Cat is sick I don't know what to do

Pandamoniumgirl

Hello-

So I have a 8 year old cat named Foxy. She got sick around april with what I thought was a UTI then it turned into a ecoli urinary infection we did 3 or 4 rounds of antibiotics...we also did a whole bunch of blood work that came back normal....we also did a xray which showed nothing...she most recently was given an anti-inflammatory but that doesn't seem to be helping at all... since the beginning of July she lost about 1.5lbs she was around 7.7lbs(down from 8lbs in the winter time)....shes also very lethargic...she won't eat unless I bring it to her...she eats very little hard food and will lick the juice/gravy from the wet food i give to her or tuna fish... Next step our vet said would be an ultrasound to see if they find anything...I donno what to do so im seeking some advice and guidance....any insight would be greatly appreciated... thank you...Im so worried and sad.

Pandamoniumgirl

Original Poster
Sorry forgot to mention....I was told in begining of July the infection was gone....i haven't seen any urinary accidents our of the litter box...and no vomiting

linda2147

try feeding her baby food, that is soft and mushy and most cats will lick it right up. she has to eat to get stronger. An ultra sound is a good idea to see if they can pinpoint the problem. Not evryone will agree with me but I'd be giving her colloidal silver, if there is any bacterial infection this will cure it. If you go with the liquid get an eye dropper and if you have to stick it in her mouth and make sure she swallows it. Silver is a natural anti biotic, it won't hurt her and it might help. But if you go with the silver you must give a probiotic as the silver will kill all bacteria including the good bacteria in the gut that the cat needs to stay helthy

Last edited:

Pandamoniumgirl

Original Poster
Omg thank you so much for responding I really appreciate it!!! Im going to buy baby food after work today :)....your right, shes weak from the weight loss so any food I can get in her will be helpful ..I separated her from my other cat last night so now she has her own litter box water food and spot to relax... Our bedroom and bathroom is decent size so I didnt feel too bad leaving her in there with all the essentials haha.... I'm trying to see if she gets stronger maybe she will improve ...Im going to look into the collodial too, I haven't heard of it before.....I will consider an ultrasound and maybe Bloodwork again...the most recent blood work was done at the end of April ...Im just wondering what is an ultrasound gonna show? And if its cancer I feel like I cant afford to treat her 😭...thank you again and thank you for listening ♥

linda2147

if she won't eat the baby food or doesn't seem to be getting better then take her to a vet teaching school or hospital. They won't stop looking until they find the answers to her problem. They are no more expensive than your regular vet and may be even cheaper. They have seen it all so that is the place to go when your regular vet is stumped. An ultrasound will show if there is some kind of blockage, blood work may or may not show cancer. But cancer is a battle you can't win. Chemo would only prolong the inevitable and you don't want her to suffer.

linda2147

f your cat won’t eat, what could be causing it?
There are many causes of feline anorexia including:

1. Reaction to medication. Some antibiotics, for example, can cause nausea in some cats.
  2. Pain anywhere in the body (not just limited to mouth pain)
  3. Changes in the environment that cause stress in the cat, including home remodeling, new furniture or changes in the family dynamic
  4. Aversion to food when a cat feels sick and attempts are made to try to force-feed the cat.
  5. Exposure to toxins
  6. Imbalances in the immune system
  7. Development of ulcers in the stomach or intestines
  8. Inability to smell. Remember, the sense of smell influences a cat’s appetite.
  9. Development of inflammatory bowel disease
  10. Fever
  11. Cancers
  12. Kidney disease
  13. Pancreatitis

Pandamoniumgirl

Original Poster
Hello

I found out yesterday she has a tumor the size of her heart between her heart and lungs. It cannot be operated on...they gave her some fluids and an anti-inflammatory shot and she has perked up alittle which is so nice to see...has been eating alot more and walking around which is great...Not sure how long it will last...Im devastated and so sad....I will make her as comfortable as possible then call an in home euthanasing place once we are ready....thank you for your responses and help I really appreciate it!!

linda2147

One of my bengals had a cancerous inoperable tumor in his chest making it hard for him to breathe, He was not going to get better and had to open his mouth to breathe, I couldn't leave him that way so I had him put down that afternoon. Hardest thing I've even had to do but when the time comes we have to put our own feelings aside and do what's best for the animal. Peace to you and an easy passing for her.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello

I found out yesterday she has a tumor the size of her heart between her heart and lungs. It cannot be operated on...they gave her some fluids and an anti-inflammatory shot and she has perked up alittle which is so nice to see...has been eating alot more and walking around which is great...Not sure how long it will last...Im devastated and so sad....I will make her as comfortable as possible then call an in home euthanasing place once we are ready....thank you for your responses and help I really appreciate it!!
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat, I know you're very sad and upset. I'm glad the shot and fluids helped her a bit, my heart goes out to you, it's terrible when we have to make such decisions for our sickly pets.....hugs, hope you have some quality time with her.