CBD oil treatment for arthritic pain in elderly dog

ownedbymypets

Has anyone had good results from using CBD oil for their dog? I have an elderly dachshund who eats well, drinks water normally, and seems to be otherwise healthy, but has stiffness and pain due to age/arthritis. I would like to improve her quality of life, and have heard that good results have been achieved with CBD oil (or treats/supplements) but am uninformed regarding use. Help me keep my little pal with me, comfortably, for a little while longer, please.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I haven't used CBD oil for my pets, but I've tried it for muscle aches/pains myself and found it ineffective.

I have used some joint supplements for dogs in the past and they seemed to help with arthritis, of course if your girl needs real pain relief Rimadyl from the vet can help. I used to give Rimadyl along with a natural supplement with Glucosamine and MSM to my dog, and I believe the supplement helped.

Don't recall the brand name now, but similar to products like Coseqin. Adding a little krill oil or omega 3 fish oil will help too, also a Turmeric supplement can aid in pain from inflammation.

Good luck and nice to see you again. :)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I have to add something about trying CBD oil for your elderly dog's arthritis. It is easily available where I live and is even sold in the local pet store where I buy my pet's food, I'm sure it is by you too. Animals, like people, will respond to different treatments in their own individual ways, what works well for one individual may not work very well for another. There's no harm in trying the oil for a month or two and observe for improvement. If my furkids are hurting, I will try any remedy available, and natural alternative treatments are very often safer than prescription medications which are known for negative side-effects, some very severe.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You're very welcome, wishing you the best and please let us know if you tried it and how she's doing....hugs. PS: I have used the CBD balm and have some at home, it is effective in relieving pain in a targeted area, but balm is not a likely option for a fur baby. :love_heart:

Dog Force One

Banned
Hi OBMP-

My Benny uses this for joint issues, and the difference is like night and day for him:

New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel Extract

Benny weighs 17.5 kg (38.5 lbs) and he takes one half capsule of this product per day, in the morning with breakfast, about a half hour before his morning walk. To get half a capsule, I take a piece of sandwich bread and cut out 1 inch squares with a knife. I make an indentation in each square with my finger and divide one capsule (they open easily) between two squares. Then I close up each square like a homemade capsule with the powder inside. I make four "bread capsules" this way from one piece of bread. The first one I use that day and the other three I put in the freezer to use for the next three days. If your dog is bigger, you will need to up the dose proportionally.

New Zealand green lipped mussel extract is popular for both people and dogs with arthritis, and it works. Benny has been using it for years now.

Hope that helps.

P.S. I'm originally from Issaquah. :- )

Last edited:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My Benny uses this for joint issues, and the difference is like night and day for him:

New Zealand Green Lipped Mussel Extract

New Zealand green lipped mussel extract is popular for both people and dogs with arthritis, and it works. Benny has been using it for years now.
I looked up this thread today and ordered some for my husband. He doesn't have 'arthritis' but he's having some substantial issues with his leg muscles that also affects his hips, from old work injuries. He's been home using a cane for awhile now, not able to go on walks with me and the dog.

I've been giving him a lot of supplements that I think will help him, and he's still using OTC Aleve when needed, but I wanted to try something new that may help. He has no interest in going to a doctor for it or be put on pain pills. If it helps him noticeably, I would definitely use it for my dog (or me) in the future if necessary for arthritis. Will update after he's been using them daily for awhile. Thanks for your suggestion, I was always interested when you mentioned this in the past.

Dog Force One

Banned
Hope it will help your dude, Alpha. :- ) That's gotta suck, not being able to go along on walks. Definitely worth a try. Personally I would worry about taking even Aleve long term, as all the NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug) have come under suspicion of causing unwanted side effects in the long term. Another thing to consider is naturally anti-inflammatory foods. Personally I have taken a fish oil capsule each day for many years (being sure that the brand is tested and safe from heavy metals and other contaminants). Also those capsules that Benny takes contain some amount of ginger, which was added because it is also naturally anti-inflammatory. Have you cooked much with ginger root? I don't like garlic myself, and the flavor of turmeric only goes well with certain kinds of foods, but you can add crushed ginger root to many more sorts of foods. I have some every day, cooked into my lunchtime beans. But you can add it to a stir fry, to vegetable side dishes, sauces, soups... it's a very versatile flavor, and a little goes a long way. Ginger root is not only anti-inflammatory. It has a host of other benefits on overall health. And personally I feel noticeably physically and mentally invigorated after eating something cooked with ginger root. I doubt ginger root is unfamiliar to you, but if for some reason you haven't used it before, just wash the root, peel off the skin, cut off some disk shaped slices, and- importantly- crush them with a spoon or something else before adding them to some cooking. It's important to crush the ginger before use, in order to make the active constituents available.

Of course, if you guys don't like the flavor that ginger root adds, just ignore my out of control enthusiasm. :- )

(Psst! Ginger root is good for your love life, too. [wink-wink])

P.S. Mature ginger root (the more common, large, gnarlly shaped ones with a coppery sheen on their skin) are more flavorful and more effective than young ginger (less common, with a pale, undeveloped skin, often with a pink blush and leaf stalk still attached). Mature ginger works much better for me.

There is also a lot of good information here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/NutritionFactsOrg/search?query=inflammation

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thanks Dog Force. He knows the dangers of using Aleve, but he limits himself to using one tablet only when he really needs it, which is just several times a week, not daily...but it's better than opioids. Neither of us like the taste of ginger, but I have used some ginger supplements. I also give him turmeric/curcumin supplements, krill oil (we eat salmon once a week), vitamin k2, vitamin D3, MSM, glucosamine, magnesium, collagen, etc. He takes an epsom salts bath once a week for 40 minutes.

I bought him a recumbent exercise bike to use at home, and he takes a long walk inside the house every day to help, but both are painful. He also has an electric stimulator TENS unit that he uses at home, also Therma Care heat wraps. It seems that for a long time he's developed adhesions from old injuries and when something moves or loosens, he will get intense pain in a different part of the body, everything is connected and the recovery process is long and ongoing.