Cancer and ivermectin

Cinnamon

Background: Dad picked up a larger mutt due to be euthanized at a local shelter, as no one would adopt him. The dog had a large, soft tumor on one paw, but dad would not spend the money to have it removed. The tumor never grew over the course of five years. Dad passed, and I took responsibility for the dog. Within a couple months, the tumor began to grow, eventually to the size of a very large walnut. It hardened, and small sores began to appear on the outer surface. I had a vet remove the tumor. A lab reported the tumor to be cancerous (I cannot recall the type, and it was never written down for us). Cancer cells remained in the paw, and would be impossible to surgically remove. Amputation of the entire leg offered was the only possibility of survival, but was impractical, given the dog's age and size. We assumed we would make the dog as comfortable we could during the remaining time it had.

Detail: We had just lost a family member to lung cancer. Some time prior, I happened to read an article relating human cancer therapy with drugs intended to treat heart worms in dogs. Naturally, I had suggested this therapy to my family, as doctors had declared my relative to be terminal, but no one sought out additional treatment. My relative died very soon after that terminal diagnosis.

Before the dog's tumor was removed, I had taken him for a checkup and dental care my dad my dad was never inclined to provide. I bought a six-month supply of Heartgard Plus ivermectin chewables at this time, but never thought much of it, again. In fact, I forgot to give them to our new dog. At this point, the tumor was soft, unchanging, and declared most likely benign. However, immediately following that visit, the tumor began its rapid growth. After removal, cancerous lumps and nodules began to form at the site, which was healing only slowly, and began to swell, again.

The returning cancer sparked my memory and inflamed my sense of desperation. I began treating the dog with a monthly chewable. The nodules disappeared days after taking the first tablet. The swelling subsided after a couple more months. Four months on, the wound has finally healed up considerably.

Of course, I have no credibility here. I'm not a doctor. I'm just a pet owner. I read a story about one fellow with terminal cancer being cancer-free in three months after starting treatment, as recommended online by a veterinarian, who himself had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. I took a chance. Cancer was going to kill this dog; it wasn't as if the medicine would make the dog any more dead. Please, just Google cancer and ivermectin. There has been actual research, but it's not being reported with the urgency one might expect; moreover, as a patient (canine or otherwise) would hope when facing a terminal cancer diagnosis. You just have to ask, why doesn't everyone know about this?

And, no, the vet who remove that tumor never said anything about ivermectin. He said the dog was going to die, slowly. I don't know if he has any knowledge of this particular application for ivermectin. I can't wait to see him again—hopefully, with a healthy and happy dog by my side.

Here is an example of what I found out there in cyberspace:

"The multitargeted drug ivermectin: from an antiparasitic agent to a repositioned cancer drug

Mandy Juarez,1 Alejandro Schcolnik-Cabrera,1 and Alfonso Dueñas-Gonzalez2

Author information Article notes Copyright and License information Disclaimer

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Drug repositioning is a highly studied alternative strategy to discover and develop anticancer drugs. This drug development approach identifies new indications for existing compounds. Ivermectin belongs to the group of avermectins (AVM), a series of 16-membered macrocyclic lactone compounds discovered in 1967, and FDA-approved for human use in 1987. It has been used by millions of people around the world exhibiting a wide margin of clinical safety. In this review, we summarize the in vitro and in vivo evidences demonstrating that ivermectin exerts antitumor effects in different types of cancer. Ivermectin interacts with several targets including the multidrug resistance protein (MDR), the Akt/mTOR and WNT-TCF pathways, the purinergic receptors, PAK-1 protein, certain cancer-related epigenetic deregulators such as SIN3A and SIN3B, RNA helicase, chloride channel receptors and preferentially target cancer stem-cell like population. Importantly, the in vitro and in vivo antitumor activities of ivermectin are achieved at concentrations that can be clinically reachable based on the human pharmacokinetic studies done in healthy and parasited patients. Thus, existing information on ivermectin could allow its rapid move into clinical trials for cancer patients.

Keywords: Ivermectin, cancer, drug repurposing

Last edited: