Cat not eating after taking prednisolone?

ieneco01

Hi there, I'm new here and I hope people still use this site, I need help

My 11-year-old cat, Prince, started wheezing every few days, about a month and a half ago. I took him to the vet, who took an x-ray and said it was feline asthma, and prescribed prednisolone for a month. My cat's breathing, weight and fever were all normal.

Prince took prednisolone for 2 weeks and during the third week it was half a pill, then the fourth week, half a pill every two days. During the third week, he gradually ate less and less, and started throwing up a lot whenever he did eat. He was still playing with my other pets but eventually he wouldn't even drink milk or the new cat food I bought (both wet and dry). He slept a lot more and seemed to be hunched up when he lay down sometimes.

I took him back to the vet, who took a blood test and an ultrasound of his stomach. There was nothing to be found, except a low amount of white blood cells, which the vet said may be due to two rotten teeth my cat has ? But he also said rotten teeth should not keep him from eating.

So we stopped the prednisolone about 2 weeks ago, before the end of the fourth week. For a day or two he was eating a bit again and sleeping less. But a few days after that, he stopped eating again and threw up twice. He also wheezed a few times too.

We waited for a while longer, he hasn't wheezed anymore and stopped throwing up, but he still wasn't eating much, for two weeks now! The vet prescribed anti-nausea medicine and antiobiotics, but all he will eat is milk and a little yogurt or cheese. He used to be a glutton :\ I'm so worried.

Thank you everyone!!! :)

linda2147

pred is a steroid and should not be taken any longer than absolutely necessary. It suppresses the immune system so if there is something else wrong it would hide the problem. Pred usually makes them more hungry and drinking more. If he has an upset stomach the vet could give him a shot to settle his stomach, you could also ask the vet for propectalin, (you can also get it online, cheaper than from a vet) you can get it in tablet form in which case you'd give him a quarter to a half pill or you can get in in a tube of jel, just put some on your finger and rub it on the roof of his mouth then he has to eat it because he'll lick it off. Have you tried giving him baby food? chicken or turkey, they usually like that. You could also give him a pepsid ac to settle his stomach.

As far as the anti biotic whatever you do don't let them give him convenia. This is a long lasting anti biotic shot that stays in the system up to six months and has very bad side effects.

By the way, welcome to the forum

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello and welcome! I think that medication usually has a side effect of increased appetite in pets. I've only had to use Prednisone which is a similar steroid. The rotten teeth will cause pain for the cat and seriously affect his overall health for sur as you mentioned having certain effects on the blood, etc. I recommend you have them pulled for the sake of the cat.

Many cats have bad digestion disturbances with dairy, I'd definitely cut out giving him milk and make it very small amounts of cheese. What kind of cat food are you feeding him, canned/wet or dry cat food?

He should be eating a quality canned/wet food with chicken, beef, lamb, turkey, salmon, etc. as the !st ingredient on the list. They need food with moisture to avoid problems with urinary crystal and kidney problems. You shouldn't feed any dry, because with rotten teeth the cat is in pain trying to chew it, and swallowing it whole is not healthy. I don't know how your vet can say that about the teeth and eating. He may eat enough to survive, but not thrive as a healthy cat with painful teeth and infected gums.

Good luck with him, with some changes in diet and dental care he should feel a lot better. :catbutterfly:

Dog Force One

This is a long lasting antibiotic shot that stays in the system up to six months and has very bad side effects.
Ew, that does sound terrible. All that long time it must wipe out a lot of the good bacteria that are so important for overall health. Six months... oh bad.

Tatchase

Hi there, I'm new here and I hope people still use this site, I need help

My 11-year-old cat, Prince, started wheezing every few days, about a month and a half ago. I took him to the vet, who took an x-ray and said it was feline asthma, and prescribed prednisolone for a month. My cat's breathing, weight and fever were all normal.

Prince took prednisolone for 2 weeks and during the third week it was half a pill, then the fourth week, half a pill every two days. During the third week, he gradually ate less and less, and started throwing up a lot whenever he did eat. He was still playing with my other pets but eventually he wouldn't even drink milk or the new cat food I bought (both wet and dry). He slept a lot more and seemed to be hunched up when he lay down sometimes.

I took him back to the vet, who took a blood test and an ultrasound of his stomach. There was nothing to be found, except a low amount of white blood cells, which the vet said may be due to two rotten teeth my cat has ? But he also said rotten teeth should not keep him from eating.

So we stopped the prednisolone about 2 weeks ago, before the end of the fourth week. For a day or two he was eating a bit again and sleeping less. But a few days after that, he stopped eating again and threw up twice. He also wheezed a few times too.

We waited for a while longer, he hasn't wheezed anymore and stopped throwing up, but he still wasn't eating much, for two weeks now! The vet prescribed anti-nausea medicine and antiobiotics, but all he will eat is milk and a little yogurt or cheese. He used to be a glutton :\ I'm so worried.

Thank you everyone!!! :)
Hi, ieneco01,

This thread might be dead but hoping you can help.

Im going through an almost identical issue with my cat currently 10 years old. Has been on prednisone and has lost all appetite.

Can I ask what was the outcome or if you found any solution?

Thanks!