Best kitty backpack and harness?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
shadow (my cat) loves to follow me places, she runs after me when I go hiking. I feel really bad because she tires out and I find myself carrying my totally pooped cat back to the house every time. I’m thinking about a cat backpack, but I don’t know much about them. I’ve been shopping around for a kitty backpack and a harness for her. I don’t want her to be uncomfortable and not enjoy the ride, so I need one that she is really gonna enjoy.

For the harness. She has long hair and she loves to run around and play outside. No matter how much I try and com her hair, she still gets matting pretty regularly on her chest that I have to trim or shave off, so her chest is often bare and/or maybe a little sensitive. I’m afraid a harness might be uncomfortable on her chest. Any recommendations of the most comfortable kitty harnesses would be great to.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
I can't imagine a longhair cat liking a harness. She would definitely hate wearing it. Can you limit her outdoor activites to your own backyard?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
I can't imagine a longhair cat liking a harness. She would definitely hate wearing it. Can you limit her outdoor activites to your own backyard?
My backyard is 17 acres up a mountain... so....

I was gonna get a kitty backpack so she could go places with me (she loves going places with me). Whenever I go hiking on our property, she tries to follow me, but she eventually gets tired and falls behind and starts crying so I have to carry her the whole way. I was thinking she would love to have a kitty backpack and just ride on my back or something while I’m hiking, but it seems like most kitty backpacks recommend the cat being in a harness (for safety purposes).

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
The problem with a backpack is you can't see her. There is no way to prevent a bad guy from stealing her if he is walking behind you. You need to look for something that can be worn on the front of your body. That would be more fun anyway, don't you think?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
The problem with a backpack is you can't see her. There is no way to prevent a bad guy from stealing her if he is walking behind you. You need to look for something that can be worn on the front of your body. That would be more fun anyway, don't you think?
I agree, she likes to be very close to me so I was thinking front would be better. I doubt someone would be able to get that close to me (I have a pretty space bubble so I’m usually very aware when people are getting close to me), but I was thinking about a snuggly or something cause she likes to cuddle and be touching me.

I was thinking about a sling maybe? Like side/front. It would be nice and cosy for her and she would be close to my body. https://www.amazon.com/Reversible-Hands-Free-Adjustable-Comfortable-BuddyTastic/dp/B07CHTZD7Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=pet+carrier+sling&qid=1585435418&sr=8-17
Or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C2CGXJ7/ref=cm_cr_othr_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8#cm_cr_carousel_images_section

Last edited:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
The one I posted about holds a cat up to 15 lbs. I don't think I'd go with a sling, they don't seem very secure, unless you have a leash hooked up constantly.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Shadow’s weight is usually 8-10 pounds. She gains a little weight in the winter and weighs like 10 pounds, but in the summer she’s more like 8. I haven’t weighed her recently though.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Her weight should only fluctuate a few ounces. If she loses two pounds in less than a year, something is wrong.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Her weight should only fluctuate a few ounces. If she loses two pounds in less than a year, something is wrong.
Well, 8 pounds was a couple years ago, then when it got cold she went up to 9, and then I didn’t weigh her in the summer, then this winter she weighed 10, so we were thinking it might of been the weather, but it could just be a steady weight gain of her growing and maturing with plenty of food.

She acts very healthy, her fur is healthy, she looks heathy. I’ll see if I can go weigh her right now.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Just weighed her, she is 9.4 pounds (which I think she weighed 9.6 at the beginning of winter if I remember correctly).

I’ll keep an eye on her weight and make sure it doesn’t fluctuate to much.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Just weighed her, she is 9.4 pounds (which I think she weighed 9.6 at the beginning of winter if I remember correctly).

I’ll keep an eye on her weight and make sure it doesn’t fluctuate to much.
Sounds like a healthy weight to me!