Bringing a New Baby Home

ALR1111

Hello! My husband and I will be welcoming our first child into our family any day now. :love_heart: We have a very sweet, two year old Lab mix who loves children. We have other beloved pets but she has really set herself up as the baby of the family.

I know that people generally bring home something with the baby's scent on it so that the dog can sniff it before the baby comes home. However, I will be giving birth at a birthing center and bringing our son home the very same day. There will not be any time for Keiko to get used to his scent ahead of time.

I want to make sure that Keiko is very gentle and submissive around the baby right from the start. Obviously, I will not be leaving the baby unattended with the dog. I would like to know what I can do from the start in order to make this an easy transition for Keiko.

To further complicate the situation, my entire family (husband, self, cat, dog, rat) all live in one small room in my mother-in-law's house. My husband was injured in a car accident, lost his job, and we were forced to downsize big time. This was within weeks of finding out we were having a baby, too.:( Anyway, it may be as long as two months before we are able to move out, so separating the baby and dog is not an option.

Does anyone have any advice for me on how to introduce the baby to the dog in such an unusual situation?

LPC

Labradors are very gentle and I doubt that you will have problems. It would be best to let the dog stiff a few items belonging to the baby, then if all seems well in her attitude let her sniff the baby and watch the reaction (of the dog, not the baby! :angel:)

Best of luck with the baby coming, and I do hope that your husband gets better.

ALR1111

Original Poster
Thanks for you reply and well wishes LPC! I think that's a great idea to let the dog sniff the baby's things and then, the baby. She is definitely aware that something is going on because of all the new things we've brought home. My husband and I tease that in the long run the dog will probably love the baby more than us because he will be her best buddy as he grows.

NClady520

I brought home my baby with no problems to house with two dogs and two cats last year. My dogs know where they stand in our pack and have never tried any dominance over either of our children. I would be more concerned about an unknown dog doing damage to my kids than my own dogs hurting a baby.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Congratulations on your new baby, that's wonderful! :) I think letting Keiko sniff things related to the baby is a very good idea...also, give the dog extra love and affection so there's no jealousy created. Hoping all goes well with your family. :love_heart:

ALR1111

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies! Our son was born June 9th and we brought him home June 11th. Keiko has been very curious about him but also very good. We did let her sniff his things before sniffing him and it worked out very well. She has already set herself up as his protector! :) Because our son is jaundiced we have had doctor appointments nearly every day and I haven't had the time that I would like to remind my pets (we also have a cat and a rat) that I still love them. I have been able to feed them and pet them here and there but I am really looking forward to the coming week when I have less appointments and more time to reassure my fur babies that they are still very dear to me.

One thing I can say is that I truly love a full nest! I feel very fortunate to have such a beautiful family. :love_heart:

Goldfinch7

Congratulations on the birth of your son! Hope he gets over the jaundice soon & I'm sure your fur babies are in no doubt that you love them very much xx

Plex

Congrats on the birth of your son and I hope he gets of jaundice soon!
I'm glad to hear that your dog is setting herself up as protector and is taking it well, labs are good with children usually; I'm sure even with all the appointments your fur babies don't doubt your love, but they're sure to enjoy the attention you give them as appointments dwindle in number!

ALR1111

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the support and well wishes! My baby has his next appointment on Friday and he does not look jaundiced anymore so we are expecting a positive outcome. I did have a little more time to spend with my pets today and they seemed happy. Luckily, my husband has been very supportive by giving them each some individual attention while I have been adjusting to taking care of the baby.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thank you so much for the support and well wishes! My baby has his next appointment on Friday and he does not look jaundiced anymore so we are expecting a positive outcome. I did have a little more time to spend with my pets today and they seemed happy. Luckily, my husband has been very supportive by giving them each some individual attention while I have been adjusting to taking care of the baby.
It does sound like you have a wonderful and loving family there, good for you! Hoping for good results from your Friday appointment. :positive:

Plex

Hoping for good results from your Friday appointment as well, good luck!
Glad to hear the pets are happy too!

ALR1111

Original Poster
We had to reschedule the appointment for Monday but I will let everyone know how it turns out. In the meantime, the baby seems to be steadily gaining weight. Our already chubby cat is gaining weight as well. I think she has been eating more since we brought the baby home. Lol!

ALR1111

Original Poster
We took the baby to the doctor's office today for his weigh-in and the nurse said he showed enough weight gain! He goes to his two week checkup on Thursday. Hopefully, the pediatrician says that the jaundice is all gone.

I know that I have been a pet mom for years because I almost typed "the vet" instead of "the pediatrician." :D