Cat food after a urinary block

Stupid_crayon

Last year, my 10 year old cat had a urinary blockage. But after an expensive visit to kitty ER, he came back to us just fine.

We switched his diet from his beloved whiskas to the much more expensive urinary tract care dry food and being how picky and averse to change cats are, it took a lot of time to find one that he would tolerate (purina pro plan focus urinary health) and also Hills science diet urinary/hairball wet food.

But the ingredients in the we food still contain traces of calcium carbonate,calcium iodate and copper sulphate

Should that concern me?

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum Crayon. (You definitely are not stupid.) Henry is cute and silly. He looks similar to my first cat. I love black and white cats.

My preference is to feed regular wet cat food (but NOT Whiskas or anything like it) if Henry will cooperate. Dry food makes it worse and in fact is a cause of urinary crystals. Can you feed Henry wet food exclusively that has mostly real meat and no artificial ingredients?

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
My Nile is prone to urinary tract infections. He's been to the vet twice for it. The first time was in 2012, I rushed him to the vet because he was lethargic and whined when I tried to pick him up. He was treated and the vet told me to ensure I only feed him wet food. So I did that, feeding him regular store bought wet food.

Then in 2014 I began to recognize the symptoms from the first time he was sick, but because I had moved to a different province, it was a different vet. They treated him for his second occurrence, and that's when the vet asked why he wasn't on a urinary diet. I had no idea that even existed, and that day I was introduced to Royal Canin Urinary So.

He's been on it since and hasn't had any other issues (other than emergency surgery for his little pica issue). I have since moved back to my hometown and here in this province you need a prescription to buy the food. I will never understand why the first vet never bothered to explain this.

Lately Nile has been getting really picky with the food. I've been switching up the pate and the stew but sometimes I've had to throw a little regular wet in there just to get him to eat something.. He can be very stubborn. He's got an appointment on the 29th to check his overall health and my vet is going to recommend different things to try to get him to keep his weight up.

These urinary issues are complicated.

linda2147

my male bengal had the problem one time, he would not eat the urinary food so after doing some research I found a tiny pill that I crush up and put in each can. No problem since, the pill neutralizes the urine so crystals stones can't form.

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
my male bengal had the problem one time, he would not eat the urinary food so after doing some research I found a tiny pill that I crush up and put in each can. No problem since, the pill neutralizes the urine so crystals stones can't form.
I'll bring that up with my vet, thanks for the suggestion. One crushed pill a day would definitely be way better than trying to get him to eat things he doesn't want to.

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
Update: Nile went to the vet, he's in perfect health and his blood work also came back normal. The only issue is that I had called my vet last month asking for food advice since he doesn't like the urinary food and in the last few months really hasn't been eating enough. I was told that in order to get advice I would have to bring him in for a checkup - I understand they need to make money, and it was good to find out he is healthy, he actually hasn't even lost weight somehow, but after all of that the only thing I was told was to add tomato paste to his food. A $400 bill is an expensive way to get "professional advice" that I could have found on google. I even sent them an email detailing all my concerns and told them about it when I dropped off my cat. They flat out ignored it. Many questions of mine have been left unanswered.

I've been unhappy with this vet since Beck passed away however, so this really just made me decide that I will be taking my cats somewhere else going forward. They were also very rude to me because I wasn't wearing a mask, I didn't have one on me and wasn't told it was necessary until the day before at 2pm, when I had to be at work for 6pm for a 12 hour shift, and my appointment was the next morning. I had ordered 2 cases of urinary food and when I came to pick it and my cat up, the lady came out and tossed the cases on the sidewalk. I picked them up and took them to my car and when I returned she had left Nile sitting on the sidewalk and had gone back inside the building. They've been my vet for years, I would think they would treat their clients with a bit more respect. I understand the mask thing, but if they're that sensitive about it they should provide masks for their clients who didn't have a chance to get one. All in all it was a frustrating (and mostly) pointless experience and they have lost a long term customer.

@linda2147 where did you find out about the pill that you mentioned?

linda2147

that would happen to me only one time, call them and ask for his records and tell them you will not be going back and if they ask why tell them. You can also leave a negative review on yelp or maybe even their website. They edo not like bad reviews but oh well, if you don't want a bad review don't act the way they did so they won't get one.

ZoOK33p3r

Zookeeper
I plan to do exactly that.

In 2007 I took Nile to a place called "The Spay Clinic" and from there I had excellent service. I took him there to get fixed when Nile was starting to spray and the first time they told me that I would have to come back in a month or so because his testicles hadn't dropped (or one hadn't, I can't remember exactly, it was a while ago) A month later I went back and it was still the same thing. I told them he was spraying bad, and they said that unfortunately because of his current condition they would have to do an extra procedure and it would double the cost of having him neutered. I was in college at the time and I didn't have any means to pay for it, but I told them I would use my credit card and figure it out.
When I came back to pick him up after the operation, they handed me the bill. It was just the cost of the neutering, with a note that said the rest of the costs would be waived as an "early graduation present".

The only reason I never went back there is because I didn't realize they were a full veterinary practice, and not just a spay/neuter clinic. I'm going to take Sylvester there to get neutered soon, and if all goes well I will have Nile's medical records transferred over. Then I will let my old vet know exactly how I feel and will leave some honest reviews wherever I can.