Can a Cat Catch a Cold?

skarlett88

This morning we found the great outdoors completely covered in snow. In April. :snowman: Anyway, it occurred to me that I actually have never seen a cat have a cold. I've seen it in dogs. Does anyone know if cats can catch a cold, either from another cat or from being outside in, say, snow?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I don't think that either cats or humans cat colds or flu from being outside in the cold. It's more from coming in contact with a virus, and a weakened immune system.

Here's some info about upper respiratory problems in cats. http://holisticat.com/uri.html My kitten sneezes now and then, but the vet said he was fine. I think in my case it might be sensitive to scented things, etc. I try to use soaps free of dyes and perfumes, etc.

skarlett88

Original Poster
As it turns out the cat's mama (me) caught the flu the day after posing this question. Still fighting it. >_< At least the kitty is happy and healthy.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
As it turns out the cat's mama (me) caught the flu the day after posing this question. Still fighting it. >_< At least the kitty is happy and healthy.
Poor girl, gotta take the vitamin C and D3, that will help. I haven't had the flu shot or the flu in many, many years, thank goodness.