Can cats play tug?

JustineBlake

Oh man, does she growl when she plays? My kitties love to play tug and fetch. When I bring home a new cat toy (it has to be a very specific type of toy for each of the two cats, mind you), they steal it from me with a growl and a hiss, and guard it for about ten minutes, growling constantly. Then they bring it to me so we can play tug, and they continue to growl and hiss the whole time. I think it's kind of adorable.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
If Daisy ever growls, the noise is outside of my hearing range. She never turns her ears back while playing, so I highly doubt it.

cluckmecoop7

Chicken Crazy!
Original Poster
Thanks guys! It does seem a little strange but I guess they can do it.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
The tug toy seems nice. I hope it would probably save my furniture from being chewed.
How would playing tug keep a cat's claws off your furniture? The solutions to that are a scratching post or pad, depending on what your cat prefers, and a cat tree.

IRWiesel

Yetidog37 Just like with a dog I would not pull to hard. One of my cats lost a tooth when I was holding her toy and she was pulling on it. It was one of her tinny teeth in the front so she is fine! But I have seen plenty of dog teeth come out from the game (the dog was very old and had teeth issues being treated by the vet).

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Those teeth are called incisors. Iti's a good thing cats and dogs are not rodents!