Can You Help Me Choose A Pet?

PetLover3000

I am looking for a new pet to keep me company or even just to watch. I prefer something more independent, like a cat or rabbit, but wouldn't mind an animal that needs human attention. I also need something that will either get along with my cat and dog or just never interact with them. The pet I get should be easy to convince my parents to let me get. No birds, rabbits, snakes or rats. They either creep out my dad or are too destructive for my mom. I am open to any suggestions, even ones that don't work with my preferences

Thank you

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I am looking for a new pet to keep me company or even just to watch. I prefer something more independent, like a cat or rabbit, but wouldn't mind an animal that needs human attention. I also need something that will either get along with my cat and dog or just never interact with them. The pet I get should be easy to convince my parents to let me get. No birds, rabbits, snakes or rats. They either creep out my dad or are too destructive for my mom. I am open to any suggestions, even ones that don't work with my preferences

Thank you
I know this might not be quite what your thinking of, but what about an aquarium? There are some very interactive fish out there. You could get a 5.5 gallon planted tank and some freshwater shrimp, maybe a betta or a snail. You could make a really nice habitat for a betta in 5 or 10 gallon planted (live plants) tank. If you only had a betta or some shrimp and it was heavily planted, then you would probably only need to change 30% of the water every week or two (just syphon it out with a gravel vac). Just read up on the nitrogen cycle.
I think a 10 gallon is probably the easiest size to start with. It’s big enough to have stable water perimeters, but small enough to be super easy to clean. I just vacuum the gravel and change 25-40% of the water every week.

Another one might be a packman frog, have you looked into those?

Last edited:

PetLover3000

Original Poster
I know this might not be quite what your thinking of, but what about an aquarium? There are some very interactive fish out there. You could get a 5.5 gallon planted tank and some freshwater shrimp, maybe a betta or a snail. You could make a really nice habitat for a betta in 5 or 10 gallon planted (live plants) tank. If you only had a betta or some shrimp and it was heavily planted, then you would probably only need to change 30% of the water every week or two (just syphon it out with a gravel vac). Just read up on the nitrogen cycle.
I think a 10 gallon is probably the easiest size to start with. It’s big enough to have stable water perimeters, but small enough to be super easy to clean. I just vacuum the gravel and change 25-40% of the water every week.

Another one might be a packman frog, have you looked into those?
Yes, I have an aquarium. I was thinking something a little more interactive? No, I hadn't considered a frog. That sounds like a good fit, but most stores near me don't have many frogs. Maybe a bearded dragon would work? I also would prefer something furry, if possible?

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Obviously a cat! They sleep 16 hours a day and except for untamed ferals, never need to go outside.

mechi2

If you already have a cat and dog and an aquarium, why do you feel you still need another pet to keep you company or to watch? Are you just looking for something new? If you are, that is a wrong reason to get a pet.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Yes, I have an aquarium. I was thinking something a little more interactive? No, I hadn't considered a frog. That sounds like a good fit, but most stores near me don't have many frogs. Maybe a bearded dragon would work? I also would prefer something furry, if possible?
I would be very surprised if your LPS didn’t have packman frogs. They are very common pets. They are ambush creatures so they’d will sit mostly buried in the dirt (just their eyes peeping out) until you dangle food in front of their face. They don’t need a lot of space and they are interesting to watch.

With fish it highly depends on the type of fish, many fish are not very interactive, some are, some aren’t. I’ve found some of the most interactive fish (that I’ve seen at least) to be parrot cichlids, fancy goldfish, Flowerhorns, and a few others. Bettas are often very interactive also, but they are much smaller so it’s not the same for most people.

If you have space for like a 50 gallon tank or something, then I would definitely recommend a Flowerhorn, those thing are the most interactive fish I’ve ever seen. They are total wet pets. They will be your friend and companion (even if they are confined a glass tank) and they are also super cute. They are very very aggressive with other fish though, so it would be a single wet pet deal.

Look up King of DIY’s videos on frank (his Flowerhorn) and you’ll see what I mean about them being super super personable.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
If you already have a cat and dog and an aquarium, why do you feel you still need another pet to keep you company or to watch? Are you just looking for something new? If you are, that is a wrong reason to get a pet.
I agree, also getting another pet can be tricky when you already have a dog and cat, you have to be sure that they will get along with the new addition and not harm it.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You already said no rabbits, can't think of many more pets that are furry, except maybe a ferret. But you need to be sure it's a pet that will not be harmed by your dog or cat and will get along.

As mechi said, you already have a cat, dog and fish.....is there a reason you're seeking an additional pet right now? Do you spend time every day with your dog, walks, runs, play time? Do you completely take care of the pets you have right now, or do your parents?

cluckmecoop7

Chicken Crazy!
How about a small flock of pet chickens? :) They are easy to care for, they live outside, and they can be just as good as dogs and cats! PM me if you have questions about chickens. I own 10.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Chickens generally require a lot more care and commitment then most other animals. If you have lots of space outside and are willing to commit to something like that then they might be a good animal for you. You can PM me to. My sister has a website about chickens. They do take quite a bit of care and lots of equipment (especially if plan on getting chicks). Usually I don’t recommend them unless you want to be really into your birds and are prepared to poor a lot of time and money into it to get the right setup.

cluckmecoop7

Chicken Crazy!
Chickens generally require a lot more care and commitment then most other animals. If you have lots of space outside and are willing to commit to something like that then they might be a good animal for you. You can PM me to. My sister has a website about chickens. They do take quite a bit of care and lots of equipment (especially if plan on getting chicks). Usually I don’t recommend them unless you want to be really into your birds and are prepared to poor a lot of time and money into it to get the right setup.
Your making is sound like it's not worth getting chickens. Dogs and cats usually cost a lot more than chickens including vet bills.
Yes, you should make sure you know what your doing - but chickens can be a joy to have around!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Your making is sound like it's not worth getting chickens. Dogs and cats usually cost a lot more than chickens including vet bills.
Yes, you should make sure you know what your doing - but chickens can be a joy to have around!
They are totally worth it to me! I was just letting the OP know that they do require outdoor space and a little more work then most indoor pets.

Last edited: