Chickens, chickens, chickens.... *Everything chicken!*

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Chickens, chickens, chickens....
Do know what your eating? If not, I think you should look into it more.
One thing to remember: ALL CHICKENS ARE NOT USED FOR FOOD. Lots of people keep a small flock for pets, and the eggs are just a little bonus. Lots of people say, "There's nothing like fresh eggs from your own chickens!" And thats true, I can tell there's a pretty big difference between my back-yard-chicken eggs and store bought eggs.

1. The yokes are much brighter.

2. About the yokes again: They seem held together more than store bought...(which spread out pretty much.)
3. They are of course fresher and.....
4. ....much healthier!

Lots of people in this world know nothing (or very little) about chickens. You should know where you food comes from...and how its raised/grown. When I say food, I'm talking about eggs and meat from chickens. To start off, here are some interesting facts about the egg laying part:

Chickens that are healthy won't get egg-bound as often as chickens that are not healthy. It also depends on what your feeding your hens. You need the right feed depending on what you are using your chickens for and what there age is. For example, you need chick feed for chicks. You need chick grit as well. As they grow up, you change their diet.

Feeding your chickens crushed oyster shell will make the egg shells harder and less breakable. Also, the color of the chicken does not determine the color of the egg. You can tell what color their eggs will be even before they start laying. (About 1 or 2 weeks maybe.) Guess how? By there ear lobes. Yes, its true. White ear lobes mean white eggs. Red ear lobes mean brown eggs. And another thing: Only a few breeds of chickens lay different colored eggs. Most lay brown or white.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
This is a thread about chickens. Feel free to ask if you have any questions. :) I will also update this thread with lots more info pretty often.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
When I was a young child, many many years ago, we used to rent a tiny bungalow for summer vacation after school was out. Normally we had store bought eggs, but when on vacation I walked down the road to the 'duck farm', a small farm owned by two older women who were sisters. The eggs we bought from them did seem to be special and very good, and it was nice visiting a farm like that with chickens, ducks, horses, etc.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
When I was a young child, many many years ago, we used to rent a tiny bungalow for summer vacation after school was out. Normally we had store bought eggs, but when on vacation I walked down the road to the 'duck farm', a small farm owned by two older women who were sisters. The eggs we bought from them did seem to be special and very good, and it was nice visiting a farm like that with chickens, ducks, horses, etc.
Yeah, like I said - there is a difference.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
The Easter Egger is one of the few breeds of chickens that lay colored eggs. Here is some info on this breed:

Cold hardiness: Hardy in winter
Heat tolerance: Tolerates heat well
Bears confinement: Yes
Especially docile: Yes
Setter/broody: No
Personality: Fun
Rarity: Common
Comb type: Pea comb
Size: Small (4-5 lbs)

Easter Eggers lay eggs that are considered "colored". They are not very bright colors, but still beautiful. The colors are usually Green/Blue/Pink/Multi and the egg size is X-large.
This breed is quite friendly and docile, but rooster temperament can vary because roosters are roosters....sometimes you get a really friendly, somewhat quiet one. But I'm sorry to say most roosters are loud and pretty mean, although most roosters - no matter what their temperament - protect the flock of hens.

This is sometimes the case with a "mean" rooster. (Now we are talking about roosters in general, not the Easter Egger breed.) What 'goes on' in their head is this: "Oh, I need to protect my hens from this big moving thing!", which is you. So, that can be one of the reasons why roosters fly up at you, to beat you with their wings or scratch you. They think you are getting to close to "their" hens. That is why lots of people don't keep roosters.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Next up is information on the Buff Orpington chicken, so stick around for that!
______________________________________________________________________________________
NOTE: I'm not a complete expert on chickens yet, so some of this information is from a chicken forum I'm on and from different chicken websites.