Cat sick with excessive thirst and urination vet can't figure out?

WayneN

Hi, my cat is sick with excessive thirst and urination. He's 15 months old, a domestic short hair and ginger kitty about 7 lbs? He's indoor only with no other cats or dogs. His personality is hyper but he's not that active, since he's been sick. He's never been sick before this. Nothing has changed. The environment, food, cat box is the same. The cat box was kept clean and scooped twice a day. Appetite is same but I think he's slightly losing weight? The vet doesn't seen to know what's wrong. Blood panel and urinalysis have rule out all of the usual suspects.

Ruled out:
Kidney failure: Sodium, potassium and creatinine normal
Hyperthyroidism: T4 normal
UTI or other Infection: White blood cell count normal
Diabetes: Urinalysis normal

The vet tried Amitriptyline 10 mg once a day thinking it was a behavioral problem. After a week tried Amoxicillin w/Clav and Metronidazole with no luck. He's been sick for 3 weeks now, so I'm going to get a second opinion at another vet. I was just wondering, if anyone has seen this before? Thanks!

Esme

Sorry to hear about your cat. I've had 2 diabetic cats over the years and that was the first thing that popped into my head. You said that the urineanalysis was normal but did the vet mention what the blood sugar level was? The normal range is about 70-120. But I would do what you're doing and get another vet opinion. Catching whatever it is early should be able to get him treatment. What's your cat's name?

linda2147

Welcome to the forum, I think you are right to get a second opinion. My first thought is diabetes.

KIdney failure would make his breath have a sticky sweet smell
throid would make him gain or loose weight and he'd always be hungry and either be over active or sluggish
UTI would make him not use the litter box, because urinating burns he'd be looking for something soft to piddle on, like a blanket, your bed ect.
Amoxicillin is an anti biotic and if there was no infection as suggested by the blood work it wouldn't do him any good
Metronidazole is for loose stools

Good idea to ask for a second opinion and ask for these tests [FONT=&quot]Laboratory testing that will help determine the underlying cause of your cat’s include a complete blood count (or CBC), a biochemical screen, a urinalysis, and a urine culture. The CBC will look for signs of infection or inflammation in the blood, the biochemical screen will evaluate many different values that are specific to different organs and their functions such as the liver, the kidneys, the gastrointestinal tract, and it will also look at electrolytes like sodium and potassium. One of the most important pieces of the laboratory puzzle will be the urinalysis and the urine culture. The urinalysis will look at you cat’s kidney’s ability to concentrate the urine and also will look for signs of infection. Many of the underlying causes of PU/PD can predispose cats to developing urinary tract infections, so the urine culture, which is a test to grow any bacteria that is present and identify it, is very important in all animals exhibiting these symptoms.

[/FONT]
Hope you find the answer to the cat's problem

WayneN

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies. His name is Fluffy. Yes, the vet doesn't know what's wrong, because he prescribed an antibiotic, when his white blood cell count indicated there's no infection. He didn't seem to want to run a urine sample. I read that these glucose urine test strips can detect sugar in his blood but couldn't find them locally even though it showed on their web sites. I guess the test strips are internet only items but I couldn't wait. So I took it upon myself to show up with a urine sample and asked to have it tested. I read this is the only conclusive way to rule out diabetes which seemed to fit given the blood panel ruled out everything else. But the vet was right in guessing we didn't need the urinalysis, because everything was normal. But he still doesn't know what's wrong. I've had 3 bad vets for another cat last year who I lost to cancer. So I'm concerned about getting a second opinion with a vet who will keep running up the costs of endless tests and keep saying they're inconclusive. I need to find a vet who has seen this before. My current vet hasn't seen this and doesn't know what's wrong.

I've attached the blood panel and urinalysis. Everything is normal except the CPK and RBC is a bit high.

Thanks!

Attachments

linda2147

Is there a vet school near you? These students work under a highly qualified vet and they WILL find the problem and they are no more expensive than a regular vet. Might be something you can look into

WayneN

Original Poster
Linda the vet school is a great idea!

My new vet seems good but this is something weird that he hasn't seen before. He was right in guessing a urinalysis was unnecessary. And he seems to be heading off the urine culture you mentioned by prescribing an antibiotic for bacteria.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it is a behavioral problem but the medication wasn't the right one or it wasn't high enough dosage?

But the vet school idea is GOLD. Thanks so much! I never would have thought about that on my own. Thanks again!

WayneN

Original Poster
Linda, you've been really helpful. I live in the Los Angeles area, so there has to be a vet school somewhere here who will look at Fluffy. Thanks so much!

WayneN

Original Poster
I found a vet school with Linda's suggestion fairly close to where I live. It's not looking good. Fluffy is staying there overnight for surgery tomorrow. It's either a tumor or a bad kidney. The vet did an ultra sound and couldn't tell which. It was so big that they couldn't see around it. So it's either a tumor and the left kidney is behind it, or it's the kidney and there's no tumor. If it's a tumor, she suggested Fluffy should be put to sleep. If it's the left kidney, she said there's no structure to it, so it's gone. But it could be removed and he could live off the right kidney, because the blood test indicates it's functioning normally. But I suspect it's a tumor, because there's a limit to how large a kidney can become enlarged to. By how she described it, it's big. I asked, if it's the kidney, what caused this? She said, it could have been an infection, blockage, congenital....

