Cat has stage 1 kidney failure plus wicked cavity

jettcity88

Hi, all. It seems I'm at a crossroads with my 18-year old kitty. She has stage 1 kidney failure and an awful cavity that makes it hard to eat and causes her a lot of pain. I've read that extreme dental disease can cause onset of kidney failure. I've also been told by my vet that putting her under to take care of her teeth is risky to her already compromised kidneys. So... Which road would you all take in this situation?

linda2147

With a cat that age everything is risky. If it were my cat I'd give her pain meds to keep her comfortable and feed her baby food. Heat it up just a little so she can get the scent and most cats will lap it right up. Or if you give her regular wet food put it in a blender and make it as mushy and soft as possible so she doesn't have to chew it. Obviously no dry kibble that she can't chew

jettcity88

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, linda2147. I've had her on a really loose pate, and still seems to give her problems. :( I'll give the pain meds a go and see if it helps. I'm leaning toward getting at least that one tooth pulled, even given the risks, if it'll make her more comfortable for the time she has left.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Good luck with her, it's a bad spot you're in. I agree with Linda and would avoid putting her under anesthesia for the tooth, pain meds are better option. Also, you can mix the food with water to make it more loose, and please be sure to not have it too hot or too cold. Any extreme temps are painful for any bad teeth. Welcome.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
At this point I would do anything to avoid giving her anesthesia. Both her age and CRF diagnosis make the risk very high she will have problems. I can't speak for anyone else, but rejected the suggestion to have teeth pulled out of my last cat because of her age and CRF diagnosis. If I told my vet OK and she died on the operating table, I could never forgive myself. Aboslutely do give her pain pills that she can tolerate if the vet approves.