Cat Urinating Outside of the Box

AutumnMarie

Hello everyone!
Currently, I have been housing my sister's cat for 2 years(its a long story).
Very recently, I have noticed urine outside if the box. Assuming she was just missing, I cleaned it up. That doesn't seem to be the case. She walks to my front door or the wall and pees on the floor. She still urinates and poops in the litter box as well. Its not that she cant hold it, she walks over and squats and pees.
We have ruled out change in location, household, etc. Medical is also ruled out.
Does anyone have any ideas?

*She is about 6-7 years old and fixed.

TTouch

So number one is medical which you have ruled out hopefully by visiting the vets, then litter box not clean/using different litter/box in a high traffic place, then other pets in the household, all of those also cause stress/anxiety to the cat...and lots of other things can too.like you being upset, change in your work hours, new person coming to the home...basically any change and cats don't like change and will display 'bad behaviours' like this to deal with the stress it causes them

An anxious cat might pee elsewhere as a way to relieve their anxiety because the smell of their own urine makes them feel safer. So the answer is stress, find the reason for the stress and you will change the behaviour

Last edited:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello everyone!
Currently, I have been housing my sister's cat for 2 years(its a long story).
Very recently, I have noticed urine outside if the box. Assuming she was just missing, I cleaned it up. That doesn't seem to be the case. She walks to my front door or the wall and pees on the floor. She still urinates and poops in the litter box as well. Its not that she cant hold it, she walks over and squats and pees.
We have ruled out change in location, household, etc. Medical is also ruled out.
Does anyone have any ideas?

*She is about 6-7 years old and fixed.
Hello and welcome! I would think about cats outside your house, cats who may not be spayed or neutered visiting, spraying on your home or bushes. Even though you have had her for awhile, she my still be a bit insecure and feel a threat by stray cats in your neighborhood. Even if she's fixed, she will react to other cats who may make her uncomfortable or threatened.

AutumnMarie

Original Poster
Hello and welcome! I would think about cats outside your house, cats who may not be spayed or neutered visiting, spraying on your home or bushes. Even though you have had her for awhile, she my still be a bit insecure and feel a threat by stray cats in your neighborhood. Even if she's fixed, she will react to other cats who may make her uncomfortable or threatened.
Hi!
Thank you for your reply!
I have a quick question. Would she do this during the day? I am typically around and we really dont have any other cats outside. We used to but not anymore. I was standing in my kitchen and she walked over not even 4 feet from me and looked at me as she urinated on the floor. I find this very odd.

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is the cat's name?

Since she is doing this at the front door, I would suspect the thing stressing her out is outside or the smell of strangers who came in the house.

AutumnMarie

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is the cat's name?

Since she is doing this at the front door, I would suspect the thing stressing her out is outside or the smell of strangers who came in the house.
Hello!
Her name is Addy!
So, she goes by the front door and also near a wall on the opposite side away from the door. She doesn't go anywhere else but there and in the litter box.

TTouch

So, she goes by the front door and also near a wall on the opposite side away from the door.
So she is marking her room territory, so is stressed and likely as Alpha1 suggested it is she has seen another cat outside or can smell another cat has marked outside...... the other option on smell is what cleaning products do you use as many have amonia in them, such as bleach which to a cat/dog smells like another cat/dogs pee, so if you don't think it is stress of seeing/smelling another cat check what is in the products you use and clean with 50/50 mix of water/white vinegar which nutralises any amonia smell for the cat and also nutralises her own urine marking smell, as once marking starts she 'feels' she has to 'top it up' to stay safe and will return to the same place to do that