Birds are so cool!

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
I love to watch birds. We have a bird feeder at our window so we can feed the birds, watch them, and keep them around our house. Do any of you have a liking for birds? These are some of the birds I like, they are called: yellow finch, cardinal, blue jay, and lots of others!!! They are a wonder to watch. If you like to watch birds like I do hang out a bird feeder and you can watch beautiful birds come back and forth by your window. And you are actually helping them stay alive by feeding them. But what if you have a humming bird around your house? Well, you can by a humming bird feeder or plant flowers so they can eat to.:)

All this will help our little bird friends to live!

Furballs&dogbones

I love watching birds too! :coolthumb: We have a feeder in our back yard and we sometimes put peanuts out for the bluejays. :bird:

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I forgot to say that we can feed blue jays with peanuts, they love them.:redflying: (sorry this bird is red not blue):playful:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I like watching birds outside my house and in the wilderness when we go camping. I don't know the official names of the ones by my house, but we have Robin Redbreasts, Mourning Doves, Blue birds, little chickadees, small black and yellow birds, woodpeckers, Magpies, Black crows, and larger birds like Red Tailed Hawks. I used to feed them many years ago, but my yard and neighborhood were overcome with squirrels that also chewed into the roof areas of the house and were causing damage.

My yard has pine and spruce trees, and plenty of pinecones and other things the birds seem to like to eat, along with a great amount of nightcrawler worms in the soil, that I see them eating often.

Red Tailed Hawk in my yard.

Seagull and Canadian geese at a nearby park.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I like watching birds outside my house and in the wilderness when we go camping. I don't know the official names of the ones by my house, but we have Robin Redbreasts, Mourning Doves, Blue birds, little chickadees, small black and yellow birds, woodpeckers, Magpies, Black crows, and larger birds like Red Tailed Hawks. I used to feed them many years ago, but my yard and neighborhood were overcome with squirrels that also chewed into the roof areas of the house and were causing damage.

My yard has pine and spruce trees, and plenty of pinecones and other things the birds seem to like to eat, along with a great amount of nightcrawler worms in the soil, that I see them eating often.

Red Tailed Hawk in my yard.

Cool! You can get squirrel proof feeders so you can still feed the birds and they will drop quite a few seeds that the squirrels will eat, thats what happens at my house.:)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I reloaded it directly from my computer, you should be able to see it now.

Cat001

I do like birds, I think my favourites are the Birds of Paradise, they tend to have extremely elaborate plumage. Cabot's Tragopan has an inflatable wattle for courtship which I think is a really interesting feature. I also find the Hoatzin really interesting because their offspring have claws on their wings which they use to climb back up to the nest if they fall.

Darkly Innocent

I've got a hummingbird feeder, bird feeder, bird bath, and blue bird houses in my yard. I really enjoy watching them all especially during the winter when it's cold out and harder for them to find food. They're always at the feeder then.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I've got a hummingbird feeder, bird feeder, bird bath, and blue bird houses in my yard. I really enjoy watching them all especially during the winter when it's cold out and harder for them to find food. They're always at the feeder then.

Yes! I have a bird feeder and humming bird feeder. I am trying to find a good bird bath.

mechi2

I love birds and I love to paint them. We have a small bird feeder in the backyard that's on a clothes line so the squirrels can't get at it. I make a yearly bird list (started last year) of the different kinds of birds I see from my yard. I also do watercolor sketches of the birds I've seen.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Alpha, they are called Canada geese, named after a persion, not the country north of us. My newly married sister told me that. There are so many in Ohio local governments try to control their populations, but I love them. Once I wished I could take one of the goslings to a bird vet because it was limping as a flock of them crossed in front of Mom's car. Just wondering, why do they like crossing roads that are nowhere near bodies of water?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Before I moved to Florida, my mom started with sunflower seeds for various species like cardinals, chickadees, and blue jays. I can't name all of them. After a couple finches planted sunflowers she switched to a finch feeder .Fun fact: Finches eat sunflowers upside down. After a while she decided to also feed hummingbirds and got a hummingbird feeder. Whoops: the hummingtbirdfs were afraid of the much bigger finches. She had to get rid of the funch feeder and only feed hummingbirds to get any. After hummingbirds started coming, she found a hummingbird tracker website where people report hummingbird sightings by species on a map during their biannual migrations to see when to begin and end her feeding routine each year. Only ruby-threated hummingbirds fly up to Ohio, and they come all the way from Mexico.

linda2147

I hate geese, when I was little my grandmother had a nasty goose, thing used to chase me and bite me every chance he had, I can still see that long neck streached out with with wings flapping as he chased me. Now I don't like anything that flies at me. Bird feeders are not a good thing to have here, bears have been known to bend iron polls to get the feeder down to get the seed. And encouraging birds to come would drive the cats crazy. Just thinking about a goose is enough to give me nightmares, that miserable winged monster ruined my life

mechi2

Alpha, they are called Canada geese, named after a persion, not the country north of us. My newly married sister told me that. There are so many in Ohio local governments try to control their populations, but I love them. Once I wished I could take one of the goslings to a bird vet because it was limping as a flock of them crossed in front of Mom's car. Just wondering, why do they like crossing roads that are nowhere near bodies of water?
Not so, they are in fact named after the country. It's an urban legend that they were named after a so called John Canada. Their scientific name is branta canadensis
meaning "black goose from Canada"

Cat001

They’re likey looking for suitable feeding grounds to support their nutritional needs. Geese are predominantly grass eaters and different species of grass have different nutritional values (the age of the grass can also effect its nutritional state). They’ll also be looking for things like berries and such to supplement their diets (often they’ll go to agricultural areas), and to find suitable food they sometimes need to travel out. Walking is less costly in terms of energy expenditure than flying so they choose to walk over flying for at least part of their search, they can also better examine the immediate area for appropriate foods. The trade-off for this, however, is increased risk of predation (cost-benefit trade-off). When by the water they’ll feed on aquatic plants but they need a range of foods to support themselves.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Not so, they are in fact named after the country. It's an urban legend that they were named after a so called John Canada. Their scientific name is branta canadensis
meaning "black goose from Canada"
So why did a legend appear that they were named after some guy named John Canada?

A more common myth I heard was they originally did not live in the USA full-time and people tricked them into expanding their range by feedintg wild geese. Why would geese migrate only a few hundred miles?

Cat001

Mechi is correct, if the goose was named after a person it would be given the name "Branta canadai" or "Branta canadaii" rather than "canadensis" to denote it's named after a person, but as it stands the name implies that it's named after a location.

Furthermore there is no reference to a "John Canada" in any scientific literature that I can see, the closest I got was a place called St. John's in Canada, so I question whether this person actually existed.

The Canada goose is originally a near arctic/ cold temperate species that has proven very adaptive to man-made areas such as agricultural land which the locality affords them good predatory defence, resulting in the species settling in areas they historically didn't live in, we even have them in England.

Myths and old wives tales crop up for all species and is just a reflection on the humans fondness for story telling, such as camels storing water in their humps, snakes being deaf, goldfish having a 5 second memory and cats having 9 lives, all are untrue.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
People just don't know what is actually inside a camel's hump or where a snake's ears are. I always heard camels having humps to carry water because very little H2O is available in the hot desert. Nobody seemed to know camels do not need a lot of water.