Changing the water too often may be another factor, try only changing it if it get foggy or the color is off. An Algae Eater is great for this. They like colder (cooler then 21C) water then most fish, so be sure to keep them away from heat and sunlight. Goldfish are hungry little creatures, so make sure to feed them for at least twice a day and for as much as they can eat within 5 minutes. By getting a water pump, you will keep the water moving and it will prevent the water from becoming stagnant. A fish bowl is only meant to be a temporary home, fish should always have a fully equipped fish tank. Hope this helps :)

petgoss

Reader
I would be careful when buying a used tank that has been made with silicone that holds the glass together. When filled with water the silicone tends to stretch and when emptied shrinks back often causing leaks in the process.

People new to fishkeeping tend to put too much effort into keeping their tank clean constantly changing the water or cleaning the filter, sometimes on a daily basis. You have to think of your fish tank as a giant living organism. Friendly bacteria will coat every inch of your tank. It will grow on your glass, gravel, rocks and even your sunk pirate ship. These friendly bacteria help filter out the poisons in the tank produced by your fish. If you do a deep clean on your tank the poisons reach deadly levels and your fish die.

Vash

For any beginner, I would suggest avoid goldfish. Unless you want a fairly large tank with only a few fish. Because goldfish will not only grow to pretty large size, (6" for fancy goldfish, 10"+ for common goldfish at full adult size), they produce a lot of ammonia as waste. You will be looking at minimal 20-gallon for just one fancy goldfish, or minimal 40-gallon for just one common goldfish.

Since OP wants "10 fish". I would suggest small sized tropical fish of no more than 3" long.
In that case, a 20 to 30 gallon tank will do just fine.
Besides the tank, you will need,
a filter,
a heater,
water conditioner,
aquarium vacuum,
fish food,
fish net.

You may or may not need substrate,
decoration,
plants (fake or real depends on yourself),
air pump and air stones,
lights and timer.

It is recommended to do a fishless cycle before you get any fish at all.