Can pets get coronavirus?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Everyone talks about canceling events that draw "big crowds" such as campaign rallies, concerts, and gavesc in every team sport. Both Disney parks closed. To go anywhere without learning about coronovirus spread, you must be blind and deaf.

Naturally, the media only reports human fatalities and does not care if dog parks are affected. Is it possible for a COVID-19 carrier to make your pet sick?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
That is so sad. Just one dog testing a weak positive should not cause so much panic.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Wise for people not to panic unless they know the facts....from various sources.

laugher

I'm sure we've all read about Nadia, the Malayan tiger at Bronx Zoo who tested positive (https://nypost.com/2020/04/05/bronx-zoo-says-tiger-didnt-get-a-human-coronavirus-test/)

As recently as a fortnight ago, I was still reading that most animals may be immune or impervious or just less susceptible to the novel corona virus. What concerns me now is people's attitudes toward animals. We don't think we may have given animals the virus. Rather we want to think of them all as sources of infection. I hope this doesn't come to pass. Many strays are already starving on account of widespread lockdowns, and the last thing we need is over zealous people exterminating strays and other animals. I don't mean to paint a bleak picture. I'm just deeply wary of the human specie. Nonetheless, virologists and biologists have been saying that different species are affected by different strains of the corona virus, and that this has been happening long before we noticed the novel covid-19.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
In the past bird flu and swine flu were big news. Many Americans panicked about birds and pigs because flue strains were named after them. This time, there is no legitimate reason to blame animals with a name like coronavirus. Corona means "Czech money" or "crown" in Europe and "beer" in the United States.

Aimitertyso

Our pets can get the virus but as the news says, Coronavirus might have a different effect on animals than to humans. Still the fact that they can contract it means they can transfer the virus to us and I hope it's not the case.

ILovepetBlaire

Also agree to not raise a panic just because one dog got weak positive for Covid-19. For all we know, the virus will just like an itch to them and nothing more. :)