The vet before this was bad. He didn't do a complete physical like a vet school like this does. The last vet only checked his heart rate, looked into his mouth and said let's get a blood sample. That's why he missed this. But this place checked in his mouth, ears, eyes, heart and lungs, temperature and physical exam. What she found was his heart rate was 210, temp was 103, and found the lump on his left side. She said their normal ultra sound was $300, but she offered an abbreviated ultra sound for $50. I was relieved they could do this there on the spot as well as run all lab tests on the premises. Other vets usually call in vendors to do the ultra sound and it can be as high as $500 and they have to send out for lab results. So this place can get very fast test results. She also questioned the meds the other vet prescribed. She didn't volunteer her opinion, but I kept pushing to see, if that other vet knew what he was doing. She said the Amitriptyline for the behavior modification is usually only used in cases where the cat is urinating out of the cat box. And she said she didn't know why the Amoxicillin w/Clav and Metronidazole was prescribed? So yet another bad vet but I'm glad I found this place.

She offered me the option of putting Fluffy to sleep indicating most likely it was a tumor. It's going to be a few grand, but Fluffy deserves every chance, so I went with the surgery. I'm hoping for the best tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help guys!

linda2147

I'm so sorry the outcome wasn't better but at least now you know. Maybe they'll be able to help him and he won't have to be put down. Please keep us informed. We care

Esme

I truly hope everything will go well for Fluffy and he will recover. You're right and he deserves every chance and you are doing the best for him. Please stay positive and hopeful...I know it's not easy but for me that helps. Fluffy will be in my thoughts today for a good outcome.

WayneN

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply. I was in a dark place yesterday. Fluffy didn't make it. It was his left kidney that they saw on the ultra sound. It was huge with no structure and they couldn't remove it. It had entangled 2 arteries and nerves from the spinal cord. It was congenital given Fluffy's 14 months age. And the right kidney that had taken over the kidney function was abnormally small. He was doomed to renal failure soon. During the initial exam, the vet said kidney function could decrease by up to 2/3 before it shows up on the blood test. I guess Fluffy wasn't meant to be, but he had a good life, and I'll never forget him.

Lessons learned:
1) Always use a vet school if possible (Linda's idea). I cant' say enough about the Western University Collage of Veterinary Medicine. After giving me an estimate of $1471-$1839, they only ended up charging me $388 for surgery, $100 for the previous day including the ultra sound and $110 for the private cremation. The total was less than $600. They did the ultra sound in 10 minutes while I waited. They had 3 people there who could do it. They had those feline leukemia tests done in 5 minutes. This was a big place with a few dozen people working there. The surgery was performed by a team and not just a vet and an unqualified secretary assisting. They called me before they started and several more times during surgery to keep me updated. The surgeon call afterwards and explained everything and why he thought it was congenital. And I didn't have to pay anything or leave a deposit until after the surgery. This place was amazing. I live only around 12 miles away. But I would have driven a few hundred miles to get there for the best care for Fluffy.

2) If the test results and symptoms don't match, a piece of the puzzle is missing. The vet before this didn't take Fluffy's temp or do a physical exam. In and out in 5 minutes to pack in as many appointments in as possible. That's why that vet missed this. So if the test results don't make sense, something was overlooked.

Thanks for your support. And a big thanks to Linda for helping me find a vet who could diagnose the problem.
20161005_171904x (2).jpg20161005_172418x.jpgFluffy_Birthday1 (2).jpg

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Wayne, how very sad your Fluffy is gone, I'm so sorry. May he rest peacefully, he was a beautiful cat. I'm so glad you took Linda's advice and went to the College, they were very nice for charging such a reasonable amount.

Esme

I am truly very sorry for your loss of Fluffy. I was hoping the outcome would be different but life isn't fair. Fluffy was a handsome boy.

Esme

P.S. Fuffy's birthday photo is my desktop background for his memorial. That's a great photo and he looks like he had a great life with you.

linda2147

I'm so sorry the outcome wasn't good. I wish I could have done more to help you and you had a better outcome. But know you did everything you could for him, some things are beyond our control. By knowing what his problem was you saved him for days or weeks of suffering. You did the right thing.

My thoughts and sympathy are with you

WayneN

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your support. I really appreciate it. This forum is the best with caring people. I learned a lot from this experience. My next kitty will only get the best of care. Thanks again!

Esme

Unfortunately we have all lost furry babies and know exactly how you feel. You have to give yourself time to mourn. Take care:love_heart:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thanks everyone for your support. I really appreciate it. This forum is the best with caring people. I learned a lot from this experience. My next kitty will only get the best of care. Thanks again!
As Esme said, we all know how you're feeling....hugs. My dog passed on last August, and now my heart is healing with my new puppy. My furbabies who have left this earth are always in my heart, I'll never stop loving them. Take care and let us know how you're doing. :love_heart:

WayneN

Original Poster
Thanks for your support. When I lost my cat last year due to cancer, that was the darkest day of my life. I paid extra for the pet crematory to stay open after hours and cremate Kahuna and load his remains in an urn. I wanted to take care of it the same night, so it's done. I was waiting in the crematory that night thinking life couldn't get any lower. Well it has. The night before Fluffy's operation I couldn't sleep, because I knew it was over. It was just waiting for the morning to hear from the school that they couldn't save him. That was the worst day of my life now. I had Fluffy for just over a year and now he's gone. I'll never forget him. He was my loyal companion.

Thanks everyone for caring. And thanks Linda for helping get Fluffy the care he deserved.

linda2147

Just remember Wayne we are always here, whether it be advice or just someone to talk to we are here for you. We've all lost a much loved fur baby, we know what you are going through and we are here for you whenever you need us.