Cat Attacking Me and Poor Behaviors Now That I’m Pregnant.

KellxMogo

A little background: My best friend found Bean (the cat) when he was roughly 6 months old as a feral kitten. She took him in and kept him for 6 years, in that time getting him fixed and making sure he got regular vet care (usually twice a year) but during that time she never worked on training or correcting bad behaviors. He’s stayed very aggressive and while living with her was not properly litter box trained, nor was his scratching behavior corrected. He’s shredded a few couches, curtains, carpets, doors and walls. She finally asked me to take him, so I did.
Since having him (almost 2 years) I’ve gotten him litter box trained, and have made major improvements on his scratching/shredding behaviors, but he still clawed the couch quite a bit. I even was able to calm his aggression a surprising amount. Then I became pregnant and those poor behaviors have all come back. Since about 12-14 weeks along he has been attacking me every chance he gets, one of the times causing an infection on my thigh. I’ve tried feliway plug-ins for months and even a calming collar and have seen no improvement, only worsening. I’m now 20 weeks along and I can’t walk into the same room as him without getting attacked. I’ve had to completely block off my room from him because he urinates and poops on my bed and on any clothes that he can get to. With him not having access to my room anymore, he is now soiling the furniture and even has pooped on the stove and on top of the kitchen cabinets. My husband took him to the vet and his tests came back normal and the vet said he is completely healthy and that this is a behavioral issue. She gave recommendations that we’ve already tried, but I am starting to feel like I’m at the end of my rope here. I’m so worried about how he will respond to my son when he’s born and the possibility of Bean attacking him.
I need advice and recommendations. I hate to feel that this is a lost cause, but I need to know if there is anything left for me to do.

Things I’ve tried:
* Feliway Plug-ins (still using without results)
* Calming Collar
* Double-sided tape on surfaces to keep from scratching and soiling
* Orange scented sprays for surfaces
* Calming cat treats
* Squirt bottle
* Keeping litter box in quiet low traffic area
* One on one play/bonding time
* Giving him space
* Making sure he has special places in the house just for him
* Vet visits to check for sickness or possible discomfort

linda2147

get him a kitten. He may need the company of another cat to calm him down a female of course. Another male would not work, he'd be marking more and fighting, The cat sounds like he's stressed, those plug ins are useless you can also try a squirt bottle, when you catch hem scratching or other bad behavior give him a good suggested in the face. Use just plain water. If getting him a companion kitten doesn't work in all honesty I would not put up with this behavior. I would have him put down as no one will put up with it. Nothing worse than a dirty cat. When I had my first bengal many years ago he was so bonded to me that he'd pull his hair out so I took him to a vet and vet said stress and sugessted I get him a kitten, I did and that ended the problem

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your detailed post.

First of all, I hope you never cleaned the litterbox during the last 20 weeks. Feline poop contains the fungus that causes taxoplasmosis and this is deadly to unborn humans. I know the last thing you want is a dead baby and hope he will be a healthy boy.

Second, I totally disagree with Linda on putting him down. Call animal rescue organizations in your area. Some of their volunteers may be good at training cats like Bean to make him adoptable - hopefully to a home that already has a female cat.

KellxMogo

Original Poster
get him a kitten. He may need the company of another cat to calm him down a female of course. Another male would not work, he'd be marking more and fighting, The cat sounds like he's stressed, those plug ins are useless you can also try a squirt bottle, when you catch hem scratching or other bad behavior give him a good suggested in the face. Use just plain water. If getting him a companion kitten doesn't work in all honesty I would not put up with this behavior. I would have him put down as no one will put up with it. Nothing worse than a dirty cat. When I had my first bengal many years ago he was so bonded to me that he'd pull his hair out so I took him to a vet and vet said stress and sugessted I get him a kitten, I did and that ended the problem
I did get him a female companion about 8-9 months ago, she was 3 months old. He was very aggressive with her and attacked her many times. After 3-4 weeks of trying to correct that I ended up rehoming her for her safety.

KellxMogo

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for your detailed post.

First of all, I hope you never cleaned the litterbox during the last 20 weeks. Feline poop contains the fungus that causes taxoplasmosis and this is deadly to unborn humans. I know the last thing you want is a dead baby and hope he will be a healthy boy.

Second, I totally disagree with Linda on putting him down. Call animal rescue organizations in your area. Some of their volunteers may be good at training cats like Bean to make him adoptable - hopefully to a home that already has a female cat.
Luckily I have a very helpful husband who cleans the litter box for me. So I’m blessed to not have that stress or worry.
I really want to do everything possible to do what’s best for him and also my growing family. I’ve contacted a few places and have been turned away because of the level of his aggression. A few places have even told me that they don’t have time or resources to prepare him for rehoming and that he would be euthanized. I’m just so lost on how to handle this :(

linda2147

you are entitled to your opinion catmam, but I would not put up with a cat, that didn't use the litter box, and how aggressive do you think this wildcat will be with a baby? No one will take him, and what if he attacks the sleeping baby ? Personallly I wouldn't take the chance with him. If there is no medical condition and he just won't use the litter box that is not something I would deal with. A dirty cat is a dirty cat, and either make him a barn cat for someone or put him down. He will never be a nice house cat.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Linda, I did not say Bean should just be trained by someone else and go back to Kelly's house. I was hoping he could be rehomed after fostering.

Kelly, there is a show on Animal Planet called My Cat From Hell. I have not watched it yet, but cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy works miracles with bad cats. If you get the channel, watch some episodes.

KellxMogo

Original Poster
Linda, I did not say Bean should just be trained by someone else and go back to Kelly's house. I was hoping he could be rehomed after fostering.

Kelly, there is a show on Animal Planet called My Cat From Hell. I have not watched it yet, but cat behaviorist Jackson Galaxy works miracles with bad cats. If you get the channel, watch some episodes.
Ideally I really would love if he could do well in a home with someone that can give him the accommodations and training he clearly needs. He was doing so well before I got pregnant, so maybe a home without that element would be better suited for him. I just hope someone will be up for the task.

KellxMogo

Original Poster
you are entitled to your opinion catmam, but I would not put up with a cat, that didn't use the litter box, and how aggressive do you think this wildcat will be with a baby? No one will take him, and what if he attacks the sleeping baby ? Personallly I wouldn't take the chance with him. If there is no medical condition and he just won't use the litter box that is not something I would deal with. A dirty cat is a dirty cat, and either make him a barn cat for someone or put him down. He will never be a nice house cat.
I’m so worried about my son’s safety if I keep Bean. I do wish there was a fix-all solution that I’ve just been missing, but at this point I feel my only option is to exhaust all resources in rehoming him to someone more fitted to his needs and hope they have the patience to get him on track behaviorally. Before getting pregnant I made tremendous progress with him, so I know he’s capable of better behavior. I’m just not what he needs right now and it makes me sad because I’ve worked so hard and poured so much love into him.

linda2147

I hear you but there comes a time when its time to throw in the towel and say enough, I'm done with dealing with you. Good luck with whatever you decide to do

BryanB

I agree with the others, you need to be able to focus on your new bub and not worry about possible harm coming to it. I have put off getting rid of the animal that didn't work in our home for too long in the past, and it always causes more stress than it's worth. There can be a real relief and lifting of weight when you do what you've got to do. For example, I always keep roosters way longer than I should! After 2 or 3 weeks of getting woken up at 4 in the morning, I do what I need to do. It's hard doing it though.
I just had a quick look for some articles about it and found these few:
1. how to solve common cat behavior problems
2. how to help stressed cats
3. best way to introduce cats and babies
Good luck!