Can someone help me identify what kind of turtle this is?

jtbrn

IMG_0884.jpgMy mom recently got this turtle as a gift and we are not quite sure what kind it is, or how to care for it. Any tips on housing and how often it should be fed would be really appreciated!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
View attachment 10928My mom recently got this turtle as a gift and we are not quite sure what kind it is, or how to care for it. Any tips on housing and how often it should be fed would be really appreciated!
He’s probably a red eared slider I’d guess, but could you post a photo of its belly as well so we can be 100% sure on ID?

Most turtles need a rather large aquarium (he will probably do best in a 75 gallon or so as an adult, but 50 gallons is doable). He will probably need it 50-70% water with some sort of basking area on land with a heat light and a UVB light. The water will need to be filtered and heated. I’ve heard internal waterfall filters (like tetra whisper filters) with custom filter media work pretty good for turtle tanks. In my tetra whisper filters, I use a mix of pollyfill, lava rock and corse sponge. It seems to work pretty well on my goldfish tank, and goldfish can be quite messy at times.

You can feed a mix of turtle pellet foods, veggies, shrimp, etc.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
View attachment 10930Here's the belly! And thank you for all the help :)
Yep, looks like a red eared slider to me. You can do a quick google search on red eared slider care and get a ton of information on them (tank setup, diet, etc). Red eared sliders are some of the most common pet turtles and there is a lot of great media out there on them. :)

Best of luck to you and your turtle!