Cat Peeing Outside Litter Box

LunaRose

Luna is about 7 and we've been moved out of my parents house for about a year. She used to be harassed by the other two cats in the house, and even though her litterbox would be clean she'd pee on the bathmat, my floor or clean laundry, or my sisters bed (my sisters cat was particularly awful to Luna so that I think was territorial). Since we've been here she's been a lot better, but she still likes to pee in front of the bathroom door sometimes. My boyfriend speculated that maybe it was the washer and dryer but she seems to do it whether or not they're on. It's confusing because every time I clean her litterbox there's plenty of pee, but she still seems to go in front of the bathroom door. It's not all the time, but anytime is often enough. It doesn't seem to necessarily coincide with her box being dirty either. It feels kind of random. Is it just a bad habit? Is she mad at something? I'm not sure how to get her to stop.

Any help is welcome. Thank you!

linda2147

it could be a bad habit but it could also be something medical. Has she been checked for a UTI that would make her pee on soft things. If its behavioral then you've got a problem, the only thing I can suggest is take her for a medical evaluation and if she has nothing physical then put her in a small room with the liutter box and see if she uses it

LunaRose

Original Poster
Hi, Linda! No she has not recently been checked for a UTI but in the past my family thought that might be the problem and it wasn't. It has been a lot better than it used to be in my family home, but has not gotten better or worse in the last few months. She used to do it constantly, but since moving it's once maybe twice a month. It's not terribly often but again, anytime a pet pees anywhere other than where they're supposed to is too often. I guess I'm looking more at solving a behavioral problem. I would like to try to solve this and get her to stop. Next time she's due for a vet visit I'll bring up the possibility of a UTI just in case but I really don't think that's it. Believe me, she's been brought in for that many times because my family didn't seem to understand how badly she was being harassed by the other cats. That's the main reason I think it's behavioral, I'm just not sure why it's still going on, if she'll eventually stop on her own, or how to encourage her to stop.

linda2147

once it becomes a habit is very hard to stop If you catch her in the act give her a good squirt with a water bottle and place her in the box. If the box is kept clean and there are no other cats to bully her there is no reason she shouldn't be using the box.