Cat seems constipated

Kellim

Hi

this afternoon I noticed that one of my cats was going to the litter box about every 20 min or so but nothing was happening in there.

To to keep an eye on what was happening I’ve taken the dome top off and make sure box is completely clean.

Background on cat:
She is an indoor spayed 12 year old female cat. She is over weight and has been her entire life. I was a foster for her and her brother and sister when they were very young and kept all 3. She has always been over weight, she is about 25 pounds, yet she has always eaten the least of the 3. She barely eats the wet food and prefers dry.

At first today o day I thought she was straining to urinate because I would see small wet spot in litter box, but then I saw a regular size spot after she got out. I also could see her using her muscles that she would use to go poop but there would be no poop in box so I figured she was constipated.
I tried to give her some wet food but she was not interested.
This has been going on for a few hours and now I just saw her make two very small poops, each in a different spot in the living room, then after the second one she scooted her but across the floor.
Suprisingly, the poops were not hard, they were light brown and soft, yet firm enough to pick up off the carpet without it making a mess. There were smaller then a normal poop though.
Could this still be constipation or possibly a blockage?

I understand that she will need to take her to the vet in the morning, I’m just looking for hopefully some knowledgeable advise on what may be going on and is this an emergency?

Thanks

one other thing, I recently switched wet foods. All three cats are picky and would only eat friskeys, but I recently found some different quality human grade wet food that they seem to like. I also started a new dry food last week but also have the previous dry food out as well. And as I mentioned, this particular cat mostly eats dry food, she does not doesnot eat much of the wet.

Last edited:

linda2147

It could be either, it could also be something with the thyroid, if she doesn't eat much as is still fat, I"d have that checked out. Does she drink a lot of water? Not enough water can cause crystals where she's strain to go. If you don't already have one get one, the running water may stimulate her to drink.

If you think she's constipated give her a little milk, that will make the stool soft and runny but at least she'll go. When you are at the vets ask for some propectalin, that will settle her stomach

Kellim

Original Poster
It could be either, it could also be something with the thyroid, if she doesn't eat much as is still fat, I"d have that checked out. Does she drink a lot of water? Not enough water can cause crystals where she's strain to go. If you don't already have one get one, the running water may stimulate her to drink.

If you think she's constipated give her a little milk, that will make the stool soft and runny but at least she'll go. When you are at the vets ask for some propectalin, that will settle her stomach

Thanks for for your reply.

I honestly am not sure exactly how much water she drinks since all 3 cats have the same water bowl. I do have one of the flowing water bowls buts it’s a few years old and does not flow as well as it used to so I think I’ll go get a new one tomorrow.

As faras the urine crystals, I’ve been through that twice with her brother. He did not have to have the surgery, he just had some kind of irritation or infection which antibiotics were able to clear up, luckily.
i thought that was a problem which only effected male cats?

is there any way to determine if she is having a problem with peeing or pooping?
When she gets out of the box there is nothing there.

I will I’ll ask about the thyroid. Her weight has always been sort of a joke around the house because she is about 25lbs, her brother is about 16lbs and her sister is 9lbs. The little one eats the most!

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Most cats with urinary tract blockages are tomcats because they have narrower urethras. Female cats can get blocked eventually - after a much longer period of not getting treatment for crystals. Of course, in this case it appears to be a poop issue.

BTW the muscles you were referring to are called sphincters.

linda2147

Females can get crystals, its more common in males but females can still have them. If her thyroid test comes back normal and she's just fat switch her to senior food. Less calories and she'll still feel full. If you aren't seeing anything in the box she probably isn't doing anything, which is a concern as her straining to go isn't good for her either. Unless you see her go there is no way to tell especially if all three cats use the same box

Kellim

Original Poster
Is she doing this every day?
It just started yesterday afternoon. Today she has just been sleeping all day on the bed. She seems better today but I have not seen that she actually went yet except for the 2 little poops she did out of the box last night. She peed once in the box today and just been sleeping. I’m keeping an eye on her and if she has not gone by tomorrow we will go to the vet.

sam100

hi
my cats just gone from dry food to wet food as she wouldn't eat because of hypercalcemia disease. she has just gone poo after four days and two firm massages by my mobile vet nurse. her constipation was the change in diet. you are supposed to transition changes to food over a three week period. like 10 new biscuits and 90 old type on the first day and then slowly switch over. you have probably upset her tummy but it probably is good to go to the vet as I would hate to put you wrong. lactulose is good for constipation.