Cerenia Danger

SydneysS1

I want to just put this out here and maybe it will save others from a nightmare. I accidentally went to the UK Petforums board first and found quite a few posts about severe reactions (seizures, coma, ultimately death) to cerenia.

Our Yorkie WAS a very healthy, active dog. In an attempt to be a "responsible" pet owner, we had a dental done. The vet had her on antibiotics for 2 weeks, after which she started having loose stools. They gave her more antibiotics (said the blood test indicated pancreatitis).

They gave her a shot of cerenia and said to begin oral tablets next morning. She began exhibiting extreme CNS reactivity to stimulus - any normal sounds of the house and her body would jerk and twitch. As it got worse, I called the vet. On the way to the vet, simply clicking the indicator light caused her to jerk, panic, and then had a seizure. She nearly died in the car but, as I sped crazily the last mile to the vet, I did chest compressions and puffed into her nose (her jaws were locked).

Got to the vet and she questioned if it was even a seizure, even though her tongue was still purple! Argued with me about it being a reaction to the cerenia. She offered to push fluids, even though her abdomen was distended. She agreed to another blood test and it turns out all the antibiotics were the probable culprit and her intestines are leaking fluid into the abdominal wall. Started her on a heavy dose of steroid every 12 hours.

It's 24 hours now since cerenia. She's still having "absent seizures" with almost any stimulus. We're just praying she comes out of it. This is all from casually jamming powerful, synthetic substances into a living being, because we're all programmed to bow to the altar of western medicine - and it amazes me that the docs never seem to think it could be the drug, it must be the animal (at one point, the vet started in on possible neurological problems for God's sake).

If she pulls through, she'll be going to a holistic vet 2 hours away from now on...please beware of this drug. If your vet absolutely convinces you that your pet needs it, at the very least ask for a very small test dose first... and take your chancesI guess.

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is your dog's name?

Those are not "absence" seizures. An absence (petit mal) seizure is the animal doing absolutely nothing while unconscious. You described what is called a grand mal seizure.

Is there any chance you live near a veterinary college? You can get the answers there because they have all the best technology to diagnose such problems. It is also important to get a second opinion from a vet who knows all about synthetic drugs, who may not be the vet two hours away.

TTouch

Hi and welcome.......

I am sorry about your dog it is very scarey when something like this happens and unsure from what you have said why it would be used as it is normally prescribed/given to stop vomiting and motion sickness especially as a known side affect of its use is diarrhea.

Cerenia typically 'wears off' after about 24 hrs however like any drug if your dog is allergic to it and in this case the drug is Maropitant Citrate( branded as Cerenia) , it can trigger an allergic reaction and it 'seems' this is exactly what it has done.
This is a info sheet about the medication https://triangleanimalclinic.net/storage/app/media/Plumbs/cerenia-maropitant.pdf

Neurological is a 'cover all' term (the word neuro means nerve and nervous system) so this medical terminology covers seizures, epilepsy, 'fits', convulsions. Vets will often say "there must have been an underlying/hidden epilepsy condition" they are predisposed not to take responsibility or blame the drug they used. However we as human beings have a logical NEED to make sense of what has happened and NEED to know why and what was to blame, so make (very logical) conclusions. Eg your dog was fit and well prior to this, given this drug it is know not fit and well.
We tend to use the same thinking and terminology that we use in people who have seizures but in dogs/cats they are not the same, some epilesy is inherited while other forms suffered by dogs is unknown https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/seizures-general-for-dogs

Like with any licensed animal drugs and their safety there is a reporting procedure for errors/side affects https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/report-problem/how-report-animal-drug-and-device-side-effects-and-product-problems

Just a personal observation this is yet another drug made by Voetis who also produce other drugs that owners are reporting like the anti allergy drug 'Cytopoint'

My thoughts are with you and your little one and can only hope she has stopped having these seizures

Last edited:

LeonPets

Hopefully everything goes well for you and your pet! Sending prayers your way.

SydneysS1

Original Poster
UPDATE on Jazz: It's now a week since she had the injection of Cerenia, tomorrow morning will be a week since the oral dosage.

She is still easily overestimulated by sounds and any excitement brings on the clenching and trembling of muscles and gag reflex, pupil dilation and sometimes panic.

We are keeping her as quiet as possible and are looking into hemp- derived CBD oil. From all our research, time is the best remedy/hope along with the oil. The naturopathic vet (also a certified "Western Medical" doc) is naturally booked out for weeks, so we're on our own. Fingers crossed. Thanks very much for the responses. We will be reporting the incident, for all the good it will do. Just please, spread the word. Govt agencies are notoriously poor at doing what they were created to do...it's up to the people who love animals to get the word out.

TTouch

Thanks for updating.
Some thoughts:
Nothing can be done 'medically' or naturally until the Cerenia is out of her system 'they say' it wears off after 24 hours BUT an injection of any kind is normally far more potent than pills, as it goes into the blood supply quicker and from what you have said has triggered a reaction of her nervous system, so fingers crossed that is a temporary issue and her immune system can fight it..... so bearing in mind the immune system is what fights illness, injury, viruses then I would be looking at only building up her immune system so she can naturally fight it.
I have no personal experience of hemp/CBD oils but I personally would not be giving her anything especially as her immune system is compromised already because of fighting potential pancreatitis, having anti biotics and then Cerenia and if you flea and worm treat with chemicals too.
One of the most common risk factors of pancreatitis is a dog that scavenge and sometimes the condition is triggered when a dog eats foods high in fat. Severe trauma or surgery can also lead to pancreatitis and it's been linked to the use of some drugs. So what she eats or is given is important make sure it is not high in fat or has additional chemicals in... and that is never made easy as there are plenty of hidden chemicals in anything processed ( kibble) that is not documented and even raw feeding you need to know the source of the meat that has not been given growth hormones/antibiotics
One thing you could give her as an alternative for chemical flea/tick/ worm treatment is 100% pure neem bark/leaf powder it is safe, no chemicals and works I have used it for 30 years and my dogs work with sheep, meet and mix with hundreds of dogs so are very likely to get them and a bonus is it is an immune system builder.
If you have a crate, you could cover it with a blanket which absorbs noises which may help her, just clip the door open so it becomes a den and if you have no crate then go and get a large cardboard box ( like a washing machine sized one) which again absorbs noises that might give her some relief.
As you say time is what she needs however I can feel your frustration and fear when our pets are sick all we want to do is make them better and pleased you are reporting it at least if you report and others do there is a chance of something being done whereas if you don't there is no chance at all

ILovepetBlaire

Thank you for the heads up. Hopefully everything gets better!